Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How many full racks of baby back ribs could you fit in a 24” Kamado without a rib rack? And recipe

Options
Rocksteady
Rocksteady Posts: 10
edited September 2019 in Pork
Maybe it’s not realistic but I have 10 full racks of baby back ribs and I don’t have a grate extender or a rib rack yet.

What method would you use to cook 10 full racks of baby back ribs in a way in which you can serve everything at the same time and it still be good?

Second, is there a great straight forward recipe to get restaurant style fall off the bone ribs with a sweet dark sauce, much like our local restaurants serve.

Thank you!

Comments

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    edited September 2019
    Options
    You might be able to get crafty with a couple rib racks on two different levels. Do you have an additional grill grid or two? 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Have you done the 2-2-1 method before with ribs? Two hours of smoke, two hours in foil, last hour unwrapped and sauced the last 20 minutes or so. If you follow that the for the full amount of time you'll probably end up with fall off the bones rib. You could always foil longer to guarantee fall off the bone ribs. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    home depot rib racks are 10 bucks, buy 2.  i think the record is 2 dozen in a large egg on one level. if sweet baby rays sauce isnt sweet enough for you, add sugar or honey
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Depending on what ribs you are cooking, you could do two batches. I can get a 2.5ish pound rack of baby backs done in about 2 hours cooking around 315. The first batch can rest in a cooler or wrapped in foil in an oven in keep warm. As far as sauce, that would be your preference. I’m not sure what your local places serve, but it could be store bought. You could just ask what sauce they use. I make my own sauces. I feel they are so much better than store bought sauces. To each his own though. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Depending on your timeline, you could smoke 6 or so racks on 2 levels for 2hrs, wrap in foil and then move to the oven for 2ish hrs.

Then smoke the rest in the egg, while the first batch is in the oven. 

When the second batch is done with the smoke phase, unwrap the first batch, sauce ‘em and throw them back on the egg for an hour or less. Do them same with the ones in the oven when they’re ready. 

For that quantity, sous vide ribs would be something to think about. And there’s always the option of buying another XL :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    If you have a v-shaped roasting rack in your kitchen for oven roasting, you can usually flip those over and find that it will hold ribs.  Or use it right side up and drape ribs across and have ribs on the main grid below as well.  
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
  • kl8ton
    kl8ton Posts: 5,429
    Options

I like that idea.  Simple. Minimal cleanup.  You could use sections of an onion or peppers as spacers to try and keep an air gap.  Brilliant! 
    Large, Medium, MiniMax, & 22, and 36" Blackstone
    Grand Rapids MI
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    edited September 2019
    Options
     or potato cubes!
    canuckland
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I have done 9 racks of babyback ribs on the XL with a two level rack. I probably could have added a couple more if necessary. Maybe 12? 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I have always wondered if these were actually good. They appear to be cooked direct so I would think the ribs over the fire were burned to a crisp. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    kl8ton said:

I have always wondered if these were actually good. They appear to be cooked direct so I would think the ribs over the fire were burned to a crisp. 
    I would not try that.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

If you read the link that was posted with the pic, Chef Wil (username apparently = Unknown) describes the cook. He says the ribs were "AWESOME". 

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• NorthPilot06
    Options
    I have to say I’m with @SmokeyPitt a bit skeptical at best!
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options

If you read the link that was posted with the pic, Chef Wil (username apparently = Unknown) describes the cook. He says the ribs were "AWESOME". 
    I guess perhaps I am making an assumption that he was cooking direct. I suppose he could have had something rigged up for indirect that we can't see in the pic. If they were cooked direct I just don't see how they wouldn't have burned. If they were raised up a bit then I could see it, but they are down in the dome so it seems they are pretty close to the fire. Perhaps there was only a small amount of lump burning. I guess I am just saying one would have to do something to mitigate the direct heat. If you just loaded up the egg for a normal cook and slapped in 20 racks I don't see how it could be successful. 

Who knows...I guess after 16 years it will remain a mystery/ egghead lore. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    There was a pic on here recently related to some rib cookoff or something that had a mountain of ribs piled up maybe 12-18” high in a large.  Can’t remember the Eggfest or event.  I don’t think that one got a great reaction.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options

I guess perhaps I am making an assumption that he was cooking direct. I suppose he could have had something rigged up for indirect that we can't see in the pic. If they were cooked direct I just don't see how they wouldn't have burned. If they were raised up a bit then I could see it, but they are down in the dome so it seems they are pretty close to the fire. Perhaps there was only a small amount of lump burning. I guess I am just saying one would have to do something to mitigate the direct heat. If you just loaded up the egg for a normal cook and slapped in 20 racks I don't see how it could be successful. 

Who knows...I guess after 16 years it will remain a mystery/ egghead lore. 
    Nope, the internet is forever! =) I remembered reading a post from Chef Wil where he said it was in fact a direct cook. 

Anyway, I just found the thread, from 2010. Scroll down to the last post...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/819570/how are the ribs sitting so low did he use a plate setter and pull the FR? any help would be great

Doesn't seem like this cook should have worked, but apparently it did.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Dang, I’m disappointed.  I thought this thread was a contest.  Kinda like guessing how many jellybeans are in a jar.
    Flint, Michigan
  • SmokeyPitt
    Options
    @Carolina Q- that is some good Google-fu! Very interesting. I've never tried closing the bottom vent completely with the dome closed.