Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Beef Tenderloin

Options
I’m planning on grilling/smoking my first beef tenderloin on the BGE. Do I grill or smoke ? I would prefer smoking. Proper temperatures and time ? Do I use direct or indirect method? Thanks in advance for your input and suggestions. 

Comments

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,054
    Options
    I’d personally go super low and indirect, then take the loin off at around 120ish and rest while you prep the egg for direct. Crank up the heat and sear direct until you get a nice crust. I usually leave the dome open for the sear, as to not overcook it. You should have a nice pink throughout that way. 
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    Welcome to the forum. Have fun and a great weekend. I use the search feature in the top right. Lots of great ideas and recipes.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Reverse sear would get my vote.  Only problem is you will cause mass addictions by your group and you will become the "go to for the best tenderloin".  Indirect, 235ish, pull at 110ish....sear at 700+ .....cant go wrong.  

Let us know how it turns out.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Most important step......purchase nice potent horseradish and don't use the one that has been hiding way back behind the mayonnaise for weeks / months.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • SmokinBob629
    Options
    I did a reverse sear. I brought the grill up to 700+  and put the tenderloin directly on top of the charcoal and seared it for 90 seconds then flipped it and seared it another 90seconds. I then pulled the tenderloin and let it rest while I brought the temp down to 350 ish. I probed the tenderloin and put it back on the grill until it reached an internal of 127.  I then pulled the tenderloin and let it rest for 20 minutes and then enjoyed it. Everyone raved about it and now I am hosting Christmas dinner and cooking another tenderloin. 
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    I did one for a family Christmas a few years ago, as well. I coated mine in olive oil, salt and pepper, and then seared in a cast iron skillet on all sides. Then went indirect at 300 until an IT of 125. Let it rest about 10 minutes and then sliced and served.  It was a BIG HIT.

It’s a simple cook, and as long as you don’t go past medium, the flavor of the meat will shine.  

I considered a reverse sear, but figured that ending with a screaming hot temp might carry me past 135 internal temp.  By smoking/roasting at the end of the cook, I felt like I could control temps a bit more, and I wasn’t taking a risk with a pricey cut. 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Markarm4119
    Options
    I recommend the reverse sear grilling as stated above, no smoke wood needed for a really fine dinner. As stated above just don't over cook it.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    The APL approach for these is always a crowd pleaser.  I highly recommend it.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike