Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - which drill set?

A couple of my power tools were recently 5 finger discounted. So having to replace drill, sawzall,  etc.
Which ones have held up well for you?

There's an Ace hardware right across the street from my once a week fill in that carries Milwaukee , There's a lowes 7 miles from my house.

Dewalt?
Bosch 
Porter cable 
Milwaukee 
Hitachi....Hitachi is what I've had majority of.

Comments

• I like Dewalt and Milwaukee. I have Dewalt drills and Milwaukee saws. I also have a Dewalt Miter Saw that's a beast.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Milwaukee and Dewalt seem to have the largest variety of tools. I like to stick with one line so I only have to keep track one type of battery.  I have everything from the Dewalt cordless hedge trimmer to the grease gun, bandsaw etc. 
     check out cpooutlets.com
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Homedepot has sales all the time on sets for their deal of the day I would check there. I have all Makita 18v brushless but would probably go Milwaukee if I could start over. From what I have read Milwaukee is contractor grade, makita DIY homeowner grade, and Dewalt if you just need to hang a picture sometimes.
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,523
    DuckDogDr said:
    A couple of my power tools were recently 5 finger discounted. So having to replace drill, sawzall,  etc.
    Which ones have held up well for you?

There's an Ace hardware right across the street from my once a week fill in that carries Milwaukee , There's a lowes 7 miles from my house.

Dewalt?
    Bosch 
    Porter cable 
    Milwaukee 
    Hitachi....Hitachi is what I've had majority of.
    Milwaukee
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    If you are going to buy matching stuff, research what tool you use the most and start from there. Certain companies excel at drills, while some make better saws etc. 
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    And also, agreeing with @DoubleEgger just about every carpenter in the world uses a Makita circular saw...so companies excel in different areas
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    edited December 2019
    Dewalt for the win. I have an 18 volt drill that's still going strong after 20 years. Built a many decks and timber retaining walls with that one. Most of my contractor buddies are Dewalt guys as well.  We use some of the red tools at work and they don't seem to be as strong.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Be sure to compare model numbers to be sure it is the same item
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Lit said:
    Homedepot has sales all the time on sets for their deal of the day I would check there. I have all Makita 18v brushless but would probably go Milwaukee if I could start over. From what I have read Milwaukee is contractor grade, makita DIY homeowner grade, and Dewalt if you just need to hang a picture sometimes.
    Stick to vacuum cleaners!  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DeWalt 20V max is the best system I've used. Batteries last a long time and torque is more than enough. I've tossed my Ryobi's, no comparison.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Lit
    Lit said:
    Stick to vacuum cleaners!  =)
    Just telling you what I’ve read and I have a lot of tools. I do have a Dewalt table saw that works well. 
  • Lit

The Milwaukee tools out perform both the DeWalt and Makita tools in pretty much all aspects. The quality of their products can be seen and felt as soon as you get them in your hands.

Whilst the Makita combo kit was a close contender, it lacked the extra bit of finesse that is provided by the Milwaukee. The batteries also lacked the power and lifespan that comes with Milwaukee’s fuel powered batteries.

That means coming last is DeWalt. Despite the company’s rich history and the fact that it is an American brand, we could not put them any higher. Not only are their batteries inferior to both the other brands, their tools were also not quite as good.

https://besttoolreview.net/dewalt-vs-milwaukee-vs-makita/

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Dewalt seems to be the hot ticket at the moment. Milwaukee would be my second choice. Third would be Makita. I wouldn't consider the others. 
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited December 2019
    Consider Porter Cable the cheapened version of DeWalt. Similar to Ryobi being the cheaper version of Milwaukee. I would not get either of the cheap ones unless you will use it to hang pictures and open battery panels of kid's toys. 

As stated above, there are MANY different models by DeWalt and Milwaukee. The brand alone does NOT mean it is a "good" one. Whatever you get, stick to one brand and use the same batteries and charger. Just make sure you do your research on which model within the brand you want. Look at independent reviewers, many good ones on YouTube. 

Lastly, the tools you get in the big "kits" with a drill, driver, saw, flashlight, etc. are typically NOT the same model as ones you buy individually. They are going to be cheaper versions. This is not a hard and fast rule, but it is VERY typical. That is how they offer the cheaper price on the tool lot, it is not simply discounted. Do not assume any model in these kits is the same unless it is actually the same model number. 

If you want, run by here any model numbers you are interested in getting. I can give you the quick low-down.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    Milwaukee here, although my 1/4" Craftsman drill from about '85 is still running fine.  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• I like to do it with my hand personally. Hand drilling is my middle name! 

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    im using a milwauki fuel 18 on an 8 inch ice auger bit, best drill ive ever owned. no cutting out til over 2 dozen holes in 24-30 inch thick ice with one power pack. could get a bigger battery but the 2 that came with it was plenty
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • If you use it like a contractor or similar - Milwaukee, homeowner use - Dewalt or makita will meet your needs.  As others have said, pay attention to specific models to make sure you get a better grade for the specific maker.  We have some of Milwaukee and dewalt at work and home, when they all shifted to the 20v system the battery life and power all improved.  The Milwaukee is impressive but the dewalt does not disappoint either.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like Ridgid.  I have maybe 15 of their cordless tools and have never had a battery fail.  Also have probably 13 lithium batteries.  Price performance ratio is excellent. 
    I like Ridgid.  I have maybe 15 of their cordless tools and have never had a battery fail.  Also have probably 13 lithium batteries.  Price performance ratio is excellent. 

if i wasnt using it to the extreme i would have bought the rigid octane as there are occasionally good deals and they have a higher inch pound rating than the milwaukee.  the rigid though has an overload protection that kicks in though that doesnt work well doing what im doing. not sure if its my auger bit or if the milwaukee handles cold better, they both have overload protection
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • As my Dewalts wear out, I upgrade to Milwaukee 18v FUEL.  Much more robust and bulletproof.

• GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 565
    Agree with NOLAEGGHEAD on rigiddue to batteries.  they will replace the ones that come with tools if you register them   at no cost.   The best drill i have ever had was a BOSCH but after two years they wanted 100$ for a new battery.  Since I do not use the tool professionaly the slightly lower performance of RIDGID does not bother me compared to cost of batteries.
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have the older Dewalts, love the yellow and black and all the accessories.  However, I was born in Milwaukee.  So any upgrades will come from them.  Just a do it yourselfer, no contractor level work..
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I’ve been in industrial maintenance for the last 18 years and nothing has held up as well as the Milwaukee Fuel.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    piney said:
    And also, agreeing with @DoubleEgger just about every carpenter in the world uses a Makita circular saw...so companies excel in different areas
    This^^^^^^^^
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Ridgid all the way.. Just remember to register within 90 days.. Already got replacement batts with no hassles.  Home Depot still may have some deals goin on.
    York County, PA
    Large BGE 2014 - CGS adj rig, spider, and stones..
    Mini Max 2018
  • Friends don't let friends but Ryobi!
    Ridged, Milwaulkee or Dewalt have always served me well over the last 25 years
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    I’m a Dewalt guy because that’s what I bought first and committed to the line so I don’t have 2 batteries for this one for that. I own any thing from drills, saws, to a weed eater and mower that all use the same battery. I am a big fan of the dewalt flexvolt series ( general contractor and carpenter). Now I have 12 batteries that can be used in all of my tools.
    Dyersburg, TN