Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Jacques Pepín carves a Turkey

BotchBotch Posts: 8,790
This appeared on my EweTube, and he had a couple tricks I haven't seen before, including linesman's pliers:

Also found it interesting he carves the breast while still on the bird, I've never done that (granted, I think I've only roasted one full turkey in my life, too many leftovers for one or two people).  Worth five minutes.    

"There are pre-grated cheeses, and there are great cheeses, but there are no great grated cheeses."    - Chef John 

Ogden, Utard.  

Comments

• alaskanassasinalaskanassasin Posts: 2,241
    Carve the breast on the bird and no mustard on the sandwiches 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,611
    No mustard on a turkey sammich? Wtf? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• He’s unreal. The chicken gallentine thing he does is beyond awesome. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • BotchBotch Posts: 8,790
    edited December 2
    Thank You, Sir!  I will buy you a meal when we eventually meet!  (there are a few communist mustard haters lurking here...)   =)

EDIT:  And a disclai claimer: I posted the "Disagree" on @alaskanassasin 's post, for the record.  :tongue:

"There are pre-grated cheeses, and there are great cheeses, but there are no great grated cheeses."    - Chef John 

Ogden, Utard.  
  • BotchBotch Posts: 8,790
    Oh, and regarding turkey legs.
    My roommate and I, last two years of college, were quite poor.  We subsisted on $0.49 frozen Totino's Pizzas, and Old Milwaukee (which, back then, was classified as a vegetable).  We were both wannabee cooks, however, and every once in awhile we'd try something ambitious (but still cheep).
    I saw some turkey legs in the supermarket's bargain bin, and we gave them a try.  Those sinews were so damn disgusting we agreed to never try them again, and to this day I haven't had a turkey leg.  
    Jacques' technique of pulling them out with pliers, from the "foot" end, has me intrigued and I may try them once more.  Alton Brown's latest "Good Eats" episode (on EweTube) describes smoking them, Renaissance-Fair style, in his cardboard/hotplate contraption, which should adapt to Mr. BGE easily.  

Ogden, Utard.  
  • JohnInCarolinaJohnInCarolina Posts: 15,422
    I could watch that guy do stuff with food all damn day.
    "A generation of the unteachable is hanging upon us like a necklace of corpses." - George Orwell 

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

• SciAggieSciAggie Posts: 4,362
    I could watch that guy do stuff with food all damn day.
    You and me both. I love to watch him cook. I used to record his Saturday morning program on VHS tape and watch it later. I learned a lot that way. He was about HOW to cook more than about recipes. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. 
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 13,134
    I could watch him make an omelet, or debone a chicken, for hours on end. But not so impressed with this video. 

I did like that his wish was for another glass of wine at the end :)

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,836
    edited December 2
    My favourite way to tenderise chicken and turkey drums ...

canuckland
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 5,206
    Very cool, especially liked the way he pulled out the leg “spines”... that is my biggest pet peeve of the dark meat. Not sold on his white meat slicing.  Looks to go with the grain some.  But will try it out prolly at some point. 
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 19,209
    That’s a twist, really good twist for the legs. 
    Salado TX Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). 

• thetrimthetrim Posts: 9,367
    Botch said:
    Thank You, Sir!  I will buy you a meal when we eventually meet!  (there are a few communist mustard haters lurking here...)   =)

EDIT:  And a disclai claimer: I posted the "Disagree" on @alaskanassasin 's post, for the record.  :tongue:
    What about ketchup on a turkey sandwich?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • rifrenchrifrench Posts: 303
    edited December 3
    Duke's mayo for me, hot dogs, turkey or chicken sandwiches, and country ham. And no turkey legs for reasons previously stated in this thread.
    Well, since I do have an open mind, I may try egging a whole turkey now, and carving it per the interesting video.
     1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia