Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Torch hei

Options
HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,345
A key element of achieving wok hei is having a heat source that is not too different from an afterburner of a fighter jet. Most of wok hei results from the oil droplets that arise from tossing ingredients basically being ignited by the flame of a wok burner in afterburner mode. That's not something that can be achieved by a wok used on an electric or home gas stove.

However, if you use a torch for lighting your charcoal there is yet another useful purpose for that torch - torch hei! Serious Eats posted an article today about using a gas torch to achieve a close to "real" wok hei absent a proper wok afterburner.
Interesting read and a technique that I thought some folks here might be interested in giving a go since wok-king on an Egg generally does not provide the sort of flame needed to "light up" the food being tossed:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Very cool article and thank you for sharing. The blow torch will be used while cooking for our children who are elitist snobs when it comes to asiatic fare. (Their mother's influence, not mine.)

Me.....I get my kick at the "Wok and Go"...they also sell red t shirts with yellow print..."I know it's only Wok and Go, but I like it." (A little homage to the upcoming Stones tour June 16 in Louisville)

Again thanks for the link.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    Options
    😳

Options
    SciAggie said:
    Quote from the article:
    "First, let's face it: Who in their right mind is going to fire up a grill just to whip up some beef and broccoli on the fly?"

I'm guilty and feel like I'm being attacked by that statement, lol...
    I did that very thing last night.
    Nobody in their right mind would do such a thing.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    @SciAggie

My only attacks are from envy on the meals you continually produce and share with us on the forum.

Always exceptional, and in a way I feel as though I am constantly under attack.

If what you are doing is not right, sign me up to that bad boy club.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Very interesting, thanks for posting; I'm anxious to try this.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• OhioEgger
    Options
    Makes sense to me. If you've ever been in the kitchen of a good Chinese restaurant you've seen the flames coming up under the wok. They have seriously large diameter gas lines going into the kitchen!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    That's a neat hack. I can't get green beans to blister quite like they do at the restaurants, but maybe this will do it.

And  I wonder if a Searzall would work even better because of the wider head on it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Botch
    Options
    Wonder if this could be adapted to my gas range; $59 at Amazoid:

Hmmmm...

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I always thought having one of these would be cool... =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,515
    Options
    Interesting, time for @Tspud1 to fabricate a clamp to hold torch over BS?
    canuckland
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Quote from the article:
    "First, let's face it: Who in their right mind is going to fire up a grill just to whip up some beef and broccoli on the fly?"

I'm guilty and feel like I'm being attacked by that statement, lol...
    I did that very thing last night. Pork and broccoli on the MM.

At least twice a week!  Last night:  

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    When my wife gives me the side eye for bringing my harbor freight pear burner in the kitchen, I’m pointing to this thread.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    @smbishop Nice. We’ll share a room in the nut house I guess. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Bump. 

This thread came to mind when I was cleaning out the fridge to make some fried rice last week. Picked the lazy mod, and just ran a butane torch over it to get some charred bits. 

Turned out better than expected. Trying to flip and toss the rice would have resulted in a good portion of it being on the floor, so this worked out very well. 

• Botch
    Options
    I just watched a Kenji video yesterday, where he torched while wokking but also torched the noodles that he had spread out on a baking pan before adding them to the wok.  They kinda stuck together, not his best work.  

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    caliking said:
    Bump. 

This thread came to mind when I was cleaning out the fridge to make some fried rice last week. Picked the lazy mod, and just ran a butane torch over it to get some charred bits. 

Turned out better than expected. Trying to flip and toss the rice would have resulted in a good portion of it being on the floor, so this worked out very well. 
    That was probably just the pepper that charred.

Options
    caliking said:
    Bump. 

That was probably just the pepper that charred.

Nope. Don't usually add any, because caliprince isn't a fan.

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    edited December 2020
    Options
    I got this.  It was the salt that charred.