Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fair price for used LBGE

Options
My mother in law is looking at a used Egg for her husband.  It has a table w/ cover, pizza stone, and cast iron grate.  They are asking $500.  I told her I wouldn't pay anymore than that, given there is no warranty.  Not sure how old it is, either.  What do you say?
Franklin, TN

Comments

• Moleman
    Moleman Posts: 372
    Options
    Half price seems to be the norm on the forum. Size would matter. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    The condition of the table, bands/hinge, and obviously ceramics (including the firebox/ring) would be a deciding factor on pricing for me. If I sold my egg right now I’d have to discount for the bands being at the end of their life. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    That'd be a fair price (considering good condition) with those accessories. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    The condition of the table, bands/hinge, and obviously ceramics (including the firebox/ring) would be a deciding factor on pricing for me. If I sold my egg right now I’d have to discount for the bands being at the end of their life. 
    I told her I would go look at it with her.  It looks like its in good shape in the photos but you never know.
    Franklin, TN
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    I told her I would go look at it with her.  It looks like its in good shape in the photos but you never know.
    Right.  Bring a flashlight and look at the bottom.  Empty the egg out and look at the firebox and bottom. Look for for a crack in the bottom grate.  Look at the silicon around the bottom vent.  If anything looks worn or needs to be replaced, lower the price and state the reason.  If you are there, and are super nice about it all, it is hard for them to let you leave if they want to let it go. 
    Good luck! 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited April 2020
    Options
    I wouldn’t pay over $200 for one but that’s my own personal opinion. The reasoning behind that is I have had my egg for 7-8 years and have had at least $300 (conservatively) of warranty claims  (bands , platesetter, firebox , bottom grate). If you pay $500 and have the same experience then you should have just bought one new. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,434
    Options
    Paid $350 for a used “medium” for our lake house. Show up to pick it up, it’s actually a large. Guy used it once and hated it....so, I’d say depending on the conditions of the table and the bands, hinges, base....$400-450 max
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Moleman said:
    Half price seems to be the norm on the forum. Size would matter. 
    What?? No jokes on this yet?? You guys are slipping....
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • KGilma2018
    KGilma2018 Posts: 120
    Options
    etherdome said:
    I wouldn’t pay over $200 for one but that’s my own personal opinion. The reasoning behind that is I have had my egg for 7-8 years and have had at least $300 (conservatively) of warranty claims  (bands , platesetter, firebox , bottom grate). If you pay $500 and have the same experience then you should have just bought one new. 

I do agree, I told her she should just buy a new one because the warranty is worth a lot money.  My egg is about 2 years old and I've already got a crack in the firebox.  
    Franklin, TN
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    I am somewhat of a used egg dealer. I sell larges I refurbish (clean burn, new gasket, and shine up) for $500-$600 frequently. I usually pay $150-$300. I know it’s a weird hobby but it’s fun and has funded my bigger egg purchases. My point to all of this is the question of whether $500 is a good deal depends on the side of the deal you are on. You can find them cheaper with patience, but you could be waiting six months. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    Ive replaced under warranty, the base, bands, numerous fire boxes and several rings. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    I paid 600.00 for an XL with a table and a plate setter 2 years ago. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • attaboy
    attaboy Posts: 30
    Options
    I paid 600.00 for an XL with a table and a plate setter 2 years ago. 
    I would definitely consider that a win. I’m pretty jealous right now.
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    It's not if the egg will crack but when the egg will crack.

With that said, I have had my large egg for 10 years. The only warranty claim I've made for large is some light flaking on the inside dome and a small crack in the firebox. My replacement parts have sat on the shelf for last four years. I never even bothered switching them out. My egg is stored inside when not in use. So maybe that has saved it some abuse but it sees all kind of temperature swings here in MN. I've been pretty fortunate without having constant issues with it.

If you buy used you might get 10 years out of it. If you buy used you might get 10 days out of it. It's a gamble. We here on the forum use the BGE way more than your average egger. So the chances of something cracking is a lot higher for us. Maybe not so much for your average griller. 

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota