Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burner for the side

Options
Powak
Powak Posts: 1,391
edited August 2019 in EggHead Forum
Hey what’s a good reliable single propane burner I can throw on a stand beside the egg for sautéing, heating up beans etc? I know a minimax or small would be even more optimal but I’m saving for one of those hehehehe.

Comments

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    I'll second the small portable butane cartridge burner that @SciAggie mentions. Everybody should have one (or more). They're also great to use at the table to keep things warm/melty.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    Options
    I use one like the second link above, not sure of the brand though. Works great and gets real hot fast. I use it for our percolator when camping as well. Much easier to carry around then the bigger burners like the first link. I have one of those as well I use for frying outdoors.
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I bought an 1100W, rheostat controlled single burner hot plate. About 2 years ago and I think I've used it once. I assume it would be more than suitable for the purposes you mentioned. If not, toss it and try something else. It costs $12. You do need an outlet, but you'll never run out of fuel. Well, until the apocalypse. =)

Or buy a double burner model if you need more.

BTW, I'm not endorsing this item except to say it showed up on time and it got hot when I turned it on. I really have used it just once (maybe twice) since June 2017!

https://www.amazon.com/GAU-80305-Electric-Single-Burner-1100-Watts/dp/B005T0SN0K/ref=sr_1_18?crid=362X81XFENKTZ&keywords=electric+hot+plate+single+burner&qid=1564948693&s=gateway&sprefix=electric+hot+plate,aps,146&sr=8-18

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• FarmingPhD
    FarmingPhD Posts: 839
    Options
    I bought this one a few weeks ago.  Use it to do fries in a DO on the deck and for fast boiling like sweet corn.  Ordered a 200k btu version originally and the burner diameter was bigger than my DO, just a little overkill.  This thing puts out good heat and really like the stand height.  Should have ordered it with the cover as I now have the cover in my amazon shopping cart.

https://www.amazon.com/GasOne-Portable-Pressure-Regulator-Adjustable/dp/B074GXFLX5
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    If you don't care about the dual fuel option, butane burners should be about $15-20 at Asian supermarkets. The butane canisters are also way cheaper there vs. Amazon, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    ...and it is a piece of art.  I have some cheapo burners and they work just as well, but this is superior in even heat and adjustable for woks, large and small pans.  only downside is price and you need an allen key to adjust the tri-mount rails.
    Options
    +1 on the Edelmetal, bought mine for brewing but use it for a lot more.

• Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,518
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I splurged a bit and bought this edelmetal burner.  Has held up well....should last a lifetime.  copper, stainless and CI 
    I hate you! Pleasantly surprised that price on amazon.com is USD150, amazon.ca is CAD200, i.e. same as opposed to 2x or 3x here. Shouldn't complain/compare though, there are other things that we get cheaper or free  ;)

Edit: damn, even more tempting now! it's on promotion CAD115, leg extensions CAD20..
    https://northernbrewer.ca/collections/equipment/products/edelmetall-bru-burner
    https://northernbrewer.ca/collections/equipment/products/edelmetall-burner-leg-extensions

Tired of the crappy one I have that gets too hot or flame out when I try choking down.
    canuckland
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    I splurged a bit and bought this edelmetal burner.  Has held up well....should last a lifetime.  copper, stainless and CI
    I have a friend that owns one of those. They are excellent burners for sure. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    If you want gas and portability, the Edelmetall is tough to beat. It is ideal for stir fry and using a wok. If you want a temp controlled burner and have power suggest you look at an induction HOB. For things like side dishes, set the temp at 160ºF or whatever and forget it. Cast iron, including DOs work fine, other cookware must be magnetic. Noticed at a number of competitions the chilli guys are using induction HOBs, much more precise than watching a flame. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I hate you! Pleasantly surprised that price on amazon.com is USD150, amazon.ca is CAD200, i.e. same as opposed to 2x or 3x here. Shouldn't complain/compare though, there are other things that we get cheaper or free  ;)

Edit: damn, even more tempting now! it's on promotion CAD115, leg extensions CAD20..
    https://northernbrewer.ca/collections/equipment/products/edelmetall-bru-burner
    https://northernbrewer.ca/collections/equipment/products/edelmetall-burner-leg-extensions

Tired of the crappy one I have that gets too hot or flame out when I try choking down.
    No choice but to buy it now!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Canugghead
    Options
    @Photo Egg  what's even more interesting is northernbrewer.com (.ca's parent company in US) are selling them at USD150 and USD49 respectively.
    canuckland
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    ive been using a cabelas turkey fryer/smoker burner for about 30 years now, pretty much indestructible, its mostly used for steaming lobsters now 20 at a time.  it you go the turker fryer burner route try and find one that the pots sit flat on top without the ring that wraps the pot, it fits more options
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Done.  Will either blame or thank @nolaegghead and @Photo Egg, we shall see!

