Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

EDC knife options?

Options
Lit
Lit Posts: 9,053
Thinking about getting a nice knife for myself for Christmas and looking for options. I have a kershaw leek carbon right now that I really like but want something custom or more unique. Ideas? 

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Honestly, the best way to find a EDC that fits you is to go to a large store that sells knives or a knife show so you can actually put your hands on the knife.
    What feels good to me will probably not be your favorite.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    On a side note...for EDC I will only carry mass produced knifes.
    This way I can easily send it in for repairs, adjustment and sharpening.
    Normally all done for free.
    I normally carry a Spyderco Paramilitary of some kind or a Benchmade. All retail $200-$250. But I'm far from a knife expert.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    I’ve seen this topic a few years ago. Might be some info here for you:

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1168832/what-is-your-edc-knife/p1
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,771
    Options
    from a leek i would jump up to a benchmade. loved the leek i had but lost it. most used knife for me is the swiss army and there are some really nice customized ones out there
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    My main carry is a kershaw leek but I would also agree with benchmade or even a spyderco.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• fishlessman
    Options
    if you like the leek, they also have it with composite blades that take a better edge and in damascus
    fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    Anyone know anything about Boker knives? This caught my eye.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    @hapster and I have this, we both love it.

https://www.benchmade.com/940-1.html
    Options
    I have a pocketknife from Santa Fe Stoneworks (https://santafestoneworks.com/); if you're looking for unique it is tough to beat their damascus blade and integrated mammoth tusk or tooth into the handle.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• hvhunter
    Options
  • fishlessman
    Options
    boker is a great solid knife company, i have toothpick style made for ll beans collectables with a canoe river scene on it with antler handle, and this one but with buffalo horn handles and nickle bolsters. both about 25/30 years old..  the damascus gets sharper in use as tiny micro nicks develops along the edge, i try not to sharpen this knife.

BOKER - 2019 COLLECTORS DAMASCUS FOLDING Lockback - LIMITED TO 999 PCS - Wood Scales

fukahwee maine

• 1911Man
    1911Man Posts: 366
    Options
    I'm planning to go to the local store that carries more knives to pick my next EDC option. Right now I also have the Kershaw Leek and like the assisted opening. Planning to explore their automatic options and pick from there. Not looking for a OTF though since that's not as strong an option (too many weak points for my liking). 

For any fixed blade options, I'll just make my own. =)
    Large BGE with CGS Woo Ring, stone with stainless pan, Smokeware chimney cap, Kick Ash basket and Kick Ash can.
    Living free in the 603 (Pelham).
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    budget, size, materials you want/like, etc will all factor in

I EDC a chris reeve small sebenza 21, probably 7 or 8 years now?

I wanted a knife to carry the rest of my life. I have a close friend who likes to change it up every 6-8 months. Different strokes. Since I wanted something forever price was not a huge factor for me as long as it was under $400. If you plan to change it often or are prone to losing then that changes things

for the classic go-to recommendation look into a Benchmade griptillian or a Spyderco paramilitary 2. both are among the highest-rated and recommended edc knives around
    Boom
  • fishlessman
    Options
    Lit said:
    Anyone know anything about Boker knives? This caught my eye.
    if you find a boker with leo damascus written on the blade jump on it

fukahwee maine

• BigreenGreg
    Options
    @hapster and I have this, we both love it.

https://www.benchmade.com/940-1.html
    Sold!
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Lit
    Options
    budget, size, materials you want/like, etc will all factor in

I EDC a chris reeve small sebenza 21, probably 7 or 8 years now?

I wanted a knife to carry the rest of my life. I have a close friend who likes to change it up every 6-8 months. Different strokes. Since I wanted something forever price was not a huge factor for me as long as it was under $400. If you plan to change it often or are prone to losing then that changes things

for the classic go-to recommendation look into a Benchmade griptillian or a Spyderco paramilitary 2. both are among the highest-rated and recommended edc knives around
    I was thinking $300 range. I also want a forever knife. I got the leek to see if I could not lose it before I spent money. Might wait till the blade show in Atlanta next summer to upgrade so I can check some out in person. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Also have a Benchmade Bugout.  Very light.  Kind of plain looking.
    Options
    Options
    not out yet but soon, the bugout with g10 scales

535-1901 BUGOUT

fukahwee maine

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Man you guys are crazy. I'd be too scared to actually use it as a knife or lose it for that kind of money. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Serious question. Why do you guys carry a knife like this? Is it for protection or simply cutting things and opening boxes? I see a lot of guys carrying knifes around and the only time I see them being used if a mechanic is trying to pick a door lock to get into a machinery space. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    heres a link to have a swiss army sak customized, some really fine work

fukahwee maine

• Lit
    Options
    Serious question. Why do you guys carry a knife like this? Is it for protection or simply cutting things and opening boxes? I see a lot of guys carrying knifes around and the only time I see them being used if a mechanic is trying to pick a door lock to get into a machinery space. 
    I use mine mostly for cutting things and opening boxes. 
  • fishlessman
    Options
    i like this one but would want a brass/glass magnifier added =)

fukahwee maine

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I have carried either a Case Stockman or Sowbelly since the early 70’s. 
    Current EDC Sowbelly:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• GrateEggspectations
    Options

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    If anybody wants any Kershaw or Zero Tolerance knives, just give me a shout......sell quite a bit of then out of our store.

I usually only stock the Launch line (automatics).  The Launch 8 stiletto is the most popular and what I carry.

I used to carry a Microtech Troodon in my flight suit, but put that one in the safe now that they are so freakin expensive.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Man you guys are crazy. I'd be too scared to actually use it as a knife or lose it for that kind of money. 
    Ditto.
    My EDC is one of the two Kershaw 3820 Injection 3.0's I bought off meh.com a couple years ago for $20 for the pair. If/when it gets lost, stolen, or broken the amount of angst that will cause me to have is pretty close to zero.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    Options
    Knowing you’re a fellow sportsman this question surprised me.
    Besides the numerous utility uses it doesn’t run out of ammo either and pairs with my Glock nicely. 

Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Knowing you’re a fellow sportsman this question surprised me.
    Besides the numerous utility uses it doesn’t run out of ammo either and pairs with my Glock nicely. 

Being a sportsman and carrying everyday are two different things to me.