Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Gas oven not working - any pointers?

Options
SonVolt
SonVolt Posts: 3,314
edited January 2020 in Off Topic
 Last night neither the stove-top or the oven would heat up. The pilot lights inside the oven and broiler were glowing when turned on and the electric range starters were firing away with a blue spark, but no gas seemed to be flowing. I didn't have time to investigate last night and I didn't smell gas so figured I'd wait until I get off work today to look into it. 

Before I call a repairman, is there anything I should check on my own? The gas shut-off valve will be the first thing I look at it. It's a 10+ year old GE Profile gas range/oven. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Probably a clogged orifice. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Anything else in the house operate off NG? The glow is from the electric igniter, not a pilot light.

I would look at the gas valve. There may be a stuck solenoid. Google the model number and you'll get an exploded view. They're pretty simple appliances.

Now I'll let one of the professional chimes in.

That's what's so awesome about this forum. There's always "a guy"
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SonVolt
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    Anything else in the house operate off NG? The glow is from the electric igniter, not a pilot light.

I would look at the gas valve. There may be a stuck solenoid. Google the model number and you'll get an exploded view. They're pretty simple appliances.

Now I'll let one of the professional chimes in.

That's what's so awesome about this forum. There's always "a guy"

Thanks. The gas grill, water heater and furnace all run off the same underground propane tank and all appear to be working fine except for the oven. 

Thanks for the tips!
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,757
    Options
    gas control lockout sometimes when power is lost

first thing that pops up on google, dont know if this will work, my range is an old school cluny

On many GE Profile ranges, the 9 and 0 buttons on the keypad control the lockout feature. Try pressing and holding those buttons at the same time for 3 deliberate seconds. Check the control for other lockout features

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    pull the range out and disconnect the gas line (there should be a shut off back there).  Briefly turn on the gas and make sure it's flowing.  Probably is.  If it isn't, there's a supply problem upstream and your range is likely fine.  If it is flowing, you may have a safety valve that's bad, that's a serviceable part.
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'll check both the shut off valve and lock-out when I get home. 
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Pay your bill.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Pay your bill.

I wish we had natural gas! Unfortunately I have a 1000 gal underground tank to fill once a year. 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Pay your bill.

I wish we had natural gas! Unfortunately I have a 1000 gal underground tank to fill once a year. 
    Then definitely check the orifice as propane isn’t the cleanest burning. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited January 2020
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Pay your bill.

Then definitely check the orifice as propane isn’t the cleanest burning

• SonVolt
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Pay your bill.

This may be a dumb question, but would a bad orifice block gas to the entire oven/range or just to a specific burner?
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Just the oven. Should be one for the oven and one for each burner.  You can remove them and replace with a different diameter in order to convert your stove from propane to natural gas.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    SonVolt said:
    Pay your bill.

This may be a dumb question, but would a bad orifice block gas to the entire oven/range or just to a specific burner?
    You probably have one or more regulators on the propane tank that feed the service lines.  Typically they are points of failure.  Seems like if everything else is working and you just have one tank regulator it would be unlikely the line to the range is an issue.

Regulators have some combination of frits and poppet valves.  Frits will stop up if they get any moisture in them. 
    If the orifice is not clogged, something tells the oven that the ignition is hot and ready, go ahead and release the gas... not much help i know
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Before you take anything apart unplug the stove and shut off the gas valve at the wall and let it sit 30 minutes.
    plug back in and open the gas valve slowly. See if it resets.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SonVolt
    Options
    Well, dunno what happened but it’s working just fine now. 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    Awesome.  My next suggestion was just to beat on everything with hammers.

Options
    SonVolt said:
    Awesome.  My next suggestion was just to beat on everything with hammers.

Had to do that with an old NG furnace in a house once. Gas valve would stick and I'd have to smack it with a hammer.

Boom. Heat
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!