Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

platesetter broke after 7mos

Options
Hey eggers!

I fired up the egg tonight to make the pregnant Mrs Wardo some chicken wings as requested.  As I picked up the platesetter to put it into the egg this happened....

I need to make Thanksgiving dinner next week and hoping that I don't have to go through BGE corporate to get a replacement.  I'm going to call the place I bought my egg from in the AM and see if they'll help me out.  I did register the egg when I first got it.  I know I have my receipt somewhere but won't be able to find it before tomorrow.  Any thoughts?

Thanks as always folks!!!
NC - LBGE

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    See your dealer...
    https://biggreenegg.com/warranty/

2. OTHER CERAMIC PRODUCTS: (For Residential Users Only. Does not apply to Commercial Use.) The Big Green Egg brand of convEGGtor and Ceramic Pizza/Baking Stones carry a Limited Three (3) Year Warranty to the original residential purchaser. These ceramic components are not covered for breakage or cracks from dropping, improper storage, misuse or abuse.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    As long as it was not dropped and occurred during normal usage and it's within the warranty time frame I would claim it as warranty. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Half moons are better anyways if you have to go that way 
  • one_feral_kat
    one_feral_kat Posts: 14
    edited November 2019
    Options
    As long as it was not dropped and occurred during normal usage and it's within the warranty time frame I would claim it as warranty. Easy peasy lemon squeezy
    That has to be a warranty claim! Personally his picture of that break appears to me there was a structural crack which is shown by the dark coloration. Those things just don't crack over time unless dropped and never show such white ceramic and then that dark coloration! ^oo^~
    My name is Ron Pratt and I've posted here for 20 years as RRP. For a while in November I was unable to sign in.  So I reverted to this old moniker from years ago and just wandered in these woods as one_feral_kat  ^oo^~
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Mine has been like that for a year and I'm still using it.   It's really not a big hassle, but the CGS is your friend for sure!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    I've never dropped the PS.  I've been pretty particular about keeping everything in good shape and treating the equipment well.  It's all so expensive so I don't have a choice lol.

Do you guys have a link to the CGS product you're referring to?
    NC - LBGE
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    edited November 2019
    Options
    https://ceramicgrillstore.com
    Edited to say Tom will not sell you something you don't need.  He will talk with you and find out YOUR best option.   

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• alaskanassasin
    Options
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I have a plate setter with a hairline crack. It was warrantied out. I now also have a cast iron plate setter. It still cooks ok and has not separated at the crack.

The cracked one is just sitting in my garage. I am going to toss it out unless someone wants it? Nominal fee??? I am in the milwaukee wi area.
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • sabretooth04
    Options
    Mine broke a leg off.  Just used JB Weld and put it back on.  Working fine for the last 14 years like this.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I was broke they day I purchased my egg. Get use to it.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Options
    I'd ask about a replacement.  If you cared for it well, it should be covered. They can't prove it one way or the other, but somewhere along the way there was a hairline crack that became a break due to temperature. 

I have no issues with mine.  I am careful with it, but I don't baby it or anything.  It's solid.

I also have the ceramic grill store setup.  There are times when one is better than the other. Both work fine, though.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    Never owned a place setter.  Bought the CGS half moon stones and WOO from day 1 of owning egg.  4 years of cooking and abuse, and still going!
  • wardo
    Options
    Fun little wrinkle in the equation now....

The store I bought my egg from went out of business lol.
    NC - LBGE
  • one_feral_kat
    one_feral_kat Posts: 14
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Your warranty is from BGE Atlanta - not the dealer anyway! Chin up! ^oo^~
    My name is Ron Pratt and I've posted here for 20 years as RRP. For a while in November I was unable to sign in.  So I reverted to this old moniker from years ago and just wandered in these woods as one_feral_kat  ^oo^~
  • gabriegger
    Options
    Put in the claim with BGE.  It will be replaced. In the meantime save yourself the hassle of waiting and use JB Weld for ceramics.  It’s a clean break and an easy fix.  Fixed mine 6 yrs ago after a drop.  Then you’ll have a backup when the new one arrives.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• wardo
    Options
    Well final update here:

I went to the local hardware store where I buy most of my lump charcoal and other odds and ends for projects.  I explained the situation to the store manager and he actually hooked me up with a new platesetter.  He said he's seen it happen many times and it's a simple warranty item open and shut.  Great news and so thankful for the folks down in Waxhaw Ace.

Now I'm gonna see if I can JB Weld the old one back together for a backup!
    NC - LBGE
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It’s always great to have a dealer you can count on, glad to hear getting a replacement went smoothly. Regarding your comment on having to locate your receipt, I took a photo of mine and have it on my phone. The dealers I’ve working with the past couple years have just been asking for an email with that and a photo of the cracked component. 
    EGG on!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • wardo
    Options
    XC242 said:
    It’s always great to have a dealer you can count on, glad to hear getting a replacement went smoothly. Regarding your comment on having to locate your receipt, I took a photo of mine and have it on my phone. The dealers I’ve working with the past couple years have just been asking for an email with that and a photo of the cracked component. 
    EGG on!!
    That's a great idea.  I gotta see if I can find it though!
    NC - LBGE