Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Aldi’s

Options
ryantt
ryantt Posts: 2,532
edited November 2019 in Off Topic
So I’ve never been an Aldi’s shopper, but Sunday after church we needed a few items, so I stopped in the new one by my house.  All I can say is what the heck...boy was I wrong!! They had tons of good looking produce, fresh salsa, a nice selection of organic stuff and name brands.   Totally different than what I expected it to be like(was thinking save a lot), I’ll be going back.  

If you’ve got one of these in your area can you tell me if the produce always looks good or was this a fluke.  
XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    My wife and I find some of their produce might not last or stay as fresh as other grocers. We still buy it but know to use it within a few days. 

We really like Aldi. We have no problem with any off brand names. It's not a grocery store replacement but a nice stop for certain items. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Carhoch
    Options
    They have a walnut bread that’s excellent 
    Suffolk,VA .XLBGE ,Blackstone griddle.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    love aldi but I don't like that I cannot get everything on my list in one stop
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• WeberWho
    Options
    We really like their pancake mix. We served pancakes at the Midwest eggfest one year and had a taster rave about them. She said, "Where did you guys get that pancake mix?" Our response, "Aldi". You should have seen her disgusted face after finding out was Aldi. It was awesome!
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    We bought some avocados, tomatoes, jalapeños and cilantro for nachos, all of it was good quality.  
    @WeberWho I’m going to grab some of the pancake mix for the Blackstone.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    ALDI is always my first stop, unless I know they won't have what's on my grocery list. As for produce, in general, I find that theirs doesn't last as long as that from my "traditional" grocery store. Brand names? Once in a while I find a few, but not often.

Pancake mix? I make my own. It's really little more effort, but mostly, it contains far less sodium. 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,494
    Options
    A more general comment, regarding "good-looking" produce.  
    Best "looking" produce around here is at Target, but the best tasting produce is from the farmer's market, or the two dive groceries that try to buy locally.  The "organic" grocery on my way home, too, the produce doesn't look that good.  And yes, it spoils faster.  
    The bigger, chain-style groceries buy produce that's bred to travel well, have great color, and uniform size; NOT necessarily taste better.  Its hard to determine the taste in the store, but try smelling the stem end of the veggie.  It's a pretty good indicator.  
    FWIW.    

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216179/ot-aldis

Discussed a while ago. Not even sure this is the aldi thread I remember.   I like @The Cen-Tex Smoker fun facts
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • GregW
    GregW Posts: 2,678
    Options
    Nothing wrong with Aldi, They are really coming on strong in my area. The selection is not as good as Publix, but for the better prices, I can adapt.
  • Botch
    Options
    Oh, and kinda related.  Standard supermarket "fresh" tomatoes, year-round, suck.  They now have "vine-ripened" tomatoes in many places, which look much more red and are even "still on the vine"!  So perfectly spaced, it's almost scary.  They taste marginally better.  But, the cherry and grape tomatoes that come in small containers, taste pretty damn good, even thru the winter, and I always have a container on my desk at work.  
    Never tried them for sauce (I'd hate to peel them!) but canned tomatoes thru the winter are just fine!  

• Botch
    Options
    Gah.  One final thing and I'll shut up: to date, science has not developed a preserving yet economical method to freeze a tomato.  

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:
    Gah.  One final thing and I'll shut up: to date, science has not developed a preserving yet economical method to freeze a tomato.  
    Canning is much better for tomatoes.  I just wish I could produce a crop with enough yield to be worthy of canning.
    NOLA
  • SaltySam
    SaltySam Posts: 887
    Options
    We overdosed on their seasonal pumpkin seed bread during the month of October.  They also have a good loaf of sourdough that makes killer panini sandwiches.  Love that place!

Funny thing, we recently moved to the east side of town. In the 12 years we’ve been in Omaha, I’d never been in to Aldi.  The new house is about four blocks from one and I’ve been there probably 20 times.  I look for reasons to go.  I clicked on your post immediately 

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    What about their competitors Lidl? They were popping up like wildfire in NC 2-3 years ago. Their stores appear to be a little bigger, flashier and brighter. Products and price seem comparable to me.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    im in there weekly, they have cleaned up their act and re vamped their stores. have not had a problem with the produce but i never buy more than a day or twos worth anyways. i get the italian speck alot, something most stores dont carry.  the hams are seasonal but better than a store bought coronado or cooks ham. milk and eggs are cheap, bread is good, they used to carry racer candy bars which tasted like snickers but now carry snickers, great low priced granola cereals.  i get the grass fed burger often.  cabots seriously sharp cheddar cheese in the waxed paper wrapping.  they had 30 dollar rotomolded yeti type coolers this summer. they never have enough cash register girls, the line builds up
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • gamason
    gamason Posts: 406
    Options
    Yall are lucky. The one by my house is awful. the ONLY thing I have ever found worthy of a repeat buy was their Appleton Farm hams. They are good. The rest is bargain basement crap. JMHO!

