Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

O.T. TX Peach Harvest

Options
smbishop
smbishop Posts: 3,053
Our peach tree exploded with fruit this year, so we decided to learn how to can.  It was a fun family affair (my wife did most of it).   39 jars of peaches, including: sliced in sugar syrup, chutney, and brandied. The last 22 peaches bagged for freezing.  I am looking forward to learning new recipes with peaches...

Thanks for looking!
Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    What a great harvest, and even better turning it into a family affair.. Great post.
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    That's awesome. If you need some quality control tasting, you can send some of those ones with brandy my way. ;)

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    That looks so good.  I love peaches.

Throw some of those on the grill.
    NOLA
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Congratulations on your harvest!!!  Your family will no doubt find many ways to enjoy those beautiful peaches in the months ahead.
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • smbishop
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Congratulations on your harvest!!!  Your family will no doubt find many ways to enjoy those beautiful peaches in the months ahead.
    @EggObsessed Maybe grilled with "It's My Rub"!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    Our peach tree exploded with fruit this year, so we decided to learn how to can.  It was a fun family affair (my wife did most of it).   39 jars of peaches, including: sliced in sugar syrup, chutney, and brandied. The last 22 peaches bagged for freezing.  I am looking forward to learning new recipes with peaches...

Thanks for looking!
    Beautiful looking peaches! Love this time of year it’s been a good Harvest in Fredericksburg this year too. We are loaded up. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • smbishop
    Options

Beautiful looking peaches! Love this time of year it’s been a good Harvest in Fredericksburg this year too. We are loaded up. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker How was your harvest last year?  We had zero.  Not sure what happened this year, if it was the rain or something we did differently...
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:

@The Cen-Tex Smoker How was your harvest last year?  We had zero.  Not sure what happened this year, if it was the rain or something we did differently...
    We don’t have trees but we go to Fredericksburg to grab them. Our neighbors tree had so many peaches they cut it down because it was too much work   :)
  • smbishop
    Options

We don’t have trees but we go to Fredericksburg to grab them. Our neighbors tree had so many peaches they cut it down because it was too much work   :)
    Hope they saved the wood for smoking!
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095
    Options
    Tell me about the ones I see that you vacuum sealed in bags...? 
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • smbishop
    Options
    @CPARKTX We were tired of peeling!  We have several books on canning, and one option was to wash them whole and freeze.  Learning this time around.  We will see how they turn out!
  • buzd504
    Options
    I saw on TV that a good trick is to drop them in boiling water for a minute or so (90 seconds works a little better) and then into an ice bath.  It makes them much easier to peel.

I've tried it and it works.
    NOLA
  • smbishop
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    I saw on TV that a good trick is to drop them in boiling water for a minute or so (90 seconds works a little better) and then into an ice bath.  It makes them much easier to peel.

I've tried it and it works.
    Exactly what we did for the 39 jars.  We were just done!  Than you for sharing!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    smbishop said:
    @CPARKTX We were tired of peeling!  We have several books on canning, and one option was to wash them whole and freeze.  Learning this time around.  We will see how they turn out!
    We have been doing this for years. They freeze very well. We always buy a ton in season and slice, vac seal, and freeze.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Go for greatness with those. Warm Peach cobbler (with a little peach smokin wood)........ with a big @ss scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is about as good as it gets. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smbishop
    Options
    Go for greatness with those. Warm Peach cobbler (with a little peach smokin wood)........ with a big @ss scoop of vanilla bean ice cream is about as good as it gets. 
    Definitely!!!  
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    Robin how many points would that be... LOL..
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Great post. The peaches ARE amazing this year. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • smbishop
    Options
    SciAggie said:
    Great post. The peaches ARE amazing this year. 
    Thank you!
  • marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Looks like you had plenty of peaches to pick their partner, bet you're proud!
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Robin how many points would that be... LOL..
    Well that surprisingly is only 16 points. Portion size is 1/2 cup of each. Half my daily allowance right now. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    What a bountiful harvest.  Very nice.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • StillH2OEgger
    StillH2OEgger Posts: 3,748
    Options
    Very impressive!
    Stillwater, MN
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Wait.  Peaches grow in Texas?
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited August 2019
    Options
    Hub said:
    Alton Brown made a joke about peaches from Utard, but we have excellent peaches just north of me (20 minute drive to Nirvana!)

Peach Salsa:
    diced peaches
    diced red onion
    minced jalapeno
    minced cilantro
    a bit of salt
    Excellent on just about anything (not chocolate ice cream)

Grilled Peaches:
    Halve peaches, grill face down a few minutes,
    Tip upright, fill pit with spiced rum and sprinkle with brown or turbinado sugar,
    Grill until soft, a few more minutes,
    Toss in a bowl, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, sprig of mint, Enjoy!  

EDIT:  I've never worked with brandied peaches, but a gratis jar would send me on an intense round of experimentation, hint.   =)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Oh yeah, peach salsa with the shrimp tacos was really tasty. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • buzd504
    Options
    Botch said:
    Hub said:

Grilled Peaches:
    Halve peaches, grill face down a few minutes,
    Tip upright, fill pit with spiced rum and sprinkle with brown or turbinado sugar,
    Grill until soft, a few more minutes,
    Toss in a bowl, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, sprig of mint, Enjoy!  

DP Pineapple Head works equally well, or just sprinkle a little cayenne with your sugar of choice.  Gives a nice little zing.
    NOLA