Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SRF supplying restaurants?? OT

Options
I went to a new BBQ place in the twin cities and they said they use wagyu from SRF for their brisket.  I didn't know that they supplied restaurants all over the nation, guess it makes sense though.  Do you know any other places that use it?

Comments

• MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    I should add that the quality of the best was exceptional but it lacked smokeyness.  Do u trust a BBQ joint that you can't smell the smokey flavor when you walk into it?
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    1) I'm pretty sure at least one place in Houston was using SRF for brisket.

2) No, I don't trust a place that doesn't smell like a smokehouse.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I’ve seen it at quite a few places- mostly steakhouses.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    “Cut” in Las Vegas uses SRF, and a small’ish chain called “Jakers” in the Midwest/west part of the country does as well. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    Le Moo restaurant (primarily steakhouse) in Louisville has had SRF cuts on their menu for at least the past three+ years so if they are in this part of fly-over country then you can probably find 'em most anywhere. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    I've had SRF in Taiwan, "A5 Steak House" in Hsinchu. It blew my mind, and of course was great.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    There are several places in Chicago that use their beef.  Have yet to see brisket or pork products though.  There are a couple of place in Chi that use Creekstone for their briskets.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I saw a box out back of a restaurant in Friday Harbor Washington a few years back. I don't recall the name of the restaurant....but if important.....will run it down.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @northGAcock what were you doing out in the back of the restaurant?  
    Large and MiniMax

• kjs
    kjs Posts: 111
    Options
    Jack Browns Burger and Beer Joint (started in VA, locations in several southern states now) exclusively uses SRF ground beef.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Don't you know that the best off times are out by the dumpster? You fools who pay to drink at the bar.......
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Where in the Twin cities is this? Name?
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Where in the Twin cities is this? Name?
    It's a relatively new place in St Paul.  Bark and the Bite, 2186 Marshall Ave, St Paul, MN

Overall it was pretty good, the lack of smoke smell always throws me off though.

Not the cheapest, not the most expensive either.   1\2 pound of brisket was 20$.  

they have wings and ribs too, the ribs were really good.

It's what I would call one of the new hipster bbq joints.

• MN-Egger
    MN-Egger Posts: 133
    Options
    Then I will take my hipster son and his wife so I can fit in somehow :)  
    --
    Jeff
    Near Twin Cities, MN
    Large BGE
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    edited October 2019
    Options
    Sea2Ski said:
    Don't you know that the best off times are out by the dumpster? You fools who pay to drink at the bar.......
    Also - if I'm in a strange place and wonder about a restaurant I'll circle around by their dumpsters. If their trash area is clean, I bet the kitchen is clean - if the trash area is gross, their kitchen just might be as well...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    I've been to a Jaker and a Cut, jakers I didn't think was that good so having SFR supplying them surprises me.

Cut has always been great so that makes sense now too.

I guess I never realized how much Wagyu meat is really out there in the world.  Not as exclusive as I had thought before.  Still awesome though :)
  • Sea2Ski
    Options
    @MNEggerandStuff. I had the complete opposite experience.  We’re were on a road trip in my wife’s quest to visit all 50 states. I forget which one it was, but we ended up eating at the same Jakers twice.

When we went to Cut, everything about the meal was horrible. Service was ridiculously slow, they were trying to push wine down our throat, and the meat was not enjoyable at all. It was downright poor. The place was only half full because while we were “early” by LV standards, our reservation was for 6:30. Maybe they just had a really bad night. Don’t know... 

With all that being said, I know my experience is not the norm as many people I know have went there and loved it. I on the other hand would not go back unless someone else was paying for it all. 
    Large and MiniMax

• BugFreak72
    Options
    I went to a new BBQ place in the twin cities and they said they use wagyu from SRF for their brisket.  I didn't know that they supplied restaurants all over the nation, guess it makes sense though.  Do you know any other places that use it?

Tiffins in Disney's Animal Kingdom in Orlando has it. They are on and off so I assume it is a supply thing but I've seen SRF steaks there a couple times.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    They apparently sell to supermarkets too. 

This was at H-Mart in Houston. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    MN-Egger said:
    Then I will take my hipster son and his wife so I can fit in somehow :)  
    Be aware that they only do brisket on the weekends.
  • byrne092
    byrne092 Posts: 746
    Options
    There's a BBQ place in town that has the option to get SRF wagyu as an upcharge when ordering brisket. Having had SRF brisket, I opted for the wagyu. My wife and I both were disappointed; we either didn't get wagyu or they murdered it during the cooking process. They have a butcher shop in the front where you can buy multiple SRF and RR offerings, the price isn't that far off from ordering direct.
    XL, Medium BGE & Blackstone I XAR-Woo2 & Rig-BO Flameboss 500

St. Louis, MO