Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Egg Genius

Options
Why won’t the egg genius keep the temp under 275. There are meats that I want cooked at 225 and it will not do it

Comments

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,359
    Options
    Can't help you with the gadget, but I have never been able to tell a difference in product between 225 and 275 on my EGG.
    Las Vegas, NV

• EggFriday
    Options
    I struggled with this on the first couple slow cooks too. I end up barley cracking the top vent to get it that low. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have the old DW. Kept it open just a sliver and the bottom vent about the thickness of a credit card. Stayed between 225⁰F and 250⁰F. That was close enough for me.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    Mind telling us what meat you want to cook at 225? and why a higher temperature seems to upset you? You might want to try a sous vide unit since it will maintain that temp, or even lower or higher for 10, 20, 30 or 40 hours.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    It absolutely can do it. I would concentrate on how you build your initial fire and how big it gets prior to installing the genius. What is your method? Secondly, you do need to almost completely cut off the top air flow as stated above. It can be done, but if the fire gets too large and the thermo mass of the egg heats above your target it’s a losing battle at that point. Also I’ve heard folks set the target under the intended temp and once it is achieved adjusting it up from there. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Make sure you have a good seal, and don't have a base crack somewhere.  

As long as you have a tight seal and it's not sucking air from some place, there's no reason why you shouldn't be able to maintain 225 or less.
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited December 2019
    Options
    I do a lot of cooks at 225 with Flameboss, and top vent barely open.  It works great as long as you have a good gasket and seal on top and bottom ceramics!  If you have any leaks, temps will be all over the place.