Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

cool way to raise the grid

saw this guy on Facepalm today. Kind of pricey for what they are but cheaper than a woo or AR setup if you are just looking to raise the grid

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX

Comments

• lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 20,228
    edited July 26
    Sorry but inexpensive for me is a family staple-aluminum canned beers.  Pound 3 and don't recycle-raised grid is good to go.  Just balance well or get another grid.  FWIW   =)
    Edit:  I don't do faceplant. 
    Louisville;  "indeterminate Jim" here; L & S BGEs, PBC, Lang 36; Burnin' wood in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer.  
  • bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 19,726
    What the he’ll is facepalm?  Is it akin to palmtime?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • mEGG_My_DaymEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,419
    bgebrent said:
    It’s more like snapgram I think.  

Oh - and get some cheap firebricks and another grid 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet, (Akron was gifted to a friend)
  • RRPRRP Posts: 22,961
    I didn't check the price, but that idea/solution had been around the original BGE forum for many years. I had made a bunch of them years ago using cheap hollow aluminum stock and gave away many sets. No power tools needed to make, but if you have a band saw aluminum cuts like a hot knife through butter!
    L, M, S &  Mini
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time

Ron
    Dunlap, IL
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 19,514
    RRP said:
    I didn't check the price, but that idea/solution had been around the original BGE forum for many years. I had made a bunch of them years ago using cheap hollow aluminum stock and gave away many sets. No power tools needed to make, but if you have a band saw aluminum cuts like a hot knife through butter!
    I think he was asking $45. 
  • dmouratidmourati Posts: 587
    The A in AR is for Adjustable. Not really a fair comparison IMO.
    Mountain View, CA
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,322
    RRP said:
    The PSWoo for a large  is $34 now. I was surprised...I thought it was much more than that. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/large-pswoo-bge-expander

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 10,322
    Of course, I added added the extender and sliding grid to make it a cool hundo.

buysh!t..... how I do it. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 19,514
    RRP said:
    The PSWoo for a large  is $34 now. I was surprised...I thought it was much more than that. 

https://ceramicgrillstore.com/products/large-pswoo-bge-expander

Wow! I thought it was way more too. this is not even an option compared to that. 
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 6,790
    edited July 27
    My overdue project, thanks for the reminder...

canuckland
  • milesvdustinmilesvdustin Posts: 2,450
    bgebrent said:
    Palmtime is what you do when nobody else is around 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Bear 007Bear 007 Posts: 375
    RRP said:
    I had made a bunch of them years ago using cheap hollow aluminum stock and gave away many sets.
    I figured I'd give it a shot, kinda sick of dropping my firebricks into the egg, I always intended to pick up woos for the small and medium but this will do.

• SmokeyLopeySmokeyLopey Posts: 289
    I've been thinking of raising the grate, but am not sure I'm good enough with the spatula to not push a burger over the side!
  • pescadorzihpescadorzih Posts: 924
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker , thanks for posting this. I just made a set for my minimax.
    SE PA
    XL, Lg, Mini max and OKJ offset
  • Fred19FlintstoneFred19Flintstone Posts: 7,934
    lousubcap said:
    Sorry but inexpensive for me is a family staple-aluminum canned beers.  Pound 3 and don't recycle-raised grid is good to go.  Just balance well or get another grid.  FWIW   =)
    Edit:  I don't do faceplant. 
    Here in Michigan, this is an expensive solution.  Three beer cans would cost 30 cents.  Quit spending my money!
    Flint, Michigan
    edited August 13
    Mission accomplished. Fits nice and sturdy on XL but too snug on Large due to thick gauge and wide straight side of scrap tube and limited play around the fire ring, don't want to force it.  Narrowing the leg may help though.

canuckland
  • cookingdude555cookingdude555 Posts: 2,444
    Pretty cool. Reminds me of these I bought about ten years ago for my small egg:

http://www.nakedwhiz.com/productreviews/gratemates/gratemates.htm

i think think they are pretty rusted up somewhere in a shed now. 

John - SLC, UT

Several eggs ..

• 500500 Posts: 2,854

What are you doing there inside the firebox?  
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Kent8621Kent8621 Posts: 790
    i like that idea for cooking at eggfest and things.  i have the AR at home but these would be much easier to transport around.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

edited August 14
    Kent8621 said:
    i like that idea for cooking at eggfest and things.  i have the AR at home but these would be much easier to transport around.
    1/3s split works well for XL, IMO 50/50 works better for L due to its much smaller firebox and lump grate.

edit: never mind, just realized you were referring to raised grid 😊
    canuckland
  • Mission accomplished. Fits nice and sturdy on XL but too snug on Large due to thick gauge and wide straight side of scrap tube and limited play around the fire ring, don't want to force it.  Narrowing the leg may help though.

Make sure those don’t have a galvanized surface treatment.  That stuff is bad for you when exposed to fire (zink poisoning).

Land of OZ-Hays Kansas

BGE XL++Flameboss 300 WiFi++Blackstone 36"++2 Weber Kettles

edited August 14
    @littlerascal56 appreciate the heads up. There have been many debates here over the years re galvanised carriage bolts/nuts used for grate elevation. Wish there's a definitive answer. Where is stike  :s
    canuckland