Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Plate ribs

Options
Threw on a couple racks of beef plate ribs. Played around with the seasoning a bit. Lea and Perrins splashed all over, light coat of Butchers private selection followed by another light dusting of dirty bird hot and a heavy coat of cow cover, finally I sprinkled some Suckle Busters 1836 all over. The 1836 has some heat and is a much coarser grind than all the others. We shall see. Four chunks of oak over my Rockwood. Gonna wrap after about 3-4 hours I’d say. 

Comments

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,407
    Options
    Standing by as that is brisket on a stick waiting for you.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    Lookin' GREAT!
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    fine looking wibbies!
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I think the second rack was just a better product from the jump. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Those look fantastic!
    Stillwater, MN
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    @pgprescott, just picked some of these up. You wrapped at what IT? Cooked to what IT like a brisket? 160&205 ish? Looking for guidance and yours look delicious 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    @pgprescott, just picked some of these up. You wrapped at what IT? Cooked to what IT like a brisket? 160&205 ish? Looking for guidance and yours look delicious 
    Yeah, that’s the guide points. I like to make sure you get a decent bark on them. I’ve wrapped with foil, butcher paper, and in a pan covered with foil. The bark will soften due to the wrap, but as long as you had it set good before the wrap, it will survive ok by my standards. If you have to run over 160 to get a good bark, do so. That’s not uncommon when cooking on an Egg due to the moist environment. They will probe like butter when done. 200-207. Good eats! Enjoy!
  • pgprescott
    Options
    I see I used Leah and Perrins on these but I have also used hot sauce as a binder and it’s also fabulous. The heat dissipates but, and this could be my imagination, you get some flavor on the base layer. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,125
    Options
    Love beef ribs!  I like them personally, because they are much more forgiving then brisket.  My goal is always for my brisket to equal beef ribs (has never happened for me).  Only problem is they are hard to find in stores around here.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    Wrapping mandatory? What about trimming anything off? I don’t wrap briskets. Just trying not to mess this up. Thanks for your help
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Wrapping mandatory? What about trimming anything off? I don’t wrap briskets. Just trying not to mess this up. Thanks for your help
    Not at all. Let her ride. The wrap just helps tenderize them but you should get there just fine either way. I feel that the wrap widens your window for success. It doesn’t mean you can only succeed with a wrap method. 
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Love beef ribs!  I like them personally, because they are much more forgiving then brisket.  My goal is always for my brisket to equal beef ribs (has never happened for me).  Only problem is they are hard to find in stores around here.
    I rarely see them out, but the butchers sometimes have them in cryovac 2 packs in the back. They either cut them up into pieces or use them for other things. I ask the store butcher and have had about 50% success. I know it could be regional.