Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous vide reheat

Options
Planning to cook for a work function this coming Friday. Gonna do 20lbs of pork butt and chocolate pot de creme. 

Plan is to smoke the butts Sunday or Monday and reheat Friday for the event via sous vide. Question is, how long do you think it will take to get up to serving temp? 140 a good reheat temp?

Thanks!

Brandon - Ohio

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I do 1 lb packages at 160° (or so) for about 15-20 minutes.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited January 2020
    Options
    I flatten out and seal .so it's thin, doesn't take long, but since SV you can't really start to early ..

If it's for groups or people I don't know, I reheat to 165 per food health and saftey requirements ...i don't for me  =)
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Is that the procedure for reheating sous vide?  Reheating at 165 degrees?  Very timely thread, thanks @Leopoldstoch .

What are the usual cook times for vacuum sealed food?  Refrigerated and frozen?  Thx.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    I go as high as 180 for a couple of hours from the freezer,  works great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options
    Planning to cook for a work function this coming Friday. Gonna do 20lbs of pork butt and chocolate pot de creme. 

Plan is to smoke the butts Sunday or Monday and reheat Friday for the event via sous vide. Question is, how long do you think it will take to get up to serving temp? 140 a good reheat temp?

Thanks!
    Reheated some vacuum sealed frozen ribs in the sous vide from a 4th of July a year later and tasted like they just came off the smoker. Excellent way to reheat. I usually get it to 160 or so. Couple of hours. Have reheated pulled pork, ribs, and pork belly burnt ends this way. All excellent. 
    Opelika, AL
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    I sous vide reheated some vacuum sealed brisket and pork ribs at 165 for about an hour and a half last night.  Turned out great!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio