Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

smoke escaping between lid and base

Does anyone else have smoke escape between lid and base?   Ever since I changed to the new hinge I have had smoke escaping here as well as the expected top.  There is no noticeable gap between lid and base although I will say that it doesn't pass the dollar bill test all the way around.  This mostly happens when the smoke is the thickest right after putting the chunks/chips in.  Also, just for full disclosure, I have a rutland gasket as many do, only on the bottom half.   I don't have any problems holding temp but it just bothers me somehow. Just wondering if this is something many people live with or if anyone has a solution specifically  with the new hinge.  Definitely want to be careful here as at least I have good alignment! 
Upstate SC
Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Loosen the top band and push down on the dome. Re-tighten.

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    Seems like I tried that on the day I put the new bands on only for it to do the same again but it’s worth a try ...
    Upstate SC
  • I had to marry an original top to a new base with the new band setup. I had throw the spacers they give you away. I could not get a good seal with the spacers. like @ColtsFan said, just go with loosening the top band and finding what position is the tight fit all the way around.
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    Are you tightening the holy bejesus out of the band bolts?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• etherdome
    Are you tightening the holy bejesus out of the band bolts?
    are you asking if I am over tightening or asking if I am tightening enough?
    Upstate SC
  • etherdome
    Upon further inspection part of the problem may be with the Rutland gasket itself. I noticed that in some places it has become super flat with a hard film over it. Literally like a polished granite stone. Going to get the film off and rough it up a little bit in order to return to original texture and see what happens. 
    Upstate SC
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,597
    @etherdome I though maybe your band bolts were loose and shifting. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,669
    used to go gasketless with the old band, not possible with the new band. it seems to hold the dome higher without the extra adjustment
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    I have always gotten some smoke near the rear even after changing gaskets and adjusting.   It has never caused a problem so I just leave it alone.  It is not a lot
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Could be a leak or something.  I dunno.
    I got a new lid and base and after rebuilding there is a slight underbite that is only irritating after it rains as the gasket is not wet... oh well.

But in one of the early uses I had a nice cook going and after shutting the lid I had smoke come out of the bottom, top and between the lid.  I stood there thinking WTF was that.  Hasnt happened since but I still dont know what happened.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • etherdome
    edited April 2020
    The problem here was the Rutland gasket that had flattened almost into a smooth glasslike surface with the help of grill gunk and pressure. Scraped it off .roughed it up a bit and we are we back in business with minimal to no leak. also loosened everything and retightened while I was at it. thanks
    Upstate SC