Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Not the point I was looking for....

Options
Asked a new butcher to separate a point for me. As far as I can tell, they basically cut a full packer in half right down the center... Not exactly what I was looking for... We had discussion about the approach, and I just took it as I felt I could roll with it as it was cut. What do you all think? Should I separate the half point / flat.. Or just go for it as is in one big chunk?

Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    That’s funny 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Roll with it.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    You're probably better off. I did the surgical separation thing last year and the point was much smaller than expected (see below). It was tasty, but there were not enough leftovers. That later of fat between the point and flat really keeps the flat moist when they're cooked together.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    All you need to know was mentioned by @SGH above. 
    Perhaps time for a new "butcher"??  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Let it rip just like it sits.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    I hope you went there twice.... First time and last time. 
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    Options
    Thanks all. Going to roll with it as is. 
  • Surveyor_Egg
    Options
    good choice...definitely seek out a new butcher.  When a bunch of rookie eggheads know bovine anatomy better than the butcher then someone needs to retire. 

------

1 Large BGE

Boston, MA

• acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    edited November 2019
    Options
    Turned out tasty no less. Finished the burnt ends with basic BBQ sauce + beef broth + a little honey over top. Tried a few with Cherry Coke + cherry Juice + Carolina style (no sugar) sauce. The Cherry Coke version was a bit much. But fun to try. I might try the cherry juice + Carolina style without the Coke next time... But my fave is the basic BBQ sauce + broth. We often leave the suckers in a bit long so we get a good crunch on top, then toss them into a slow cook pot of cowboy beans. Killer cowboy beans.  
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    Looks like a great result after all!
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    Hard to complain about that. Looks good from here.
    Stillwater, MN