Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork Butt fat strip

Options
For a low and slow cook; fat strip up or down when placing it on the grate?
Calhoun, GA - LBGE

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Doesn’t matter for pork butt. Pick your poison. I tend to cook everything fat down towards the heat source, but it really isn’t a big deal with butts. Very forgiving cook. 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I agree with @pgprescott.  fat down is the way we tend to roll, but it doesn't make a difference.   

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    Good to hear.  I placed fat down since it was the flattest side. :-)
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • johnmitchell
    Options
    I tend to go fat up....
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    I do fat down, but doesn’t appear to make a difference as others have stated
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    Agree with Photo Egg
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    +1 with @Photo Egg. I trim it, but trim it down to 1/4” or less, but do leave some. Some of them can be really thick and fatty, so I take a knife to it, but always leave some.  I like that fat.   And I try to leave it fat cap up on the egg. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I go fat up on pork, and it all gets mixed into the meat. 

I never ever trim pork butts. I unwrap, rinse, rub, and then into the smoke. No funny business. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• dbCooper
    dbCooper Posts: 2,081
    Options
    I typically use a v-rack for butts and fat cap down.  Benefit for me is no meat/bark adheres to the rack.  Fat cap insulator in other words.
    LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
    Great Plains, USA
  • loco_engr
    loco_engr Posts: 5,765
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I think the Egg holds enough moisture during the cook and the fat cap is not needed. I trim it because I like the extra bark on all sides. Also less fat drippings this way.
    same for me . . . the more bark the better
    aka marysvilleksegghead
    Lrg 2008
    mini 2009
    XL 2021 (sold 8/24/23)
    Henny Youngman:
    I said to my wife, 'Where do you want to go for our anniversary?' She said, 'I want to go somewhere I've never been before.' I said, 'Try the kitchen.'
    Bob Hope: When I wake up in the morning, I don’t feel anything until noon, and then it’s time for my nap
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    +1 on trim the fat for more bark. 
    South Buffalo, New York
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,657
    Options
    I remove completely. 

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    What is left after the fat cap is trimmed to a maximum 1/2 cm, will be fat side up.

I brine for at least 24 hours

I do trim most of it off. I leave some, add my rub then cover with peach preserves prior to cooking.

Smoke it with peach.

Turns out great.

Spicy, sweet, salty, smokey char.....grab a grenache or pinot noir rosé, and knosh on the crust, before anyone sees what you are doing....

You are welcome.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Trim here for extra bark
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • LesMo
    LesMo Posts: 71
    Options
    I think I will try trimming the cap next time.  Yesterday was the first time I went with a semi-turbo method.  I was sharing with neighbors and wanted to be sure it was done in time for their dinner.  I started a 9 pound butt at 5:30 AM.  First 3 hours grid temp was ~250.  The remainder of the cook was ~285.  It hit 195 at 2 PM (much earlier than expected) and pulled it off and FTC for 3+ hours.  It was pretty good.  For all of the comments I hear about how forgiving pork butt is I still haven't mastered it.   Admittedly, the sample size is fairly small.   @YukonRon my go to for pork is Zinfandel, but I like bourbon when smoking.  Since I was conflicted, I stuck with water.  :-)   I also need to try the V rack like dbCooper uses.  Thanks to all for the input!
    Calhoun, GA - LBGE
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Trim and heavily season for extra bark, then fat side down.
    Mountain View, CA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    fat up and the rub washes off with the drippings. here its low and slow, fat completely trimmed off, lots of rub, lots of bark, pulled in big pieces
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    LesMo said:
    I think I will try trimming the cap next time.  Yesterday was the first time I went with a semi-turbo method.  I was sharing with neighbors and wanted to be sure it was done in time for their dinner.  I started a 9 pound butt at 5:30 AM.  First 3 hours grid temp was ~250.  The remainder of the cook was ~285.  It hit 195 at 2 PM (much earlier than expected) and pulled it off and FTC for 3+ hours.  It was pretty good.  For all of the comments I hear about how forgiving pork butt is I still haven't mastered it.   Admittedly, the sample size is fairly small.   @YukonRon my go to for pork is Zinfandel, but I like bourbon when smoking.  Since I was conflicted, I stuck with water.  :-)   I also need to try the V rack like dbCooper uses.  Thanks to all for the input!
    Red Zins are awesome.  I keep a few on the rack, for a few meals. Love them with beef roasts and stews.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Trim and heavily season for extra bark, then fat side down.
    Exactly how I do it!