Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Late 2019 Temperature Controller Options for XL BGE

Options
Hey gang,

There are several threads about temp controllers/fans on the forum, but not many recent ones. Lots of new technology out there here in late-2019, so I'm wondering what the best options are, and if they are truly "set it and forget it."

I'd like to be able to do some overnight cooks, but my XL BGE doesn't hold temps constant for 6, 8, 10+ hours (as coals burn, more air flow = spiking temps over time). 

Any thoughts? 

XL Big Green Egg  |  Weber Summit 670  |  Meat

Comments

• speed51133
    Options
    https://www.fireboard.com/

what I use. I have done a bunch of 12+ hour cooks on it. Note, the fan and temp controller are added options.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Flame Boss 500 for the win!
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    Another vote for the Flameboss 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Just got Thermoworks signals+billows. Breaking it in tomorrow with a packer.

Currently 20% off.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I like my Auber and my Smobot.  They both work really well on my eggs.  The remote control and wifi are awesome too.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    Real life reliability of FB 500....second cook on my Stumps I closed the door to the firebox melting the wires to the blower ....didnt know that till 1 couldn't communicate remotely and 2 when I saw it...none the less despite a direct short to ground, one corrected FB500 resumed normal operation , no damage to the controller
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Everyone here is going to recommend the controller that they use, and most people have only used one. They are all pretty good. I started with a beta Flame Boss 300, and now use a Flame Boss 500. Communication with FB has been excellent. I only had one problem, a probe that went wacky, and it was replaced very quickly. So my vote goes to Flame Boss.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Former user of the Digi Q.  Note I said former.  Smobot is the way to go.  Do your research and don't over complicate things.  Should be an easy decision.  What I do these days before buying something like this is see just how easy it is to get hold of tech support.  If you leave messages and emails for weeks on end and get no response....why buy their product(s)?  Good luck.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Been running my Flameboss on my XL for over 2 years, averaging 2 cooks/week.  Flawless performance.  No complaints whatsoever.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    elef3u said:

I'd like to be able to do some overnight cooks, but my XL BGE doesn't hold temps constant for 6, 8, 10+ hours (as coals burn, more air flow = spiking temps over time). 

Any thoughts? 
    I think you are confusing the diminishing heat load causing a gradual temp rise with airflow.  You have vents and can very precisely control air flow.  

As the egg warms up and that cold meat warms up, the temp increases, but you have a constant amount of air and fire.  

Think what would happen if you put a 400 watt heater in a cold XL.  (You can try this with a halogen shop light).  The egg and all its thermal mass is at ambient temp.  The meat is cold.  The temp will rise slowly over time even though you are putting a constant 400 watts of heat in it.

With practice you can eyeball the vents and stay in the range you want to be in for the morning of a low and slow.

I'm not trying to talk you out of using the tech, but most of us cook good food without it.  I don't even use the stock thermometer anymore.  
    Options
    I'm with @nolaegghead , I've had a Stoker and now a Flame Boss , I no longer use anything on the Egg as IMO it's not needed, yes the temp rises a bit as the load decreases but it's normal and not a big deal....i don't even use a dome thermometer....i only use the Flame Boss on my Stumps because it so big it takes forever to get to temp without some help
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian