Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Shotgun - OT

Options
Hey all, looking for feedback and opinions regarding a new 12 gauge.  Wanting a semi-auto for skeet/trap, light hunting.   Browning A5, Benelli Montefeltro are current considerations.  Finish isn’t real important.  I want reliability and something quality-wise that I can hand down.  Not a huge enthusiast, but somewhat knowledgeable.  So, any feedback is appreciated regarding brand, model, place of purchase (N. TX.), etc.  The $1,200 a $1,500ish or below is where I would prefer to be price-wise.  Thanks for input!
XLBGE, SS table
McKinney, TX.

Comments

• TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    I have a stoeger m3000 that i've hunted with for about 4 years, clays too. It has been very reliable and the only thing i've done is replace the extractor & spring with benelli parts. That said, I have gotten tired of shooting higher powered duck loads out of an intertia gun even with hunting clothing on and wanted something a little more refined as far as finish goes. I recently bought a remington v3 waterfowl ($900) and have been pretty happy with it. Lots of good reviews on the standard v3 (street price $600-$800) and a buddy has a versamax that he really likes. I'd say if your looking for a clays gun more so than a hunting gun, getting a gas gun may be the ticket. If looking for a "B" gun maybe the browning maxus (gas gun). If you are set on the two you mentioned, I might lean more towards the A5 as I believe it might weigh more than the monte.
    LBGE
    AL
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I’m very happy with my Beretta 1301 tactical, they sell a competition version. It’s very dependable.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • MCRyan
    MCRyan Posts: 167
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback.   I’ll check out Stoeger (benelli brand) and Beretta.   Haven’t ever looked at Beretta.  I see that the A300 is made in USA.  Not that this makes a bologna difference.  That attracts me though.  Less $$ than my first two choices.   That is also appealing.  
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,686
    edited November 2019
    Options
    My dad has a Benelli ETHOS that I used for sporting clays before.  It's pretty nice.......very lightweight, not much kick, and it's not finicky on cleaning like other automatics.

Here's my toy for raptor hunting!!!  I tried to take it on the sporting clay course just for fun, but it will only cycle with slugs or certain buck shot.  Very little kick--doesn't hurt much even without a buttstock pad.

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Browning Maxus, Winchester SX4 or Beretta-A400 sporting. All are soft shooting and reliable. Stay away from the 3 1/2" models. The A-400 will handle a lot of customization with counter weights and such.

Even though I have some of the new gas guns, I prefer the old Winchester Super X Model 1.

Benelli will kick like a mule. Had and sold a couple of those.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    My Benelli Super Black Eagle II shoots like a dream and is easy to carry around all day. Whatever you buy, get it fit to you. It makes all the difference. 
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I just started looking this past weekend for a new one as well.  The barrel on my Franchi got a bulge on it.  I'm leaning towards the Reminton Versa Max V3.  Seems like a great gun at a great price.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• bgedealer
    Options
    Beretta A400. They are tough guns. I have an AL3901, now discontinued, that I've owned as my primary shotgun for sporting and hunting. I have shot more rounds than I care to count to out of that gun. I've owned it since I was 14...so about 15 years of annual use and abuse.
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • bgedealer
    Options
    Agree with the others on the 3" chamber vs 3.5". If you can't kill it with 3", an extra half inch isn't going to do a thing for you... other than beat the hell out of your shoulder. 
    AKA @MattBTI

Cunningham, KS
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    I just started looking this past weekend for a new one as well.  The barrel on my Franchi got a bulge on it.  I'm leaning towards the Reminton Versa Max V3.  Seems like a great gun at a great price.
    Remington is not what they used to be. Buyer beware. 
  • MacPa
    MacPa Posts: 20
    Options
    I like my versa max. bought it when nra named it shotgun of the year 7 or 8 years ago. literally thousands of rounds through it from 3 1/2 magnum waterfowl loads, to the reduced recoil loads my youngest sons browning would not cycle. in my avatar I'm shooting sporting clays with it. My oldest son's wife bought him one for Christmas a few years ago.  
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but I've heard nothing but good things about that gun. 
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Following. Ive wanted a semi auto scatter gun for as long as I can remember. I just assumed it would be a Benelli
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    I hear what you are saying but I've heard nothing but good things about that gun. 
    I had a Remington blow up in my face so I have bias. 
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    Benneli all the way.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,056
    Options
    Benneli is the BGE of shotguns for sure.  Just don’t plan on shooting low brass outta a semi auto though without hiccups, unless something has changed the past few years. I have a benneli turkey gun (pump) that’s pretty sweet. But for semi auto, benneli is better with high brass only. (Unless they’ve changed something in the past few years... haven’t kept up). 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Benneli is the BGE of shotguns for sure.  Just don’t plan on shooting low brass outta a semi auto though without hiccups, unless something has changed the past few years. I have a benneli turkey gun (pump) that’s pretty sweet. But for semi auto, benneli is better with high brass only. (Unless they’ve changed something in the past few years... haven’t kept up). 
    The SBE 3 will spit low brass 1 oz loads all day long.  they have changed the design a bit and have also eliminated the Benelli click.
  • FlyOverCountry
    Options
    A Benneli can really blow a snapping turtle to smithereens.
  • TennesseeEgger
    TennesseeEgger Posts: 2
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Benelli shotguns are hard to beat. They are very expensive.

