Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Any and all tips for Paris

Options
2»

Comments

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    U_tarded said:
    The airport is a mess.  When flew through there coming back from Budapest.  3+hours to get through passport control almost missed out flight.  We got redirected on our way there because they were striking and the airport was shut down. 
    As a frequent international traveler, I avoid CDG like the plague.  
    flying in and out of ORY
    Boom
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    We had amazing meals in Paris including a great lunch and an amazing NYE 2018/2019 at Le Fouquet.

https://www.hotelsbarriere.com/fr/paris/le-fouquets/restaurants-et-bars/fouquets.html
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    I moved just south of Paris last year and haven’t had a chance to check it out.  This is on my list though so maybe you can try it out and let us know if it’s worth the drive.

http://www.schollbrosbbq.net/
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    I moved just south of Paris last year and haven’t had a chance to check it out.  This is on my list though so maybe you can try it out and let us know if it’s worth the drive.

I'll check on the uber cost from my air bnb to there
    Boom
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
     FanOfFanboys said:
    SSQUAL612 said:

I'll check on the uber cost from my air bnb to there
    Here's a map of Paris if that helps.
    Rue Cler is a quaint little street with produce, bakeries and cheese markets.  We grabbed some cheese, bread, berries and wine then walked over to the park where the Eiffel Tower is and had a nice lunch.  
    Cafe De L’homme is very nice, with the best view of the Tower.  At night, the tower lights up and sparkles.  It’s the perfect place for pictures.  Dress warmly if you’re sitting outside.  It’s worth it. 
    Concord, CA
  • oldmandawg
    Options
    Been to Paris a couple of times. Our favorite thing to do was just to walk around the city. I'm ready to go back.
  • jpeden
    jpeden Posts: 11
    Options
    Go to this place for dinner and thank me later. You need to email and make a reservation and the place only holds like 10 people. We found it totally by chance as a couple from Texas was dining next to us in another restaurant one night and we got to talking. 

https://restaurantlacordonnerie.fr/

Go here for Ice Cream on the Ile Saint-Louis: 

http://www.berthillon.fr/

This is a little touristy but we found it was excellent - steak frites from Relais Entrecôte. Go to the one in the Saint Germain. 

http://www.relaisentrecote.fr/?page_id=396&lang=fr_FR

Go to Versailles, but pay to take a guided tour. It’s not much more and allows you to skip the very long lines. Versailles should be done on a weekday and go early enough in the morning to check out the village market. The main station on the RER C is under construction so you’ll need to take the one that is further away but it’s a lovely walk through town to the palace. 

Buy the Paris Visite 5 day card when you get to the airport. The all zone ticket is only €66 and it will let you use all forms of transport that are run by their transit agency RATP - 

https://www.ratp.fr/en/titres-et-tarifs/paris-visite-travel-pass

It really is all you need to get around Paris and will get you to and from the airport with ease. You may need to buy transportation back to the airport if you’re there for 5.5 days but this is still worth it. 

If you haven’t exchanged money yet through your bank, don’t do it at the airport. Find a major bank in Paris and exchange American cash for Euros which is where you will get the best exchange rate. 

My last tip is a little French goes a LONG way. We found everyone to be super nice if we approached them in French and at least attempted to greet them. Almost all Parisians speak English and will try to help you in English if you greet them in French and ask a simple Parlez vous anglais? Also, greet the shop owners upon entering and when departing. It is customary in France and shows respect. 

• Mdames501
    Options
    Jpden you’re right about attempting to speak French helps out a lot. We found the Parisians a lot friendlier than what we had been told. By far the rudest people we encountered was German tourist and how they talked to the French. They where all nice to us though
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Agree on the attempt to speak even a little French.

The rudest people we encountered were Americans.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    I speak fluent French and can help translate if you wish. 

A great opener is “hello,” or in French, “Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?”
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I just remembered that the Guerlain store on the Champs-Élysées will mix up custom fragrances. 

Yes, it may be “touristy”, but goes a long way for banking points if your wife is into that sort of thing. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I speak fluent French and can help translate if you wish. 

A great opener is “hello,” or in French, “Voulez vous coucher avec moi ce soir?”
    I'm fluent in every European language. Speak slowly and loudly in English. Job done  =)
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    It’s not a hat it’s a chapeau, it’s not an egg, but an ouef.. it’s like they have a different word for everything. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • GrillinSailor
    Options
    Willi’s Wine Bar, you’ll thank me later!
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Lots of great advice here. 

Buy a red white and blue miniature Eiffel  tower keychain at a kiosk underneath the tower, itself. You’ll think it’s cheesy, but years later you’ll see it and remember. 

Montparnasse is a giant towering skyscraper in Paris that the locals hate. It is pretty ugly, honestly. But the observation deck on top offers a view of the city you’ll cherish. 

If you go see Morrison, bring a beer for you, and a beer for him. My choice was Guinness. Bring a map to the cemetery. 

Strenuous advice- but the louvre in the morning and the d’orsay across the bridge in the afternoon will give you iconic art experiences. The louvre holds the code of hammurabi. The basis of our modern system of justice. Often overlooked. 

Put your hand physically into the Seine. Don’t drink it. You can say you touched history. 

The Paris subway is fun. 

Language: the French reputation comes from people not respecting their culture. How do we feel if people come to America and expect us to
    speak French? Same way. Generally, If a French person sees you struggling to speak French they will speak English with you - they were very kind to me when I had this experience. 

If you leave Paris, take the TGV. Worth it just to say you were on the fast train. 

All French wine is 25% off right now. Drink up. 

Bon voyage!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    It’s not a hat it’s a chapeau, it’s not an egg, but an oeuf.. it’s like they have a different word for everything. 
    Larry Storch used to have a great routine on that. 

English is so much more sensible than all other languages.
    Consider the cutting utensil you use at the dining table.
    The Germans call that a "Messer." 
    In French it's a "couteau."

But in English we call it a "knife."

Which is exactly what it is!
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    It’s not a hat it’s a chapeau, it’s not an egg, but an oeuf.. it’s like they have a different word for everything. 
    Larry Storch used to have a great routine on that. 

English is so much more sensible than all other languages.
    Consider the cutting utensil you use at the dining table.
    The Germans call that a "Messer." 
    In French it's a "couteau."

But in English we call it a "knife."

Which is exactly what it is!
    :). My quote was a Steve Martin bit from his old stand up.  I thought someone would catch it!

Lots of great advice, I’ve been to Paris a bit. It’s all preference, I’m not a museum person, I’d rather walk the city and eat like crazy.

The bread and cheese is as good as you’ve heard here. Ridiculous.   

You’ll have a great time- watch some Rick Steve’s Europe to get in the mood. 
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • eggnewtoy
    eggnewtoy Posts: 496
    Options
    See if you can get a reservation at L’ami Louis.  it’s the oldest bistro in Paris (supposedly) and they cook over wood.  Can be tough to get the reservation but well worth it (and full disclosure, it’s expensive).  Their steaks and chicken are amazing and if you go at lunch and they are in the mood, they may give your a tour of the kitchen which is amazing.  The markets are great, the bakeries even better, espresso oo-la-la, falafel in the Marias is fabulous, Vietnamese too.  See if you can find Patricia Well list of restaurants and even if it’s an old list, her recommendations are great.  Enjoy it.
    BGE Large and MiniMax, Napolean 500.  Obsessed with rotisserie.  

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    True story: Two years ago, my father in law was the target of an attempted carjacking in Paris. He was pepper sprayed (ruined his suit!) while they tried to take the car. Being an eminently impatient man, my FIL screamed at the would-be carjackers - not because they were trying to steal his car, but because they were making him late for an engagement. His booming voice directed at them, the carjackers then retreated empty handed. Two plain-clothed police officers came upon the scene by chance within minutes of the incident. My FIL’s impatience literally saved the day. Lol. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This is a fun thread to read.
    I've been to Paris once, '78, as part of the ultimate high school Band Trip.  We had toured Europe for two weeks and ended our trip in Paris, actually playing a concert under the Eiffel Tower.  The crowd really got into our band version of a Chicago (the band) medley.
    Only two things I remember (and this was 40 years ago); France had a lot more litter/trash than the rest of Europe; and the gelato/ice cream from the cart vendors was almost as good as those in Italy.
    Oh, and a hot dog came in a baguette that was cored, not sliced, so there was no way to add condiments.  And they weren't necessary.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month