Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Carnivore Challenge- The Egg’s Best Friend

Options
2»

Comments

• CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I found a large on CL that appears to be brand new. Only asking $600 which leads me to believe the thing is hotter than a ghost pepper.
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Tonight’s dinner- Blackened tuna sashimi and prime picanha. The tuna was seared in cast iron on the egg for about 30-45 secs per side and sliced thin. The wife wanted a touch of tamari. I went without. It was just too good for soy sauce. 

The picanha went in a sous vide bath for about 3 hrs at 130, seasoned with SPOG, then seared in the same cast iron as the tuna. I haven’t had picanha in a while and this was excellent. Tender and very beefy, with a nice fat cap. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited January 2020
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    This whole thing has got me thinking though, and I’m fairly certain I need another cooking apparatus. Firing up the XL every night, sometimes only for a steak or burger or whatever, is kind of a PIA. Even when I only use one side filled with lump. So I’m looking for suggestions- my first instinct is either a small or mini max. But I’m not sure if they’re the best for the job if all I’m looking for is a charcoal cooker that lights fast and will be used almost exclusively for fast, direct cooks. This got me thinking about a Weber kettle. So what’s the consensus among the forum? Stay green or get something metal? 
    I had the same issue with my Large, firing it up just to grill a couple brats (I live alone).  Ended up getting a Small (Minimax wasn't out yet).  
    There's nothing wrong with a kettle.  The briquets you light will, of course, burn up entirely*; I've noticed that on my small I can light the same load of lump 4 times, then close her up, before having to shake/clean/reload, with the small/quick cooks I do on it.  

*EDIT:  Actually, my Dad cooked on a shallow grill much smaller than a kettle, and build a wire basket that he kept on our gravel driveway.  If there were briquets left, he'd pick up the grill, dump the briquets into the basket, pour a bucket of water over them, then use the remainder along with new briquets the next Sunday (lit with Texaco 89 octane, of course! =) ).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Impressive results to date.  Congrats.  Does this plan have a weight stabilizing strategy...
    And regarding a quick cooker-my vote would be a Weber kettle.  Great products and will do everything you describe.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    CornfedMA said:
    This whole thing has got me thinking though, and I’m fairly certain I need another cooking apparatus. Firing up the XL every night, sometimes only for a steak or burger or whatever, is kind of a PIA. Even when I only use one side filled with lump. So I’m looking for suggestions- my first instinct is either a small or mini max. But I’m not sure if they’re the best for the job if all I’m looking for is a charcoal cooker that lights fast and will
    be used almost exclusively for fast, direct cooks. This got me thinking about a Weber kettle. So what’s the consensus among the forum? Stay green or get something metal? 
    OK,
    Here is my take on a second grill to go with your XL, as I also own the XL.
    IMO, adding a Kettle will not really speed things up compared to pushing coals to the back of the XL. And the Kettle will use almost as much lump. Using lump in a kettle is a little harder to control and most will burn away even after shutting down. I have not had great luck trying to reuse Kingsford and such but this could be due to my humid climate.
    I have a Small and it's great for smaller quick cooks lighting with small propane torch. Mini Max would also be good but I like the extra vertical space of the small. It's still very easy to cook Pork Butts up to 10 pounds.
    I have also cooked a fair amount on a friends smaller Weber Q. It works surprising well and we have cooked up some awesome food.

Get post and I hope things continue to go well!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • scdaf
    scdaf Posts: 176
    Options
    Good luck maintaining your resolve.  For a smaller cooker, I'd endorse the Akorn Jr.  Very thrifty with lump, shuts down and conserves, no need to learn new techniques and practices.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    scdaf said:
    Good luck maintaining your resolve.  For a smaller cooker, I'd endorse the Akorn Jr.  Very thrifty with lump, shuts down and conserves, no need to learn new techniques and practices.
    Another fine choice. Bought my brother 1 for tailgating. Loves it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options

I have an XL and got a MM and its great for a couple steaks, chops etc. I also have a WeberQ 200. It cooks great. I use it for fast cooks. I actually have 2 and keep 1 in the trailer for camping.

The MM burns much less lump than the XL but like mentioned, not much vertical space but for what I use it for Its been great.

Still use the XL! Having both is a great combo.

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I picked up a weber jumbo Joe last year, use kingsford briqs in it and love it for easy fast grilling. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• littlerascal56
    Options
    XL gets used a lot, but I crank up the Weber kettle about twice a week.  Got 20 bags of Kingsford at $5/bag, so it saves my lump stash.  Works great for fast cooks (light up a chimney), and it cooks at 350 for about 2 hours, and then burns out.  No cleanup either.