Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

tomahawk ribeye

Options
I'm going to cook a tomahawk ribeye tomorrow for dinner , I have a large BGE and I have a sous vide. Would I be best off putting that in the sous vide for 3 hours or so then tossing on the 600 degree egg or just cooking it start to finish on the egg?

2 LBGE
Digi Q
green Thermapen
AR

Albuquerque, NM

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    Be sure to post some pics.  You're in for a treat!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    How thick of steak?

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,473
    Options
    How thick of steak?
    It is Friday eve - TWSS =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    As above, I cooked indirect at around 250 to an internal of ~120°, pulled off platesetter, let temp come up to 500° and seared about 1 min per side. Very nice!
  • llrickman
    llrickman Posts: 654
    Options
    its probably 3'' steak. was discounted at Sams 2.5lbs was $19

2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • leemschu
    leemschu Posts: 609
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Reverse sear all the way.
    Dyersburg, TN
  • SmokeyLopey
    Options
    llrickman said:

Sounds about right. Good price! Enjoy!
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Here would be my decision process: If you have complete control of the finish time and you can eat whenever the meat is done I would go with a reverse sear. I think that produces the absolute best product. If you need “wiggle room” at the finish - if you may eat later than your target time (family outing/playing yard games/talking and drinking) then sous vide is the way to go. You can throw it in the sous vide at noon and let it roll until you want to sear it. Either method will give you a fantastic meal that will wow your guests. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Can’t wait to hear how it goes. 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    llrickman said:

I cook these all the time. I do a reverse sear cooking low @~225 which will take 45-60 min. if coming from the fridge, then pull and get coals going for the sear which I do @ high temp flipping every 30 seconds until done to my liking.

BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Reverse sear fan as well..

• llrickman
    Options
    thanks I am looking forward to tomorrows dinner 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • thetrim
    edited August 2019
    Options
    llrickman said:
    thanks I am looking forward to tomorrows dinner 
    So is everyone one on this thread!

:-)
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Agreed haha
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I’m in the caveman for the finish club.  I pull it off the grill when it gets to the 105 range and then toss it down in the fire.  Here are a few picks of the last one.  

XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• SmokeyLopey
    Options
    Not ready to cowboy one yet...I still remember dropping a hotdog in the fire when camping as a child and can't  imagine doing that to an expensive piece of meat! Yours looks good, @ryantt.
  • llrickman
    Options
    Not ready to cowboy one yet...I still remember dropping a hotdog in the fire when camping as a child and can't  imagine doing that to an expensive piece of meat! Yours looks good, @ryantt.
    I love doing caveman. not sure how the wife would feel about it. Guess I just won't tell her lol
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • llrickman
    Options
    ryantt said:
    I’m in the caveman for the finish club.  I pull it off the grill when it gets to the 105 range and then toss it down in the fire.  Here are a few picks of the last one.  

is SNR all its cracked up to be?  never had the chance yet to order any 
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • thetrim
    Options
    Standing by.  I literally just logged in to see if you had an update.

Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    @llrickman it’s really good stuff, I think it’s worth it for special occasions.  Love their briskets
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    llrickman said:
    I love doing caveman. not sure how the wife would feel about it. Guess I just won't tell her lol
    Bingo!
  • KamadoTom
    Options
    Did this cook happen yet!?!?! We had hot dogs for dinner, my tastebuds need to eat vicariously tonight!!
    BGE XL, KJ Classic, Weber Performer Copper, 36" Blackstone Pro Series, Weber Genesis Copper, Traeger Pro 22
  • llrickman
    edited August 2019
    Options
    KamadoTom said:
    Did this cook happen yet!?!?! We had hot dogs for dinner, my tastebuds need to eat vicariously tonight!!
    been a long day. Just lit the egg about 15 min ago. 6pm here in Albuquerque
    2 LBGE
    Digi Q
    green Thermapen
    AR

Albuquerque, NM
  • KamadoTom
    Options

• thetrim
    Options
    Nice work!  The happy paddle looks pretty good from my end!
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Reverse sear then toss it on the coals!

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    There are some killer looking steaks in this thread. Nice job @llrickman
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • llrickman
    Options
    Matt86m said:
    Reverse sear then toss it on the coals!

exactly what I did