Snellville,Ga.

LBGE

Minimax

• fishlessman
    Options
    inexpensive avacado oil, really high smoke point

how could you resist

Image result for aldis fishlessman

fukahwee maine

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,663
    Options
    My only gripe with Aldis is the wait time to check out. There are only two cashiers and the store is always packed. It literally takes longer to check out than it does to shop. I don’t go there often for this reason.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I find that, no matter how long the ALDI checkout line is, it moves very quickly. Far faster than a "normal" grocery store (or Heaven forbid, walmart!). And, at my store anyway, they are pretty good about opening another line if it starts to back up. Happy with the house brand stuff too. Their orange juice is awesome!

Went to a brand new Lidl store in VA last summer (visiting Mom). Looks nicer, more name brands as I recall, larger store, wider aisles. Still, 800+ miles round trip is a bit too far to go to buy groceries. =) I like ALDI better, though I was only at Lidl the one time. Apparently no plans to open any Lidl stores up here any time soon.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• fishlessman
    edited November 2019
    Options
    I find that, no matter how long the ALDI checkout line is, it moves very quickly. Far faster than a "normal" grocery store (or Heaven forbid, walmart!). And, at my store anyway, they are pretty good about opening another line if it starts to back up. Happy with the house brand stuff too. Their orange juice is awesome!

Went to a brand new Lidl store in VA last summer (visiting Mom). Looks nicer, more name brands as I recall, larger store, wider aisles. Still, 800+ miles round trip is a bit too far to go to buy groceries. =) I like ALDI better, though I was only at Lidl the one time. Apparently no plans to open any Lidl stores up here any time soon.
    my aldis on island time, the customer should have a chair just like the checkout girl. time of day makes a huge difference, its fine in the morning and mid afternoon
    fukahwee maine

• MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    The Aldi I go to is really good, to the point I can drop in there for one or two things and not have to wait to long.  

Eggs $.79!!! a dozen local grocery is $1.79

I'll get pork chop and chicken there occasional, not fresh from the cow good but as good as the local grocery

Store brand tortilla chips (clarks or carls or something) are better than the name brands

And most importantly, Kerry Gold Butter!

Employees are great, hardworking as in always doing something and doing it rather efficiently (not just pushing a mop cause they were told to), and helpful!

• fishlessman
    Options
    6.5 quart enameled ci dutch ovens are 29.99 right now
    fukahwee maine

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Waterproof box for $5 in the summer. Works well for keeping my phones dry by the pool when caliprince is trying to drain the pool by splashing water EVERYWHERE. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    edited November 2019
    Options
    The Aldis around here look and smell like converted Goodwills. No thanks. 
  • WeberWho
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Dang. That sucks. Growing like weeds around here. Almost all brand new stores.

The newest Aldi across town is nicer than most grocery stores around here. Spotless and very inviting. 

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    Options
    they redid the stores here, much better now and more common name brands are showing up
    fukahwee maine

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    caliking said:
    Waterproof box for $5 in the summer. Works well for keeping my phones dry by the pool when caliprince is trying to drain the pool by splashing water EVERYWHERE. 

Does it keep your phone safe from the water dripping off of the models that the Prince hangs out with poolside?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:

Does it keep your phone safe from the water dripping off of the models that the Prince hangs out with poolside?
    That is precisely the reason why I bought it.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,866
    Options
    Mate - the UK is heaving with Aldi and Lidl store.  They are bang on trend right now.   Formerly the preserve of our friends in the community who needed to take their money go a long way - but now, awash with the middle class.  In fact it is now so socially acceptable to shop there that you don't need to take your Waitrose / M&S bag for life to stash the goods in to avoid being 'caught' by your peer group and excluded from the tennis club, amateur dramatics society and local council meetings.  All reasons I carrie their bags, FYI. 

Highlight for me & SWMBO as;
    1) low price
    2) fresh bakery
    3) chocolate (so I am told)
    4) the Isle of Sh*te (for me) - you know the one,  its in the middle of the store and its where you find a toilet seat next to the wet suits next to the socket sets next to the foot spa next to the motor oil nest to the child's play tent.....

If we are getting detailed, they have an interesting origin and business model.  A minor plot spoiler here, but they have fewer staff but pay them very well - knowing that competitors then have to drive up staff costs to keep their talent.

Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay