Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Brisket Transport

Options
WanderJax
WanderJax Posts: 2
Hello fellow EggHeads!

I have a question for those that have had to store and transport a brisket. 

Typically I'm a pull it off the Egg let it rest for a little while then slice and serve kinda guy. I've transported many a pork butt to parties and other occasions so I go with the foil/towel/cooler method. My question is does anyone follow that same method for a brisket?

I put a 15lb prime packer on the Egg about 20 minutes ago. My plan is to take it to the shop tomorrow right before lunch to feed my employees (in a sanitary manner of course, these are weird times) as a little moral booster for my awesome people. We are an essential business in Florida and everyone is a on edge still having to come to the shop. We have a lot of work to do and everyone has been hanging in there, if they can, to keep our business going and I wanted to show some appreciation.

How do you guys take a brisket places? I've never wrapped a brisket before. I usually have the time to let it do its thing on the Egg and it always comes out with a great bark and moist as can be thanks to the awesome power of the BGE.  I would like to take it whole and slice to serve it. I assume FTC is the way to go but if anyone has any suggestions they will be appreciated!

Comments

• GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,677
    Options
    The method you describe will work for brisket also. I don't wrap in foil because it will destroy the bark, I use the pink butcher paper. I normally wrap in the paper in place the pork butt or brisket in a large disposable aluminum pan. I then place it in the cooler and cover with a towel. It stays hot for hours and the bark holds up reasonably well.
    Keep in mind the brisket needs to cool to at least 160 Deg before slicing. This means it needs to be out of the cooler for an hour or so before slicing.
  • WanderJax
    Options
    I've heard of the butcher paper trick. I guess it lets it breath a little more and doesnt steam.

Does anyone pull the meat off early to let it come to temp in the foil? I didnt think that possibly that could be an outcome.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    bark will hold up a little better in paper but will still be pretty soft after a long hold in a steamy cooler. I prefer paper but foil works just fine. Use what you have and your team will be very happy with your effort to show them some appreciation. Good on you.

Only advice I would give is to let the brisket sit out 15-20 min or so to allow the temps to start to come down a little before throwing in the cooler. If you throw it in right of the egg the temps can continue to rise quite a bit and you can end up with an overdone brisket.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    You will be surprised how long it stays hot in the cooler. Just don't open it till you are ready to let it sit before slicing.

Treat it like you PB's
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I go with the BP if the bark is where I want it during the cook or run nekked to the finish-line.   Then once it crosses the finish-line I will unwrap and give it the cooling rack rest as highlighted and important by @The Cen-Tex Smoker above. 
    After that I will wrap in HDAF for the hold aka FTC (depending on cooler and prep work) which can easily run 2-6 hours or more.  FWIW-
    I find that if you arrest the carry-over cook (rest period) then the foil does not really impact any bark degradation but by the time I get there I have had many adult supervisory beverages thus judgement could be in question.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.