Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Passing thoughts on the DFMT (Daisy Wheel)

Options
Mickey
Mickey Posts: 19,674
edited November 2019 in EggHead Forum

First i never use these. Have 5 tossed in garage somewhere or given away. 
This was posted by me years ago but just ran into the pics again. 
The top was one found from years of neglect and took to have sandblasted. 
Worked out like new and given to Village Idiot. 
I never use them as i control without DFMT on simply from using bottom vent. 
IMO just not needed. Use ceramic top to put out fire.  
Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

Comments

• xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    I'm with on never using them- unless I'm shooting for a long 225-250 cook.

I did buy the new version for the rain cap and I do like it also as a replacement for the dfmt 
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • paqman
    paqman Posts: 4,670
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I was skeptical at first but the smokeware cap works great. Rain or snow, it never leaves the egg.

Options
    I'm with you. The DFMT is just extra step in my opinion for anything above 250 degrees
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    edited November 2019
    Options
    How did you clean it up so well? Just sandblasted?  ya think BKF would work?  B)
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    TN_Egger said:
    How did you clean it up so well? Just sandblasted?  ya think BKF would work?  B)
    Just sandblasted 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Impressive clean up. I like the daisy wheel. I’m a reggulator user now, but like the daisy wheel, it’s not required for use. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    I used my daisy wheel constantly until I got the Smokeware cap.  
    Then, I got a Smobot so the DFMT is back in use; I now use the Smokeware cap to put out the fire (I bought my Large pre-assembled, and never got the ceramic cap).
    Would be cool if the Smobot had a button to close it off entirely at the end of the cook; scrolling to room temp takes more time than the Smokeware method.  

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I would like to donate my daisy to the smobot and get the reggulator or whatever the new top is called
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• unoriginalusername
    Options
    What does DFMT stand for 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited November 2019
    Options
    What does DFMT stand for 
    DFMT = Dual Function Metal Top 👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• cookingdude555
    Options
    Botch said:
    Then, I got a Smobot so the DFMT is back in use; I now use the Smokeware cap to put out the fire (I bought my Large pre-assembled, and never got the ceramic cap).
    Would be cool if the Smobot had a button to close it off entirely at the end of the cook; scrolling to room temp takes more time than the Smokeware method.  

Lower the temp drastically on the smobot causing it to close, then unplug it.  
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Botch said:

When you take your food off the Egg unplug the Smobot servo and then you can easily manually close the vanes to closed. Takes 5 seconds.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    Another old and slow DFMT user here.  Have never seen the need for another type cap.  Both bge's under a high roofed open porch.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I still prefer the Daisy Wheel      Also liked Daisy Duke
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    i use the daisy, theres just two seasons up here, snow and mud ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    That sure did clean up nice.  I like the Daisy wheel but I've not used any of the other options out there as of yet.  I'm sure I don't know what I'm missing.  The daisy wheel gives me a reason to go out and fidget with the grill though lol
    NC - LBGE