Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Outdoor table build progress

Options

Comments

• speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    Options
    Thanks. I flooded the area with a hose and it drains. The slab is pitched in the right direction. The L shape is not a 90 but about 130 so it doesn't trap water. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • speed51133
    Options

Installed the slabs. Now trying to figure out what size circles to cut in the cement board. I need a cloth tape measure. 

• speed51133
    Options

• speed51133
    Options
    I keep changing my mind on what kind of veneer to use. Right now I am leaning towards cultured ledger stone, thinking slate might delaminate from constant freeze/thawing (see below for the cultured stone I am thinking of using). I have seen it on slate pavers. Not so much on outdoor siding, but that stuff is usually 1-1.5in thick. I can only fit a max of .75. Most of that stuff says indoor/outdoor but you only really see it indoors. Other natural stones (not slates) are crazy expensive for this project (15 to 25 bucks sq ft).
  • speed51133
    Options

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    edited May 2020
    Options
    That's a lot of blood, sweat and tears you've put in this project to turn around slap some fake stone veneer on. I'd rather just do stucco. How much is flagstone in your area? That would make a good durable natural veneer and isn't overly thick. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • CTMike
    CTMike Posts: 3,247
    Options
    You might give some thought to coating the Durock with RedGard prior to veneer. It will make the board waterproof, can usually get it at Home Depot.
    MMBGE / Large BGE / XL BGE (Craigslist Find) / SF30x80 cabinet trailer - "Ol' Mortimer" / Outdoor kitchen in progress.  

RECOVERING BUBBLEHEAD
    Southeastern CT. 
  • Sweet100s
    Sweet100s Posts: 553
    Options
    @speed51133 thanks for posting.  Beautiful project. 

Where did you source those fascinating round metal flanges?    
    I don’t recall seeing those on other table builds.
  • jdMyers
    jdMyers Posts: 1,336
    edited May 2020
    Options
    I keep changing my mind on what kind of veneer to use. Right now I am leaning towards cultured ledger stone, thinking slate might delaminate from constant freeze/thawing (see below for the cultured stone I am thinking of using). I have seen it on slate pavers. Not so much on outdoor siding, but that stuff is usually 1-1.5in thick. I can only fit a max of .75. Most of that stuff says indoor/outdoor but you only really see it indoors. Other natural stones (not slates) are crazy expensive for this project (15 to 25 bucks sq ft).
    I can relate.  Pictured is black natural ledger stone.  Mine is just on top and accent and its ridiculously high priced as well as fragile when cutting.  Its chips so easily.  Im excited about your build.  Also love the egg circle rings.  Great idea.  Wish i would of thought of it.  I put a drawer under my egg.  The drawer width screwed me from enclosing the egg like you did.  Love that look.

Columbus, Ohio
  • speed51133
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Thanks for the comments. The ring is plastic. It is just a form for the concrete. It breaks off after the concrete is cured. 
    https://www.concretecountertopsolutions.com/product/bendable-square-form

I have matching forms to install around the island I have yet to install. It's 27 degrees right now, might not do it today.
  • speed51133
    Options
    Getting closer! Pouring Saturday. 
  • craigsotheregg
    Options
    Coming along great. You have inspired me. I've been looking at that  concrete counter website you posted. Don't forget to vibrate and vibrate again. Have fun Saturday!
    XL BGE
    Malden, MA
  • jdMyers
    Options
    Im excited for you.  Weather permitting i will have my countertop tomarrow...  
    Columbus, Ohio
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Fahkin' bada$$
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I just started making plans for a new table to house a large and a MiniMax.  And based on the bananas-level construction of this monster, I will not be showing you my table.

It reminds me of the old Johnny Carson show where Bob Hope, Dean Martin were on the panel, and George Gobel came out third.   He said "You ever get the feeling that the world was a tuxedo, and you were a pair of brown shoes?" 

Seriously, nice work.  You guys have crazy talent. Looking forward to seeing the finished product. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• BGNMI
    BGNMI Posts: 20
    Options
    Really nice. 
  • speed51133
    Options
    Installing the reenforcement

• speed51133
    edited May 2020
    Options

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,650
    Options
    Looks good, those guys are not afraid of making a mess!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    Options
    Those guys? That was me
  • speed51133
    Options
    And now it's drink time
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Sorry I didn’t recognize you without your earring 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Really fantastic project- you are going to love that setup and will appreciate it even more with all of your sweat equity.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • jdMyers
    Options
    man that is beautiful
    Columbus, Ohio
  • speed51133
    Options
    Sorry I didn’t recognize you without your earring 
    I didn't get the joke. Sorry 🤨
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I didn’t realize that was you working the concrete top, don’t know what you look like, didn’t get a card last Christmas. Keep up the good work buddy
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• speed51133
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Oh, I just assumed everyone looks at the  closeup of my profile pic. I'd gladly include you in the Christmas card list. Please provide address. 
  • speed51133
    Options

Time to get to work....
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    This thread slowed down.  Any updates? 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• speed51133
    edited May 2020
    Options
    Haha. It did indeed. That is mostly because of setback that was really disappointing. I mixed the concrete with a retarder to give me more time to work the mix. Unfortunately the retarded reacted poorly with the mix. The concrete manufacturing company was very helpful but ultimately stated they do not test it for all conditions. Note, adding retarders is a very normal thing in the concrete world. 

The overall effect was the surface never really cured after 4 days. It was like clay. I took out the diamond grinder and grind it all down until it was solid. Here is the worst part the rest was about 1/8 to .25in.

The part I dug out in the picture was like oatmeal after 4 days. It actually cured solid in the door pit after a few more days. Who knows if it works have been ok. 

I repoured the dug out area and used a bonding adhesive for the cold joint. I then roughened out the new pour.  All the top corner edges of the slab were really soft. So I chiseled them all if and used a special mix to fix them and ground it back to a sharp edge. 

Now I will be adding a topical overlay skim coating to make it all even and smooth. I'll be doing that today. 

This was very frustrating and disappointing but I was able to salvage it. In retrospect I should have had 4 people helping and no retarder. I used a drum mixer and the concrete manufacturer said I should have used a paddle and 5 gal bucket to really agitate the polymers in each bag of the mix. I used the drum to speed it up. The mix sets so fast. By the time you are in the second bucket the first is already not flowing. I used a total of 15 bags. So 3 guys mixing with buckets and one pouring and screedning. Not really practical when a diy protect. A different mix would have helped but this was all I can get locally. Online orders had about 150$ in freight. 

I'll update Monday.