Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE Meat Thermometer Died

Options
I’ve had an instant read BGE meat thermometer for less than a year. It died about a month ago and I assumed it was the batteries. Put fresh ones in, but the unit is completely dead. Anyone else have this problem?

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan

Comments

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I think I heard that thermapens were on sale. The thermapop is a good bit cheaper, and a great option. The Javelin folks posted a discount code a while back, and that was also a great option. 

I personally know that Thermoworks customer service is top notch. For the price, the Javelin Pro (or whatever it’s called) is hard to beat. 

I’m almost certain that any of those would beat the BGE thermo that crapped out after a year. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited April 2020
    Options
    caliking said:
    I think I heard that thermapens were on sale. The thermapop is a good bit cheaper, and a great option. The Javelin folks posted a discount code a while back, and that was also a great option. 

I personally know that Thermoworks customer service is top notch. For the price, the Javelin Pro (or whatever it’s called) is hard to beat. 

I’m almost certain that any of those would beat the BGE thermo that crapped out after a year. 
    Yep. Lavatools.com had a 15% discount on their site. Code egghead. Dunno if it still works. Free shipping for purchases over $30 too. Javelin pro is excellent. Had mine for a couple of years. Every bit as good as the T-Pen.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• butt_juice
    butt_juice Posts: 129
    Options
    The Javelins are nice tools. Can't hardly beat it for the money. 
    South Central Kansas
    Instagram: @midwest_voyager
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Owning both of the above mentioned thermos (I was not aware of the Javelins some 9 years ago (did they exist??)) I would go with the Javelin for the $$. I have purchased a couple of their lower-end thermos as gifts (plenty quick enough response) and the recipients really like them.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited April 2020
    Options
    Thermopen and Javelin both Awesome , Javelin has a magnet which " can" be nice...ive abused both and they keep ticking 

Pay no attention to the squinting bald guy 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    I just got a javelin pro this week when my lcd on the thermapen went out.  I’m going to check on repair for it (thermoworks is said to be great) when stuff calms down a bit. It was 9 years old so I can’t complain I think I only changed the batteries 2 times (once was to check the lcd).  The javelin is just as nice and like $49 on amazon.
  • QDude
    QDude Posts: 1,052
    Options
    I thought that the Thermapen and Javelin were equal in quality until last year.  My Javelin broke after less than 2 years when I simply opened it up.  The plastic housing snapped near the base of the probe and the unit was dead after that.  It was kept indoors and used maybe twice a month.

On the other hand, my Thermapen has been going strong for over five years.  I guess you get what you pay for.

Northern Colorado Egghead since 2012.

XL BGE and a KBQ.

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    QDude said:
    I thought that the Thermapen and Javelin were equal in quality until last year.  My Javelin broke after less than 2 years when I simply opened it up.  The plastic housing snapped near the base of the probe and the unit was dead after that.  It was kept indoors and used maybe twice a month.

On the other hand, my Thermapen has been going strong for over five years.  I guess you get what you pay for.

My experience is the opposite.  I have 2 javelins that have been great.  1 of my 2 thermapens was so infuriating I finally threw it out.
    NOLA
  • Dawgtired
    Dawgtired Posts: 632
    Options
    I bought the BGE thermometer at the last minute for a cook when my thermopen drowned in a rainstorm. I also had the newer model that was water resistant but it got slammed in a drawer and cracked the casing. I can neither confirm nor deny that that one may have also been left out in the rain. Called Thermopen and repairs are $30. Guess I’ll send those in and chuck the BGE.

If we ever forget that we are One Nation Under God, then we will be a nation gone under.

Ronald Reagan