Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Help! Stuck lid

Options
Last night I was burning off the lump that was leftover from the last cook. There was quite a bit lump and the grill got really hot, 700°+. Now, the lid is stuck shut. I assume the seal is shot and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions to get it unstuck?

Also, is there a better gasket to replace it with?

Comments

• johnmitchell
    Options
    @RRP...He is the man for Rutland gaskets
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Get a thin metal putty knife and hammer it between the halves, then work it around to free the top. Then get an @RRP gasket and egg on. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,350
    Options
    Light a few pieces of lump and put it in the bottom of the egg. That should be enough heat to free the gunk and allow the lid to open.

Ron's the man when it comes to Rutlands
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Last night I was burning off the lump that was leftover from the last cook. 
    Why? A waste of perfectly good lump.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    The gasket isn’t necessarily junk IMO. Heat up like they said above by lighting through lower vent. Then take a putty knife and slowly and carefully work it between the gaskets. Usually it’s a combination of grease and sauce etc. that was in the gasket getting heated up to a molten gunk and then solidifying together when it is cooled down. If
    you feel you need to replace after opening , you know the characters. 

Good luck
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Last night I was burning off the lump that was leftover from the last cook. 
    Why? A waste of perfectly good lump.
    I am reasoning a CI skillet. Normally i would put it in the oven on 500° for an hour or so to burn off everything but the wife didn't like that it stinks up the house. Plus I'm trying to get rid of the last bit of cowboy lump.
  • haroldopsf
    haroldopsf Posts: 37
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Last night I was burning off the lump that was leftover from the last cook. There was quite a bit lump and the grill got really hot, 700°+. Now, the lid is stuck shut. I assume the seal is shot and needs to be replaced. Any suggestions to get it unstuck?

I had that happen twice, doing the same thing you are doing (cleaning with heat). The reason why they are stuck is due to grease residues solidifying in your gaskets. You will have to pry the lids open, slowly with a spatula or paint scraper. Your gaskets will be useless after this.
    Yes, I believe the gasket that comes with the egg is the cheapest POS they could put it there. The Rutland is probably better, but still not good enough. I ended up buying this:

https://www.bbqguys.com/kamado-joe/fiberglass-gasket-for-24-inch-bigjoe-grills

It arrived at my house a couple of days ago. Will update the thread I have going on this as soon as I replace it. My bro in law has the Big Joe, and his gasket looks new after almost 2 years of use. It is costly, but if you are looking for the best gasket, I think that is it. 
    For reference, this is the other recent thread I started about the subject:
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221373/ordered-the-new-kamado-joe-wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Get a free gasket from @RRP, just ask @WesJohnson how.  
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Thanks all, I used a spackle knife and was able to get it opened. The gasket is very hard and no longer "spongey". Looking to replace asap.
  • CornfedMA
    Options

I had that happen twice, doing the same thing you are doing (cleaning with heat). The reason why they are stuck is due to grease residues solidifying in your gaskets. You will have to pry the lids open, slowly with a spatula or paint scraper. Your gaskets will be useless after this.
    Yes, I believe the gasket that comes with the egg is the cheapest POS they could put it there. The Rutland is probably better, but still not good enough. I ended up buying this:

It arrived at my house a couple of days ago. Will update the thread I have going on this as soon as I replace it. My bro in law has the Big Joe, and his gasket looks new after almost 2 years of use. It is costly, but if you are looking for the best gasket, I think that is it. 
    https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1221373/ordered-the-new-kamado-joe-wire-mesh-fiberglass-gasket

100 doll-hairs definitely qualifies as pricey. My original gasket has lasted about 5 yrs on one of my XL’s. I find it hard to believe that an extra $75 gets me a legit lifetime gasket. Anyone else used these? 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    CornfedMA said:

100 doll-hairs definitely qualifies as pricey. My original gasket has lasted about 5 yrs on one of my XL’s. I find it hard to believe that an extra $75 gets me a legit lifetime gasket. Anyone else used these? 
    Serious question - does this gasket come with a warranty? 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Thanks all, I used a spackle knife and was able to get it opened. The gasket is very hard and no longer "spongey". Looking to replace asap.
     nothing wrong with a hard gasket. Other than it may get stuck again if you're doing pizza or a clean burn. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    Haven't had a gasket 10 years.    
    South Buffalo, New York
  • BUFFALOMOOSE
    Options
    And I am.not unique (Although my wife says I am.) LOL.
    South Buffalo, New York
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    My gasket doesnt really seal anymore but it doesnt make a difference. No way I'm paying 100 bones for a gasket. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• haroldopsf
    haroldopsf Posts: 37
    edited September 2019
    Options
    caliking said:
    CornfedMA said:

Serious question - does this gasket come with a warranty? 
    I have no idea, so assuming it does not. I am expecting this gasket to remain spongy enough longer than the ones I have tried so far. It is definitely thicker. When my gaskets get hard overtime, there will be small gaps here or there around the egg, despite it being seemingly perfectly leveled. When I watch my bro in law close and latch his KJ lid, when the latch engages, his top lid is tilted forwards a lot (big gap in the rear, no gap in the front), and yet the gasket fills everywhere,  you cannot squeeze an atom through anywhere. The thing is so sealed it takes effort to actually close the lid and squeeze the air out. I want that, please.
    I will install the KJ gasket next week, probably monday night. Will post results and pics on the other thread