A good quality, shoot every time, looks good, last a lifetime, worth the money shotgun, is the Winchester SX4. 
    IF a Winchester is a good fit for you, (this is important) I will highly recommend it. I've had mine for 3 seasons now, and I love it.
    XL BGE ; Weber 22" Premium Kettle ; Weber Smokey Joe ; Lodge Sportsman Grill ; 36" gas griddle;
    Union City, Tennessee
  • TideEggHead
    TideEggHead Posts: 1,338
    Options
    As @DoubleEgger said fit is the key! I would shoulder the ones you mentioned and a few more brands if you can. If benelli is what you want, maybe check out retay, they have the inertia plus bolt that eliminates the benelli “click”.
    LBGE
    AL
  • Thomasc18
    Thomasc18 Posts: 197
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Mossberg 930 JM Pro. I use for skeet shooting. Shoots great. Eats anything that I feed it with no issues. Often used for 3 gun.  I’d also look at Steoger M3K. Heard good reviews. 
    Madison, AL
  • Spaightlabs
    edited November 2019
    Options
    to say Mossberg's fit, finish, reliability and handling leave something to be desired would be a grotesque understatement.
  • MCRyan
    Options
    What do you all mean by “fit”?  Simply whether or not it feels right in a shooting position?   Other than that, are there “adjustments” you all can speak to?  

Would love a Benelli, but checked out the Stoeger M3500.  Seems like a heck of a gun for the price.  I know several of you said to steer away from 3.5, but if the capability is there, wouldn’t you like to have it?  If not there is the M3000 too.  Some have said you don’t even need a break in period with these guns.   Really appreciate all the feedback!!!
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • Spaightlabs
    Options
    Mainly fit means just what it says, how does the gun fit you , like a good pair of jeans fits.  There is an old saying that the best gun is the gun that fits you best...

When I mentioned fit and finish above I was speaking more like you wold think with a car, more along the quality of the consturciotn/build/quality of the gun.  Mossies are a little rough traditionally, though I have never handled or seen the 'Pro' model.
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Options
    every scatter gun I have bought comes down to fit.  You should be able to close your eyes, shoulder the gun and it should be aiming where your eyes are looking when you open them.  No point in paying money for something or trying to go cheap if it isn't going to fit right and you'll be missing.  

to answer the OP, I run a browning maxus in 12ga for the activities you describe.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • DoubleEgger
    edited November 2019
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    What do you all mean by “fit”?  Simply whether or not it feels right in a shooting position?   Other than that, are there “adjustments” you all can speak to?  

Would love a Benelli, but checked out the Stoeger M3500.  Seems like a heck of a gun for the price.  I know several of you said to steer away from 3.5, but if the capability is there, wouldn’t you like to have it?  If not there is the M3000 too.  Some have said you don’t even need a break in period with these guns.   Really appreciate all the feedback!!!
    Fit is length of pull, comb drop etc. Basically you want to shoulder your shotgun and not have to make any adjustments to keep a perfect line of sight down the barrel. Nicer shotguns have comb shim kits, thinner or thicker butt pads and other such items to
    get a better fit. A little extra time setting up your gun on the front end will save you a lot of aggravation and “I can’t believe I missed it” down the road. Here’s a short video I found online. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jLLnGM3DXE0

• littlerascal56
    Options
    Started out just like you... shoot some casual trap and skeet.  With a Remington 1100 Trap.  20 shotguns later (in 20 years), I was shooting Kreighoffs and Perazzi’s. You can shoot casual and “fun” shoots with a Beretta or Benelli, but they won’t be competitive when (or if) you get serious about skeet, trap, or sporting clays!
  • MCRyan
    Options
    @DoubleEgger  thanks for sharing the link in fitting.  I had no idea...  Makes all the sense in the world though; especially when you read littlerascle56’s post.  If I was that serious about it, I’d be broke!   

I get it though, quite a “rabbit hole” when it comes to brand, features, etc.  Just like anything else, hobby, interest, passion.   I’m still weighing all the options.      
    XLBGE, SS table
    McKinney, TX.
  • etherdome
    etherdome Posts: 471
    edited November 2019
    Options
    One vote for Super black eagle for best  all purpose shotgun. Changed the whole game for me. 
    Upstate SC
    Large BGE,  Blackstone, Weber genesis , Weber charcoal classic
  • DoubleEgger
    edited November 2019
    Options
    MCRyan said:
    @DoubleEgger  thanks for sharing the link in fitting.  I had no idea...  Makes all the sense in the world though; especially when you read littlerascle56’s post.  If I was that serious about it, I’d be broke!   

I get it though, quite a “rabbit hole” when it comes to brand, features, etc.  Just like anything else, hobby, interest, passion.   I’m still weighing all the options.      
    No worries. Having a gun that fits you is better than having Brand XXX just because of the brand... You don’t have to have a $20k shotgun to get a proper fit.