Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Rec Tec Pellet Smoker

Still in the "looking" phase, but I really like what I am seeing with the rec-tec smokers.  I see from the search function, several on this group have bought them - @SPRIGS , @oldmandawg , @mkc , @Big_Green_Craig

My concern is the lack of smoke flavor I hear on other forums, as compared to other traditional smokers.  I really enjoy the smoke flavor the egg gives to the meat.

For those that have both - what say you?  I really like the space and convenience of the rec-tec's, the customer service sounds like they are AMAZING, but just wanted to hear from folks who have both....

Comments

• GoooDawgsGoooDawgs Posts: 1,001
    I got a pellet smoker a couple weeks ago and had planned a brisket and butt cook for this past weekend.  When the time came, I couldn't bring myself to put my brisket on the pellet grill and the BGE got the call.  I felt like I was cheating on my first love, so brisket and butts went to the ol' faithful egg.  The pellet grill was regulated to keeping side dishes that the neighbors brought warm. ;) 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • mahenryakmahenryak Posts: 1,316
    Hello.  The Savannah controller on my Smokin Brothers grill allows me to program a smoke phase temp of 160-180, with a reduced fan speed, in an attempt to try and address  the issue of lack of smoke.  I find that it works fairly well.  For example, with ribs I typically go with 180 for about 1.5 hours, or so, before ramping up to 270.  I've posted a link to a ribs cook I did a while back if you're curious. I have a plated picture in there which shows a little bit of a smoke ring on them.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1218744/ot-ot-costco-st-louis-style-ribs#latest

I'm guessing Rec Tec has a similar feature but don't know for sure.  Some just have a 'smoke' setting that you can dial up for this purpose.   If not, there are always after-market controllers available, including the Savannah.

Good luck with your decision.  
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore