Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

caribbean style wings

Options
I was recently on vacation in St James City, Fl.  we boated over to "the boathouse" in Cape Coral for dinner.  my sons ordered their Caribbean style wings.  those damn things are the absolute best wings we've ever had!  they had a decent amount of heat & all spice flavor mixed with honey.  before I start experimenting with the random inter-web recipes, I thought I would consult with my fellow eggheads.  do any of y'all have any recipes/recommendations?

Comments

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I'm no expert on Caribbean cooking, but with "Caribbean", "heat" and "allspice" in the mix, it sounds like Jerk. Except for the honey. The jerk recipes I have seen all have some sugar though so maybe that's their twist, honey instead of sugar.

You might pick up a jar of Walkerswood Jerk Seasoning and give that a try. It comes in Mild and Hot versions. I find the mild to be seriously mild. Good flavor, but no heat. And the hot is not objectionably hot. Maybe add some honey?

There are a zillion jerk seasoning recipes out there. Most I looked at are very similar so if you want to give that a shot instead of WW, have at it.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/jamaican-jerk-chicken
    http://caribbeanpot.com/a-classic-jamaican-jerk-marinade/
    http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/jerk_chicken.htm
    http://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1145893/authentic-jamaican-jerk-recipe

Hope this helps.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Walkerswood marinade is popular here, but making your own marinade will handily beat any store bought product. 

Some folks throw pimento wood in the mix. Available online. Maybe someone will chime in with a link. 

One tip I learned here is to marinate wings for 48 hrs. The flavor penetrates deep into the wing and really makes for a good bite. 

Here’s a marinade recipe that I like (originally posted by @JohnInCarolina in another thread a while back):

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• onpoint456
    Options
    Here is one I use on chicken quarters. It would probably be great for wings.

Ingredients

• 6 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
      • 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
      • 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
      • 4 Scotch bonnet or habanero chiles, stemmed, seeded, coarsely chopped
      • 3 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
      • 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
      • 1 tablespoon minced peeled fresh ginger
      • 1 tablespoon (packed) dark brown sugar
      • 2 teaspoons allspice berries
      • 1 teaspoon kosher salt plus more
      • 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
      • 2 tablespoons distilled white vinegar

Preparation

1. Purée 4 tablespoons oil and the next 10 ingredients in a food processor until smooth. Transfer 1/4 cup marinade to a small bowl and make sauce: Whisk in vinegar and remaining 2 tablespoons oil and season to taste with salt. Refrigerate sauce. Put meat in a glass, stainless-steel, or ceramic dish. Toss with remaining marinade. Cover and chill for at least 3 hours or overnight.
      2. Remove meat from marinade, pat dry, and grill.
  • THEBuckeye
    THEBuckeye Posts: 4,231
    Options
    B I N G O ! 
    New Albany, Ohio 

• RockyTopDW
    Options
    thanks for all of the replies.  it's not jerked chicken.  I've cooked with Walker's many times.  that is good stuff.  these were honey with a slight heat & some other spice I couldn't pick out.  I guess it's time to experiment.  
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    thanks for all of the replies.  it's not jerked chicken.  I've cooked with Walker's many times.  that is good stuff.  these were honey with a slight heat & some other spice I couldn't pick out.  I guess it's time to experiment.  
     Snap. Talk about generalizing and assuming that  any Caribbean- style chix MUST be jerk. I think I was the jerk :) My bad. 

I googled "Caribbean honey chicken" and a bunch of recipes popped up. Didn't check all of them, but it seems it calls for allspice (like jerk chix). Is that the spice you tasted, or do you think it was something else?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Give the restaurant a call and see what you can find out. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options
    Im in Naples tonight and want to drive to the Boathouse right now 
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    Options

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Any of you folks try the Caribeque seasonings?  I tried their jerk, Calypso, and Island Thyme.  Overall, I didn't think they quite made it to the level of the Dizzy Pig line, but I kept coming back to the Island Thyme, and think I may order some more.  I bet it'd be great on wings.
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    thetrim....MY MAN!  did you go or is that a screen shot?  I try calling them tonight.  thanks again.

Theophan- no, I haven't. 
  • JethroBodeen
    Options
    "Sweet chili sauce" makes me think of the sweet stuff with crushed red in it that they sell in the Asian section at the grocery store....
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Yeah sounds like sweet Thai chili sauce. Readily available in any grocery. It is similar to crack in addiction level. 
  • thetrim
    Options
    No I didn’t go. I got that off their website. I asked a couple friends.   They haven’t been there but they liked the description 
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • RockyTopDW
    Options
    Still haven’t had a chance to experiment yet.  I’ll let y’all know what I figure out