Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Turkey

Options
Hi all - I’m behind the eight ball making a turkey on the egg. This is because my mom always really wants to prepare the turkey. That said, post Thanksgiving I bought a bunch of turkeys at Kroger while they were on sale. I intend on brining my first turkey and making it on the egg this weekend. Can anyone point me to a good brine and or preparation instructions for the bird? BGE makes a good cooking temp guide I’ve read so I’m more interested in seasoning the bird properly. Thanks!

Comments

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    After my mom tasted my Egged turkey she gladly passed on that duty to me.
  • EggNashville
    Options
    I like to spatchcock and dry brine whole turkeys on the egg.  I keep it pretty simple...two parts salt one part pepper. Good luck and keep us posted!
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options

Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg

(you cut out the backbone and cook opened)

I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)

Chicken 3 to 4.5lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 

Or, just add a package of legs extra. 

I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 

If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 

I cook "direct" @ 400 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.

I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.

NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)

I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 

Cook to temp (not time) breast @ 165 and thigh @ 175

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)

Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..

Equal part: Brown Sugar..

½ part: Black Pepper..

½ part: Kosher Salt..

½ part: Garlic Powder..

¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..

Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have used @Mickey rub and proceedure on my poultry cooks, and anyone that has tried them, has told me I was  genius. 

When I told them my efforts were only due to blatant plagiarism, I became less of a super hero on their eyes, however, I did maintain "dude status."

Perhaps it was only due to their free access to my wine racks in the cellar.

They were indeed delicious, and I thank @Mickey for many delicious cooks.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Mickey
    Options
    @YukonRon after this many years we stumble into something eventually. 
    This is as good on steak as well as pork. My granddaughters request it on steak. 
    I didn’t invent it, just borrowed those before me on the old forum. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Another vote for the @mickey approach!!  I do mine indirect at 330 though.  I've made this for both sides of my family and they're HUGE fans.  I highly recommend this. 

NC - LBGE
  • Mickey
    Options
    Will add i cook the gizzard and neck as it is great cooks food while the turkey keeps cooking. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Double check the labels before you brine a grocery store bought turkey. It may already be salted. Even a butterball fresh turkey has a fair amount of salt already. 

I gave up brining. It’s messy and a PITA.  A well seasoned, well cooked bird is great. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • gonepostal
    Options
    Mickey said:
    @YukonRon after this many years we stumble into something eventually. 
    This is as good on steak as well as pork. My granddaughters request it on steak. 
    I didn’t invent it, just borrowed those before me on the old forum. 
    Thanks for sharing again. Bookmarked and will be trying this rub soon...
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • Royal Coachmen
    Options
    I’m going to give this approach a try. Thanks so much for posting. Seems easier than brining, yet, tasty. I have 4 birds to experiment with so this will be number one.