Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

cover for XL

Options
Can anybody recommend a replacement for my XL cover that I am about to set afire in anger for being of incredibly poor quality, overly stiff, and prone to fly off in moderate winds? I can't believe how much I spent on this garbage. Searched the archives, but all the threads for XL covers were very old

Comments

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    I have the factory BGE cover for my XL. Bought it from my dealer. My XL is in a nest, never had an issue with it having any of the problems you’ve mentioned 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    Depending on where you live, the cover may be doing more harm than good. In GA, they just trap humidity and are havens for wasp nests. After my last wasp incident, I’ll never own another cover. 
  • PeteG
    PeteG Posts: 14
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    I have the factory BGE cover for my XL. Bought it from my dealer. My XL is in a nest, never had an issue with it having any of the problems you’ve mentioned 
    Thanks, Colby. I don't know what would make our covers any different. Mine is so stiff that it will stand up on its own, and that makes it pretty difficult to put on the egg, especially when it gets wrinkled up by being blown off and sailing through my yard. Also, after one season of gentle use it had holes worn in it from the supports for the EggMate shelves. Does your cover get exposed to heavy weather? Maybe that's the difference?
  • PeteG
    Options
    Depending on where you live, the cover may be doing more harm than good. In GA, they just trap humidity and are havens for wasp nests. After my last wasp incident, I’ll never own another cover. 
    No problem with wasp nests so far, and I use my egg enough [even in our crazy Chicago winters!] that moisture doesn't get a chance to accumulate for too long. Thanks!
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Have you tried it without a cover? I bought one and probably used it half a dozen times. Takes so long for the egg to cool down, I forget to use the cover.

The only thing I cover is my Blackstone. Not sure it needs it as it's stainless and well seasoned steel. The egg definitely doesn't need a cover. Mine is 10 years old and as I said, almost never covered. Sometimes, I don't even close the lid! :rofl:

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• PeteG
    Options
    Have you tried it without a cover? I bought one and probably used it half a dozen times. Takes so long for the egg to cool down, I forget to use the cover.

The only thing I cover is my Blackstone. Not sure it needs it as it's stainless and well seasoned steel. The egg definitely doesn't need a cover. Mine is 10 years old and as I said, almost never covered. Sometimes, I don't even close the lid! :rofl:

A cover is a must here in Chicago where road salts permeate the air in the winter. If I  didn't keep it covered all the metal parts would corrode.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,192
    Options
    PeteG said:

A cover is a must here in Chicago where road salts permeate the air in the winter. If I  didn't keep it covered all the metal parts would corrode.
    I’d take the bands off and hit them with some Rust Reformer. They’ll never rust. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    PeteG said:

I’d take the bands off and hit them with some Rust Reformer. They’ll never rust. 
    Or POR-15. I suspect that's the same thing, just more expensive. 

I'm in Connecticut and while it doesn't get as cold as Chicago, we usually have plenty of snow. And they do treat the roads (sand/salt). The only sign of egg rust is the hardware that holds my egg mates. Oh, and the springs a little. After 10 years.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I have this for my XL and it has held up better than the BGE cover I used years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4J5DVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    In a nest, table?  How is your egg configured?  I buy the gas grill covers at Costco, they are $29 and really good quality.  I have multiple eggs, so I put 2-3 eggs under them at a time.  When covered, it just looks like a gas grill is under it.  I have a large egg next to a 4 foot stainless table and the cover fits over the large in the nest and the table at the same time.
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    When my egg was in a wood table, I kept it covered to protect the wood.  Eventually it rotted at the "ankles" (where the casters were attached) - the only part that was still exposed to the weather.

I got a stainless table after that and haven't covered it since.
    NOLA
  • PeteG
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    I have this for my XL and it has held up better than the BGE cover I used years ago.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00R4J5DVG/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thank you, Photo Egg. This is a possible solution. I do wish it were full-length, though.
  • PeteG
    Options
    In a nest, table?  How is your egg configured?  I buy the gas grill covers at Costco, they are $29 and really good quality.  I have multiple eggs, so I put 2-3 eggs under them at a time.  When covered, it just looks like a gas grill is under it.  I have a large egg next to a 4 foot stainless table and the cover fits over the large in the nest and the table at the same time.
    XL in a nest, so a gas grill cover wouldn't be the correct shape. Thanks!
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,436
    Options
    PeteG said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Thanks, Colby. I don't know what would make our covers any different. Mine is so stiff that it will stand up on its own, and that makes it pretty difficult to put on the egg, especially when it gets wrinkled up by being blown off and sailing through my yard. Also, after one season of gentle use it had holes worn in it from the supports for the EggMate shelves. Does your cover get exposed to heavy weather? Maybe that's the difference?
    No, mine lives under a covered patio. It’s 20’ minimum from roof line when stored
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Spiders here in So Cal, the cover becomes an all inclusive resort for them.  I have a nice thick cover with a felt liner that my wife bought from the dealer I got my egg at years ago (they have them made locally).  It was great while we lived at the beach to prevent the bands and side table hardware from rusting but once we moved to the foothills it just became a spider haven.  No more need for a cover where I am at now, guess it just depends on location. 
  • ceramic_cooker
    Options
    I have one from covermate.com that is specifically made for the XL. It is 7-8 years old and still looks like new.
  • MO_Eggin
    MO_Eggin Posts: 282
    Options
    Check out the cover store (https://www.the-cover-store.com/grill-covers/shop-by-grill-brand/big-green-egg-grill-covers).  I have 3 from them - 1 large in nest, 1 large on table and one MM on table (which is the same size as the L on table).  They have a strap / buckle on the bottom (2 on full size, 1 on dome cover) to secure to the nest or handle; we can get a lot of wind in CO and I haven't had a problem with the cover remaining secure.  
    LBGE - St. Louis, MO; MM & LBGE - around 8100' somewhere in the CO Front Range
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    I’m still using my original green colored BGE cover idk how old? 15 years or so. Pretty good imo. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    I’m still using my original green colored BGE cover idk how old? 15 years or so. Pretty good imo. 
    The issue with saying "BGE Cover" is you have no idea what that cover is. How many different BGE covers for the large has BGE put their name on in the last 15 years? I have seen some really nice models and some really thin, poorly made covers. 
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Photo Egg said:
    The issue with saying "BGE Cover" is you have no idea what that cover is. How many different BGE covers for the large has BGE put their name on in the last 15 years? I have seen some really nice models and some really thin, poorly made covers. 
    I’d say a few. I’ve never seen a real poorly made model. There were some 10 years ago (guess) that were lighter weight. I think that run was short lived though. Mine is the old laminated vinyl type. Lots of people used to gripe about them. Pretty darn heavy duty. The newer ones are more of a nylon type which is pretty common in the industry. I see a fair amount of covers in the industry and the BGE ones are in the top
    tier for sure. You're never going to please everyone. Too many differing opinions on what is “good”. 
    The OP complains about the cover being too stiff. Many would say that’s a great indicator of a heavy duty cover. IDK? He’s obviously not happy with it and will get something else. I wish him all the best in finding it.