Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Photo and note journalling

Options
Anyone use an app to journal your cooks? Looking for an app that I can take notes and attach pictures.

Comments

• Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    edited September 2019
    Options
    I use Paprika for all of my recipes, and I use it many ways to help me with notes and methods for grilling and smoking.

First, I use the Notes section to write down anything I want about that recipe, or that style of cook.  For example, on my recipe for a particular rub for steak that has fennel seeds, black peppercorns and crushed red chile flakes in it, I wrote,
    WOW, this was GOOD!!!  I toasted the spices fairly darkly, and WOW, really delicious!!!  The second time I went more by the recipe and did NOT toast the chili flakes, and it was delicious, but I think it was better the first time, so I'm going to change the recipe to toast the chili flakes each time.
    So that's there the next time I make that rub.

Second, I have a series of "recipes" in Paprika that aren't really recipes, but just methods for how to do something regardless of the specific recipe, like how I like to smoke pork for pulled pork, regardless of the recipe, how I like to smoke ribs, chicken wings, reverse sear steak.  Most of these I do so often I don't look at them, anymore, but they were helpful when I was nailing them down, and if it's been a while, I can just search for "method" and there they are.  Like on "Spareribs & Turbo Ribs Method" I have directions for how I usually do it, how "Mickey on EggHead" said he does turbo ribs, rough estimates for how long at different temps, etc..

It'll also automatically scale recipes for you, changing all of the quantities for 1/2, or x 2, or anything you want.  You can put times in the directions and then it'll automatically set a timer for you when you tap on that time.  Does a lot of other stuff, too.

Here's a sample recipe page with my notes:

Usually I just use one photo (or none), but you can add more photos if you want.  I have Paprika on my desktop computer and on my phone, and anything I do on one automatically goes to the other.  Another cool thing is that it means I have ALL of my recipes anywhere I go!  So if I'm at a rented house at the beach, visiting my brother, anywhere, I can cook anything I want because I have all of my recipes.  I really like it.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I copy any new recipes onto a Pages doc (Apple built-in) and keep them in a folder in Dropbox.  
    Dropbox organizes files in alphabetical order, so I title them so they self-organize, for example:
    Beef, braised, hungarian
    Pasta, tuna & capers

I'm actually taking an Android class right now, I need to ask the instructor if I can get Dropbox on my phone, that'd be trick!  Thanks for the idea.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• JethroBodeen
    Options
    Similar to Theopan, I use Mastercook. I dont really do much with pics though. But the notes part, scaling recipes, nutritional info, shopping lists, auot save recipe from web, etc. Mastercook does it.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Theophan said:
    I use Paprika for all of my recipes, and I use it many ways to help me with notes and methods for grilling and smoking.

@Theophan tip for your shrimp recipe - roast the shrimp shells until they are lightly pink (takes 5 min or so) before you make your stock.  Really helps the flavor.
    NOLA
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Botch said:

I'm actually taking an Android class right now, I need to ask the instructor if I can get Dropbox on my phone, that'd be trick!  Thanks for the idea.  
    You can.  Dropbox has an app.
    NOLA
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Botch said:
    I copy any new recipes onto a Pages doc (Apple built-in) and keep them in a folder in Dropbox.  
    Dropbox organizes files in alphabetical order, so I title them so they self-organize, for example:
    Beef, braised, hungarian
    Pasta, tuna & capers

The Dropbox app is in the Play store.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Microsoft OneNote.  I use it for all my recipes and notes...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Thanks guys.  
    Now I need to find out if Android will open a Pages doc, and I'm guessing... not.  :blush:

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I’ve used Evernote for a few years, for all of my notes (cooking and otherwise. Easy to search, and I can easily edit to add changes, pics, tips for myself, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ... tip for your shrimp recipe - roast the shrimp shells until they are lightly pink (takes 5 min or so) before you make your stock.  Really helps the flavor.
    Interesting!  I've never heard of anyone doing that before, but I might try it -- thanks!
  • onpoint456
    Options
    Thanks all, I'm gonna give Evernote a go and see if it does the trick.