Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoked duck ideas?

Options
A buddy w a BGE has duck duty this Thanksgiving and is looking for ideas.  It sounds like this (or these) are farm raised ducks, so there should be some (plenty) of fat to work with.  I could probably give him some useful generic guidance, but was hoping some of you had something killer to pass on.  

Ideas?
(now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
GE induction stove
Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX

Comments

• CornfedMA
    Options
    Biggest thing with farm ducks is to give all that fat some place to go during the cook. Score the skin and have an air gapped drip pan. Keep an eye on the pan, there’s going to be a lot of fat. Higher temp and only a chunk of 2 of wood. Like chicken and turkey, duck picks up smoke very easily. Last but not least, filter the fat and fry a side dish in it. 
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    Farm raised tend to have so much fat that you can scoop some out before smoking, and render that for frying. As mentioned, the skin and fat pick up a lot of smoke.

I like to stuff the inside w. mandarin orange section, tart cherry if I have those, other citrus stuff to help reduce a greasy feeling. They are usually good as a side when the cooking is done.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,750
    Options
    i go against the norm with a long low and slow direct.

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    Towards the end of the cook, I usually baste my ducks with 50/50 mix of orange marmalade and honey, heated so it's easily brushable.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.