Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

To smoke or not to smoke a tenderloin?

Options
I’ve got this beauty ready for tomorrow—nice piece of prime tenderloin from Costco. I’m going reverse sear. 225 until it reaches 115, then rest and tent, crank the heat and put it back on for about 60 seconds a side. What is everyone’s thoughts on best rubs for a tenderloin (wet or dry) and whether to throw some chunks of hickory in there for smoke? I’d go with Dizzy Pig Cow Lick and mesquite but my MIL is coming to dinner and thinks pepper is spicy so can’t do that. As for the smoke I’m worried maybe that ruins the nice buttery flavor of a tenderloin and pairing with my favorite of creamy horseradish. 

Comments

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Do you have any post oak?  For me, nothing works better for putting some smoke on beef than post oak.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    If you want to do the whole thing on the egg — I’d keep it simple. Salt and pepper. Get a really nice clean fire for your low part. Soaking up a lot of dirty smoke is no bueno. Then pull it and crank the temp and throw on a few chunks of oak. Do the sear over the oak and let it pick up a little good smoke flavor. 
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • lightningque
    Options
    i have done mine with a hint of mesquite and it was excellent.  I think its a personal taste thing. 
    1 large in challenger cart and 1 mini-max , too many dang accessories  

Baton Rouge LA 

• BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    Thanks all. I do have some post oak and love the idea of just a little smoke with the sear. I think I will keep it dead simple with a little salt and pepper and finish with rosemary compound butter (have a lot of rosemary in my yard still kicking). 
  • speed51133
    Options
    You are in a smoking forum asking if you should smoke meat?!
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • BBBQ
    BBBQ Posts: 39
    Options
    The beauty of the Egg my friend is it’s so much more than a smoker. 
  • ElkhornHusker
    Options
    I was contemplating the same question.  The tenderloin is currently marinating overnight, grill to 115 IT, then sear is my plan.  Lump only for this one
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Warning to all doing a reverse sear, you will probably overcook it.  This is a cut that will have a 10-15F post cook rise in temp.  I recommend searing first, take off grill and let it cool for 15 minutes, take an internal temp and then SLOWLY roast indirect to 5F below your target temp.
    What should be the final IT?
    Elkhorn, NE
    1 large egg
    28" Blackstone
    Akorn Jr. 
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    125F +/- 10 degrees in the thickest part.
    Mountain View, CA
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Wife’s boss is a professional chef, and made steak Diane for the Christmas party.  Best tenderloin I have ever had.  Melts in your mouth.
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options

WOW . . . fantastic looking cook

looks like lots of good leftovers

aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    BBBQ said:
    Turned out just fine with the good advice of oak finish. Just salt and pepper, indirect to reverse sear. Pulled at 115 and honestly would pull at 120 next time. Just a bit medium rare for me but others thought it was perfect. 
    Looks like perfection, well done my friend.  I agree with @nolaegghead that you can easily have a 10deg carryover.  I typically pull at 110ish and let rest while the fire gets to roaring and end up pulling at 120ish with a carryover that hits right at 130ish. My wife won't let me do steaks any other way.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    WOW and WOW    I must try that and pull at 120 like you suggest.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Looks good!
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited December 2019
    Options
    You are in a smoking forum asking if you should smoke meat?!
    It’s a legitimate   question. Some things need smoke. Others get plenty of smoke flavor purely  from the lump.  I know he is referring to a beef tenderloin but just as an example I never put smoke on a pork tenderloin. Just lump and gets plenty of smoke flavor. That being said, +1 for a small amount of post oak on that!
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • Grambler
    Grambler Posts: 153
    Options
    How long did your cook take?