Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Philly recommendations

Options
fence0407
fence0407 Posts: 2,237
Spending a few days in the Philly area for work. Looking for food and local beer recommendations. Where do I get my cheesesteak from? 
Large - Mini - Blackstone 17", 28", 36"
Cumming, GA  

Comments

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Avoid cheesesteaks.  The roast pork is truly Philly's great contribution to world sandwiches.  DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market has a great version and the entire market is a great place to visit.

Right around the corner from the market is Tom's Dim Sum which has great soup dumplings and the best scallion pancakes I've ever had.

I've never been to the brewery, but I have had and enjoyed Yards Brewing Company beers.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,844
    Options
    If you like Belgian beer, go to Monk's Cafe.  They also have some local stuff and some good food as well.

Two great Asian spots in that area are Sampan (a little more upscale and hip) and DanDan Rittenhouse (more casual).

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Visit the Italian market area in south Philly. Pat's steaks, Gino's, Dibruno bro's for (Black Betty, Brabander a gouda/goat cheese blend) very pricey but daaaammm.
    and Weyerbacher brewery in Easton if you want great beer and a cool tour.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    These are always rated highly...

John's Roast Pork (both steak and pork supposedly excellent, but the pork is supposed to be even better than their cheesesteak).

Tony Luke's often rated among the best.

Always heard you should avoid Pat's and Geno's. Tourist traps and not nearly as tasty as plenty of others.

Disclaimer: Never had a Philly sammich, just read and watched a lot of reviews.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fence0407
    Options
    Acn said:
    Avoid cheesesteaks.  The roast pork is truly Philly's great contribution to world sandwiches.  DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market has a great version and the entire market is a great place to visit.

Right around the corner from the market is Tom's Dim Sum which has great soup dumplings and the best scallion pancakes I've ever had.

I've never been to the brewery, but I have had and enjoyed Yards Brewing Company beers.
    I've heard the roast pork is good I plan on getting one! Appreciate the insights!
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    If you like Belgian beer, go to Monk's Cafe.  They also have some local stuff and some good food as well.

Two great Asian spots in that area are Sampan (a little more upscale and hip) and DanDan Rittenhouse (more casual).
    Thanks! I'll see if I can work those into the trip. I'm gonna be up in King of Prussia area so I'll have to see what I can do.
    Cumming, GA  

• fence0407
    Options
    These are always rated highly...

John's Roast Pork (both steak and pork supposedly excellent, but the pork is supposed to be even better than their cheesesteak).

Always heard you should avoid Pat's and Geno's. Tourist traps and not nearly as tasty as plenty of others.

Disclaimer: Never had a Philly sammich, just read and watched a lot of reviews.

Appreciate it! I was reading up on places and Tony Luke's comes up a lot. I might have to get roast pork though at John's.
    Cumming, GA  

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited January 2020
    Options
    Dos Chiminea for la-dee-dah European fare, and The Striped Bass for seafood (and an amazing port selection!).  Pat's and Geno's are okay for a touristy lunch, but we can do better on our Blackstones, and one of them makes you go back to the end of the line if you "Botch" up your order.  :angry:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    My cousin spent a day last week touring Philly brew pubs - his favorite was Yards Brewing Co - also enjoyed Roy-Pitz and Triple Bottom.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I've had the roast pork at John's and at DiNics.  Dinics is much better IMHO and John's is really out of the way.  I'd also add to be sure and stop at McGillan's Olde Ale House.  It's allegedly the oldest bar in Philly and is a really cool place for a drink.  if you're into cheesesteaks, give Dalessandro's a try.  It's a bit out of the way, but have a steak with a Pennsylvania Dutch Birch Beer.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    When are you going to be here?  I live 40 miles outside it, and work in King of Prussia M-F and will be at the convention center this weekend. If timing works out, I would be happy to meet up.

With that being said, none of what was said previously was wrong. (Truth being told, I am not really a brewery person, but I have Victory about 3 miles from my house.)   I will stress that you do NOT want to go to Pats or Ginos - just about anywhere else is better.  But you should go to DiNicks in the market for the roast pork (with rabe and provolone.) If you go - go early - they sell out daily - but not too early - sometimes it is not ready right when they open. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    Don’t know squat: ate at pats and Genos and liked both
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • fence0407
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    When are you going to be here?  I live 40 miles outside it, and work in King of Prussia M-F and will be at the convention center this weekend. If timing works out, I would be happy to meet up.

With that being said, none of what was said previously was wrong. (Truth being told, I am not really a brewery person, but I have Victory about 3 miles from my house.)   I will stress that you do NOT want to go to Pats or Ginos - just about anywhere else is better.  But you should go to DiNicks in the market for the roast pork (with rabe and provolone.) If you go - go early - they sell out daily - but not too early - sometimes it is not ready right when they open. 
    I'll send you a pm thanks!
    Cumming, GA  

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Tony Lukes roast pork with broccoli rabe is as good a sandwich as it gets. Jim’s Steaks beats Pat’s and Geno’s in my book and is a helluva lot easier to get to and in a far more interesting place. Plenty of tourists there, but it hardly seems to matter. “Wiz wit” is your order — any other way is doesn’t cut it.  If you want a real South Philly experience (and you really do) go to Mara’s for pizza (thin crust) and muscles (marinara). Not much to look at from the outside, but it’s been a local fan favorite forever. 

