Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT- How would you prep and preserve a set of small rim mounted tires -OT

Options
After around 3 years of quarterly rotating (on the axle) the pneumatic rear set of tires on my smoker I decided to land the rig on jack stands and pull the tires.  My question is how to best preserve the tires now out of the elements so that when my estate gets rid of the smoker the tires will be useful??
Any insights appreciated. 
Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.

Comments

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,888
    Options
    Out of the sun and out of the weather.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • sheetmetalpete
    Options
    ^^ This.  Carlisle Tires claims that tires lose 30% of their strength within 3 years just from sunlight/UV rays.  
    Glencoe, Minnesota
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,345
    Options
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options

1. Before storing grab some soap, water a tire brush to clean each tire of dirt, grime and brake dust. If you keep your tires on wheels, make sure to clean those too. Make sure to dry completely and don’t apply any type of tire dressing.

2. After cleaning, place each tire in its own large, airtight plastic bag (lawn and leaf bags work well here) for storing. Avoid any moisture in the bag and remove as much air as possible. Close the bag tightly with tape to create a personal space for each tire. This helps to reduce oil evaporation.

3. Keep tires out of direct sunlight. The sun’s ultraviolet rays and heat are detrimental to rubber.

4. Place the tires in a cool, dry location. A basement or climate-controlled space works best whereas a standard garage, shed or attic often see a wide range of hot and cold temperatures as well as precipitation and humidity. Make sure to store your tires away from things like electric motors, furnaces, switches, and sump pumps because they are sources of ozone.

5. If possible, store tires vertically rather than stacking horizontally to reduce stress and tire distortion. Also, place on a piece of clean wood and not directly on the ground.

6. If you don’t store your tires in individual bags, and instead stack them, make sure to stack them “white to white” and “black to black” to prevent staining of the white rubber as white and black rubber are compounded differently.

7. As an additional note, don’t let a vehicle sit on tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives. Driving on your tires will help flex the tire and maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.

Just like us, tires are always aging. But these few tips will help slow the process and extend the life of your tires while in storage. Remember, before mounting your stored tires back on your vehicle, make sure to have a tire professional inspect the tires first. 

"Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    I have zero to offer other than to say that this thread cracks me up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    I have zero to offer other than to say that this thread cracks me up.
    Well, it is driven by the smoker aspect so there's that.  And this forum has amazing knowledge across the full spectrum.  I could have been google smart I guess but figured I would offer some entertainment.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    After around 3 years of quarterly rotating (on the axle) the pneumatic rear set of tires on my smoker I decided to land the rig on jack stands and pull the tires.  My question is how to best preserve the tires now out of the elements so that when my estate gets rid of the smoker the tires will be useful??
    Any insights appreciated. 
    This was the part that cracked me up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    I would wash the tires, dry them, then spray with 303 aerospace protectant. Then bag them up and store them away. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    YukonRon said:

1. Before storing grab some soap, water a tire brush to clean each tire of dirt, grime and brake dust. If you keep your tires on wheels, make sure to clean those too. Make sure to dry completely and don’t apply any type of tire dressing.

2. After cleaning, place each tire in its own large, airtight plastic bag (lawn and leaf bags work well here) for storing. Avoid any moisture in the bag and remove as much air as possible. Close the bag tightly with tape to create a personal space for each tire. This helps to reduce oil evaporation.

3. Keep tires out of direct sunlight. The sun’s ultraviolet rays and heat are detrimental to rubber.

4. Place the tires in a cool, dry location. A basement or climate-controlled space works best whereas a standard garage, shed or attic often see a wide range of hot and cold temperatures as well as precipitation and humidity. Make sure to store your tires away from things like electric motors, furnaces, switches, and sump pumps because they are sources of ozone.

5. If possible, store tires vertically rather than stacking horizontally to reduce stress and tire distortion. Also, place on a piece of clean wood and not directly on the ground.

6. If you don’t store your tires in individual bags, and instead stack them, make sure to stack them “white to white” and “black to black” to prevent staining of the white rubber as white and black rubber are compounded differently.

7. As an additional note, don’t let a vehicle sit on tires for extended periods of time. Long-term inactivity is more harmful to tires than weekly drives. Driving on your tires will help flex the tire and maintain oil dispersion within the rubber compounds.

Just like us, tires are always aging. But these few tips will help slow the process and extend the life of your tires while in storage. Remember, before mounting your stored tires back on your vehicle, make sure to have a tire professional inspect the tires first. 

I believe this concept will work for dry aging beef as well.  Lol.  

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i would stack them in the sun, fill with dirt, plant potatoes in them =) start with black tires in the spring, paint them white in the summer when it gets hot
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    We did the tire thing for taters a couple years ago, worked alright

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• OhioEgger
    Options
    I've always heard that if tires are mounted on rims, you should store them flat on their sides. If unmounted, store them upright.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,040
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Toss the tires, but a Benjamin Franklin in an envelope, label envelop "Tires for Smoker", and then put the envelop in a safe place.

Will probably be cheaper than cost/effort to preserve current tires.  Especially once you figure daily rate per square foot of storage at your house for the next 30 years.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • KKoterski
    KKoterski Posts: 16
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Depending on size/weight of the smoker, I would suggest getting some normal passenger tires. 

Most "trailer" tires aren't made to really go over 45-50mph and start to slowly break down when they do. They also aren't made to the same standards as a passenger tire so they also don't hold up to exposure as well. I highly doubt your smoker weighs more than a small car so I would suggest looking there. They also balance better so not as much trailer movement.

Regardless of tire choice, what everyone else said. Put some shine/protector on them and try to keep them out of the sun and out of the elements. Like a rubber band, all tires eventually lose their natural oils and begin to crack when they should stretch, some sooner than others. DOT requires tires older than 10 years be replaced. Manufacture date can be found on the sidewall.

For reference, I worked at a tire and wheel only shop for about 3 years, sold about $100k in retail each year, and installed/balanced/repaired countless tires of all sizes from lawn mower to 37"+
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    One thing I love about this forum is how we get real world solutions for hypothetical and sarcastic questions.   

You be you, forum.  I love you.
    Options
    Toss the tires, but a Benjamin Franklin in an envelope, label envelop "Tires for Smoker", and then put the envelop in a safe place.

Will probably be cheaper than cost/effort to preserve current tires.  Especially once you figure daily rate per square foot of storage at your house for the next 30 years.
    @O@Ozzie_Isaac - No worries about the storage and duration.  I have enough completed laps of the sun such that that is not an issue.  But I like the approach. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    Is this thread sinking?? A test!