Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

1st brisket questions

Options
2»

Comments

• StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    You can also soak some wood chips for a minute and toss those in and it will bring the temp down, but water in the drip pan is easy enough.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    The cubes let me pin point the shots although the fire was of a magnitude that accuracy was not really in play.   B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,521
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Below is a bit of excitement that was caused by rendered fat from a brisket:
    "The adventure I had with my first SRF Gold:  Overnight cook and around 7 AM I'm up. Cruising around 270*F, cow at about 170 and smelling good.  BGE dome thermo easily visible from my desk.  Around 7:30 AM or so the BGE temp starts to take off-WTF?  Clearing 300*F and not slowing down.  Time to sort this out.  Now passing 310*F and no end-point in sight.
    Run with a PSWOO-2.  Pull everything out and have a nice grease fire going at about the 2 O'clock position.  Grab around a dozen ice cubes and toss on the fire.  Get it throttled.  Reload the BGE and continue on-all's well that end's well. What a treat after the near heart attack.
    Upon instant assessment, turns out I had lined my air-gapped 14" drip pan with HDAF and created a channel where the excessive fat renderings flowed down into the lump.  Once the fire got there-away it went.  Never had that happen before or since.  I pay more attention to the foil folding now."
    FWIW-
    Woah, so you use ice cubes to reign in the temperature?? Cool!! Yesterday when cooking my robs, I got the dome at 275F perfect. Open the lid to place the racks and poof, a fire broke out. Shot to 400F, but when I closed the dome, it came down and settled at 330F. I had to take off the racks and let it cool naturally. Lost an hour getting it back to 275F.

So can a just throw in some ice cubes and get her cooled down more quickly like that??
    You can also use a few tablespoons of water on hot spots. It’s faster :) 
    Thanks, I'd prefer to throw some ice cubes in though, I can do that without having to pull the Conveggtor. So on an XL a dozen ice cubes will do it??
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!