There’s also plenty of amazing fancy/upscale places — if you’re looking for those, say the word and I’m sure folks will weigh in. Philly has become quite the foodie destination. And on Sunday night, Philly will be serving up roasted Seahawks — the finest dining you’ll be able to find around here, but it’s gonna be one and done, so better get your playoff fill. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • fence0407
    Options
    Tony Lukes roast pork with broccoli rabe is as good a sandwich as it gets. Jim’s Steaks beats Pat’s and Geno’s in my book and is a helluva lot easier to get to and in a far more interesting place. Plenty of tourists there, but it hardly seems to matter. “Wiz wit” is your order — any other way is doesn’t cut it.  If you want a real South Philly experience (and you really do) go to Mara’s for pizza (thin crust) and muscles (marinara). Not much to look at from the outside, but it’s been a local fan favorite forever. 

There’s also plenty of amazing fancy/upscale places — if you’re looking for those, say the word and I’m sure folks will weigh in. Philly has become quite the foodie destination. And on Sunday night, Philly will be serving up roasted Seahawks — the finest dining you’ll be able to find around here, but it’s gonna be one and done, so better get your playoff fill. 
    Well said and thank you for the input! 
    Cumming, GA  

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    The roast pork is truly Philly's great contribution to world sandwiches.  DiNic's in Reading Terminal Market has a great version and the entire market is a great place to visit.
    Agree.

John's Roast Pork is good, but DiNic's is better.  I think John's Roast Pork does a better job with their cheesesteak than their roast pork. Tony Luke's is solid.

The Italian Market is fun and Pat's and Geno's is worth more for the show than quality (for quality go to DiNic's, Tony Luke's, or one of the good local shops).  If you make it to the Italian Market, make sure you go to the RIM Cafe - best hot chocolate you will ever have. Its a really cool shop dedicated to the excess of chocolate.

As for beer, I really like Yards.  They tend to make more English style ales, which is my favorite style. 
    Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• thetrim
    Options
    I'd also say Nick's Roast beef in S Philly on Passyunk has some great gravy fries. 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I'll start with the tourist trap- Reading Market.  I spend 3 days at convention center every other year so you did get stuck eating there.
    Incredible breakfast- cant finish it.  Tried my first Scrapple here https://readingterminalmarket.org/merchant/dutch-eating-place/

Had some good pizza here https://pietrospizza.com/walnut-street.asp  Had some nice "house pies" that were good.

Had great Oysters here http://oysterhousephilly.com/

For someone in TX... This place had a great vibe and great Mexican Martinis https://elvezrestaurant.com/

I had my best Cheesesteak somewhere in S Philly but cant find the evidence... 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    I'll start with the tourist trap- Reading Market.  I spend 3 days at convention center every other year so you did get stuck eating there.
    Incredible breakfast- cant finish it.  Tried my first Scrapple here https://readingterminalmarket.org/merchant/dutch-eating-place/

Had some good pizza here https://pietrospizza.com/walnut-street.asp  Had some nice "house pies" that were good.

Had great Oysters here http://oysterhousephilly.com/

For someone in TX... This place had a great vibe and great Mexican Martinis https://elvezrestaurant.com/

I had my best Cheesesteak somewhere in S Philly but cant find the evidence... 
    Found the Cheesesteak.. https://www.jimssouthstreet.com/
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    edited January 2020
    Options
    fence0407 said:
    Spending a few days in the Philly area for work. Looking for food and local beer recommendations. Where do I get my cheesesteak from? 
    I disagree on avoiding the famous ones.  I've had a lot of cheesesteaks and a late night* Pat's Cheese Steak is still the best in my book. They are using fresh shaved rib eye on a great bun. I happen to like the authentic hot cheese whiz on there,  but you can get it with american or provolone also...

...here's the thing.  While I have gotten solid cheese steaks at plenty of other big places in the city, like Jim's, they end up tasting similar to steaks you can get in any city.  A lot of them are using frozen meat like the "Steak Ums" you can buy in the frozen food section.  They are not unique.  Pat's and Geno's are unique and worth a stop.

Now having said that, yeah, check out the Roast Pork at Tony Luke's or DiNics as well.  There are a lot of good sandwiches to be had in that town.  Enjoy your trip and thanks everyone else for throwing some nice tips up there to try the next time I'm in town.

* I'm not going to say it isn't the alcohol, but I have found them to be better late night and I think it has something to do with the amount of meat they are moving along the grill and that yours gets put on the bun immediately after it is cooked.  It's still hot and tender.  Not sitting there getting firm while they attend to another order.  It is a very efficient assembly line that gets steaks in hands quick. It is a thing of beauty. (I did say it may be the alcohol) :)

LBGE/Maryland
  • thetrim
    Options
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95