Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Burner for the side

Options
2»

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
     @nolaegghead , mine came with 10psi regulator too. Just realised I had it on full blast and was trying to reduce heat by tweaking the needle valve control only. By 'lowering pressure' you mean this is a variable pressure regulator and I can try choking it down too? sorry for the dumba** question  :)  . Is this kind of like controlling the egg with upper vs. lower vent? lol

@fishlessman , will try that if all else fails, thanks

@Griffin , never researched Blichmann or any other brands, just jumped right in as soon as I saw nola's photo! This thing is a beauty and a beast.
    edit: next thing you know, I may get into wine and beer brewing.  It's like I never tasted pulled pork, let alone cooking it, until I got my first egg  :)

Well, you talked me into one. Now I just need to find a deal on the leg set.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited August 2019
    Options
    I noticed a camp chef 3 burner at Costco for $99. May be overkill but seems like a great price. I think this model was only made for Costco but looks comparable to much more expensive units. 

https://www.campchef.com/camp-chef-tundra-3-burner-stove.html

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457
    Options
    Wow that thing is pretty. I've been looking for a good wok burner.  What size wok are you using and how does it fit on there? Does the wok sit low on the burner?
    I went out in the dark and tried 3 woks for fit, all with adjustable arms in the same position...

12" IKEA carbon steel with large flat bottom

14.25" TFAL with small flat bottom

16" hand hammered carbon steel round bottom

I used the 12" one earlier in the day and it was sturdy. 

Early thoughts:

Above setup is too powerful for prolonged frying with wok, even at lowest flame the oil was smoking near the end. Hopefully pushing the arms in to elevate the wok will help reduce heat but that could compromise the stability.

I have no doubt it'll be great for wokking, boiling, canning, etc. when you want that intense heat.
    @Canugghead - did you get dialed in for stir fries?  I’ve been looking at burners and keep coming back to this one? 

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • speed51133
    Options
    I always thought side burners were silly. Unless you stock your outdoor kitchen with glasses, flatware, utensils,e and have dish washing outside, you still need to go back and forth inside the house. May as well just cook sides indoors. 
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,537
    Options
    @Mattman3969 tbh we used it for stir fry just couple of times, swmbo prefers working inside. It's plenty of heat for sure. I recommend using wok with single long handle (preferably metal) vs. Double loop handles... keeps your hand away from the heat, plus easier to swirl and flip the food for showmanship  ;)
    canuckland