Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Article: The Economics of Texas BBQ

Options
LBGE, LBGE-PTR, 22" Weber, Coleman 413G
Great Plains, USA

Comments

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    BBQ is growing everywhere, not just Texas. A couple of our local microbrewers now have a bbq place attached to them.
    Have been wondering for more than a year when the microbrew bubble is going to pop. Probably getting close to time to start wondering when the bbq joint bubble is also going to pop.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    BBQ is growing everywhere, not just Texas. A couple of our local microbrewers now have a bbq place attached to them.
    Have been wondering for more than a year when the microbrew bubble is going to pop. Probably getting close to time to start wondering when the bbq joint bubble is also going to pop.

I was thinking the same thing. But I think there is still time. Seems like BBQ joints have not reached the saturation level that micro and craft breweries have. 

But I live under a rock and don't get out much, so I know  there are way many more good bbq joints in other places that I just haven't heard of. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    That is an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

@caliking Maybe artisan charcuterie is next. Classes in bung stuffing and tying? Can you get arrested for saying that?
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Have been wondering for more than a year when the microbrew bubble is going to pop.

Really?  I have a hard time imagining people getting sick of craft beer anytime soon.

Now, I can see a situation where fewer microbreweries end up being able to distribute nationally.  We’re probably way past that already.  But it seems to me that many of these joints aren’t more than a couple of blokes who are friends and mostly want to make beer that they like.  

Of course I live in a town with an embarrassment of breweries so take my views with a grain of salt.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • OhioEgger
    OhioEgger Posts: 903
    Options
    Last time I looked at the statistics for microbreweries, brewpubs, etc., the trend went something like this. For every seven that open, five others close. 

So the overall growth rate is good, but it's a very tough business to really succeed in.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Have been wondering for more than a year when the microbrew bubble is going to pop.

Really?  I have a hard time imagining people getting sick of craft beer anytime soon.

Now, I can see a situation where fewer microbreweries end up being able to distribute nationally.  We’re probably way past that already.  But it seems to me that many of these joints aren’t more than a couple of blokes who are friends and mostly want to make beer that they like.  

Of course I live in a town with an embarrassment of breweries so take my views with a grain of salt.
    Not that people will get sick of craft beer (still going strong after some millennia) but there are only so many breweries that the beer drinking populace can support. 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    OhioEgger said:
    Last time I looked at the statistics for microbreweries, brewpubs, etc., the trend went something like this. For every seven that open, five others close. 

So the overall growth rate is good, but it's a very tough business to really succeed in.
    There is a plethora of slightly used brewing equipment for sale at pennies on the dollar. Without adequate distribution the model is difficult to sustain. The days of sneaking up on the giants is over. They use some strong arm tactics these days to squash the upstarts. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2019
    Options

It's a primal thing. BBQ is popular because at its heart its simple. Meat cooked over or with the aid of flame. It can be fancy too but the best I've had has always been simple. BBQ can also be very very lucrative. Even with today's meat prices a simple catering gig can render $100s if not $1,000s of dollars of solid profit. 

A simplified example. My mother in law used to run a BBQ Business out of a food truck/trailer. She would only work weekends and do catering jobs a few times a month. I think when she and I did the math she easily made a 6 figure income before taxes. For every brisket she bought and sold she made about $100 profit. A large catering job would earn her $2K-$3K. It's when you start using a variable cost model and adding headcount that your profits get eaten up. Stay small and you can reap the earnings for yourself.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    That is an interesting read. Thanks for posting it.

@caliking Maybe artisan charcuterie is next. Classes in bung stuffing and tying? Can you get arrested for saying that?
    I need some of those classes. Demonstrated this weekend  that my bung stuffing and tying skills are not where they could be. I'm better at doing other things to bung. 

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,659
    edited October 2019
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I used to frequent Sam’s Quik Shop that place was awesome. I think that was the name of it, just down from the hospital.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Not that people will get sick of craft beer (still going strong after some millennia) but there are only so many breweries that the beer drinking populace can support. 
    @caliking So we need more beer drinkers! :rock_on:
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • Hotch
    Hotch Posts: 3,564
    edited October 2019
    Options
    I spent the weekend at the SCA World Championship in Ft Worth. Had a great time helping a friend from Chicago area. I got to talk with a few of the international guys here competing. A BBQ competitor from Belgium was telling me that it is growing fast at home. Asked what proteins they cook and it is Texas style with Brisket, ribs, pork and chicken. Thing is their local cattle breeds are very lean and local sourced brisket for comps pretty much does not exist. It all is imported from the states mostly. Prices are high!
    Large BGE, MiniMAX BGE, 2 Mini BGE's, R&V Fryer, 36" Blackstone Griddle, Camp Chef Dual Burner 40K BTU Stove
    BGE Chiminea
    Prosper, TX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    I don't know where the growth stops and the industry flat-lines for each industry but I would bet on the staying power of the Q.  B)  Then again I thought the craft beer business topped out around 10 years ago.  Of course, you don't know the volume the micro businesses need to become self-sustaining. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina I used to frequent Sam’s Quik Shop that place was awesome. I think that was the name of it, just down from the hospital.
    Sam’s still exists, the location is just different.  It’s where I get all of my beer.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:

If the bubble refers to new microbreweries popping up and sticking around, no argument there.  My guess is that it’s still a growing industry but that the rate of growth has slowed.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Craft breweries can put out disgusting swill and slap some style tag on it and act like it doesnt suck. 

I bought a 12 ounce bottle yesterday of a seasonal that was supposedly very good and highly rated. Tasted like cough syrup, I was pissed. It cost $9!

There is a line, and many brewers have crossed it. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)