Apology to OP for thread jacking.
    canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Options

Great Buy!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • nolaegghead
    Options

Why not?  I get blamed for everything else. 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Options
    Just unboxed, it's a thing of beauty. Turned out the freight forwarder's warehouse is almost 'in my backyard', could have saved $hipping and picked it up sooner but they wouldn't let me.

canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    ... find one that the pots sit flat on top without the ring that wraps the pot, it fits more options
    You raised a good point, I thought I could live with the wrap-around restriction shown in Nola's photo since I'll be using it for wokking mostly. 

Pleasantly surprised that the multi-way support arms are removable, adjustable and reversible. The load capacity is 300 lbs.

canuckland
  • BugFreak72
    BugFreak72 Posts: 246
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Wow that thing is pretty. I've been looking for a good wok burner.  What size wok are you using and how does it fit on there? Does the wok sit low on the burner?
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Home brew store didn’t have the legs when I bought mine years ago, looks like I need to spend some cash and complete my setup!  
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Wow that thing is pretty. I've been looking for a good wok burner.  What size wok are you using and how does it fit on there? Does the wok sit low on the burner?
    I went out in the dark and tried 3 woks for fit, all with adjustable arms in the same position...

12" IKEA carbon steel with large flat bottom

14.25" TFAL with small flat bottom

16" hand hammered carbon steel round bottom

I used the 12" one earlier in the day and it was sturdy. 

Early thoughts:

Above setup is too powerful for prolonged frying with wok, even at lowest flame the oil was smoking near the end. Hopefully pushing the arms in to elevate the wok will help reduce heat but that could compromise the stability.

I have no doubt it'll be great for wokking, boiling, canning, etc. when you want that intense heat.
    canuckland
  • Canugghead
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Home brew store didn’t have the legs when I bought mine years ago, looks like I need to spend some cash and complete my setup!  
    The legs elevate the burner to a comfortable working height. Lucked out and paid just 20 loonies!
    canuckland
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    Mine sat out in the sun and rain for about a year and it still looks great.   BTUs is not a problem.  It was made to boil giant pots of wort.  I have a 10 psi regulator on mine.   If you get too much heat, and lowering the pressure doesn't work for you, you might need one of those banjo burners you can pick up on Amazon for $35.
    Options
    That's a pretty cool burner. When I was looking for one, it was between that one and the Blichmann. I went with the Blichmann. Still need to get the legs for mine. Hope it works out for ya. Looks like a solid piece.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    I went out in the dark and tried 3 woks for fit, all with adjustable arms in the same position...

12" IKEA carbon steel with large flat bottom

14.25" TFAL with small flat bottom

16" hand hammered carbon steel round bottom

I used the 12" one earlier in the day and it was sturdy. 

Early thoughts:

Above setup is too powerful for prolonged frying with wok, even at lowest flame the oil was smoking near the end. Hopefully pushing the arms in to elevate the wok will help reduce heat but that could compromise the stability.

I have no doubt it'll be great for wokking, boiling, canning, etc. when you want that intense heat.
    if you need to tone the heat down get a plate to set on the center of the burner to block some of the flame
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Canugghead
    edited August 2019
    Options
     @nolaegghead , mine came with 10psi regulator too. Just realised I had it on full blast and was trying to reduce heat by tweaking the needle valve control only. By 'lowering pressure' you mean this is a variable pressure regulator and I can try choking it down too? sorry for the dumba** question  :)  . Is this kind of like controlling the egg with upper vs. lower vent? lol

@fishlessman , will try that if all else fails, thanks

@Griffin , never researched Blichmann or any other brands, just jumped right in as soon as I saw nola's photo! This thing is a beauty and a beast.
    edit: next thing you know, I may get into wine and beer brewing.  It's like I never tasted pulled pork, let alone cooking it, until I got my first egg  :)

canuckland
  • Photo Egg
    Options
    Just unboxed, it's a thing of beauty. Turned out the freight forwarder's warehouse is almost 'in my backyard', could have saved $hipping and picked it up sooner but they wouldn't let me.

For the sale price you got, it was a no brained!
    Good for you
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pzenfel
    pzenfel Posts: 2
    Options
    Griffin said:
    That's a pretty cool burner. When I was looking for one, it was between that one and the Blichmann. I went with the Blichmann. Still need to get the legs for mine. Hope it works out for ya. Looks like a solid piece.
    I have an extra set of legs if you are interested?