Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What to Cook in a Heat Wave?

Options
“We’re having a heat wave!  A tropical heat wave”
Perhaps our brothers south of the Mason-Dixon Line, who are used to oppressive heat, can suggest some cooks for this weekend?  I’m sure your  Yankee brothers would be interested in your sage advice.
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,571
    Options

Watermelon feta mint salad sounds good, saw on f/b
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options

How about some Grilled lemonade?  Posted by grillingmontana on Instagram:

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • steel_egg
    steel_egg Posts: 295
    Options
    Baby back ribs are just about done. Hated going outside today. Kids are running around like idiots in this crap. No thanks. 
    Still would rather have this than snow. I just wish I could talk the wife in to moving south. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Chili, a nice batch of steaming hot chili.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    Never understood that mindset. If I'm in the mood for a hot bowl of soup or maybe some chili or beef stew, that's what I'm gonna cook. That said, it's only 80° at the moment. Haven't even had my AC on yet this year. I have used a fan though.

Supposed to be 100° for the next coupla days, with a heat index of 105-110°. Not familiar with heat index. Is that like windchill in reverse? Monday, back to mid 80s. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    Time to brush up on your In The Style of Dixie cooking skillz. 
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    Throw a couple of butts on in the evening and time them to finish before the sun is up too long. FTC the butts, then HAC (House AC) for you. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Making hot wings right now- weather has been brutal this week.  
    Greensboro, NC
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    Ceviche
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    We deal with it all the time. Just cook baby.  
  • mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324
    edited July 2019
    Options
    It has actually been a warm summer up here, as well.  We had two solid weeks of 80's and even a few days into the 90's (very warm, for us).  It's 80 now.  We don't have air conditioning, like most folks in Alaska.  I have been cooking quite a bit outside, even more than usual--pork butts, ribs, chicken parts and pizza.  Oh, hot dogs and hamburgers, too.  I even tried a crust-less quiche in my new pizza oven.  That was a bit of a learning experience.  The good thing up here is that at least it cools down at night.  The bad news is that 'night' is pretty short.  Long days (19 plus hours).
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    With 5 grills 30 feet from my pool, summer grilling and pool time go hand in hand.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,822
    Options
    I'll risk the earthquakes. Hasn't been over 75 here in two weeks. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    @Carolina Q  - I'm with you. Da-n the torpedoes, full speed ahead. All this index/ wind-chill is just a way for the weather guessers (remember they minored in drama) to get more dramatic numbers to drama about.  Yes, you have to be respectful of the effects on the body...  Wind chill got traction in the mid 1970's and the heat index in the late seventies.  He!!, we had been to the moon and back by then.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I usually avoid the heavy proteins (ribs, pork Butt’s etc) and move to things like shrimp, scallops, crab meat, chicken. They sit a little lighter for me at least. I like eggplant Parmesan, the fresh summer vegetables, on kabobs for example. Salads like chicken and shrimp salad over a quartered tomato. 

Then again, you can’t beat a good cheese burger any time of year.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Tomorrow I'll rise at 0600 (woohoo, Saturday!) and lovingly wax my Egg.
    Take a shower, then when they open, hit To-Na for this:

But, I kinda agree w/ @Carolina Q, it's what's you're hungry for.  Today for lunch I had a steaming hot bowl of phò at Kim Long's, and it was perfect!  (it helped that the office thermostat seemed to be stuck on 66º this morning...)

EDIT:  Local tomatoes should be hitting my farmer's market any weekend now, and my #1 dish during the hot months is ice-cold gazpacho!  It doesn't involve Egging, but I guess I could blacken a couple of the tomatoes, and a couple grilled sausages go with gazpacho most excellently!  :triumph:

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @Carolina Q  - I'm with you. Da-n the torpedoes, full speed ahead. All this index/ wind-chill is just a way for the weather guessers (remember they minored in drama) to get more dramatic numbers to drama about.  
    Minored? LOL

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Tacos is the correct answer. And cold adult beverages...
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options

99 today, cooked burgers in my own special way. 102 by Tuesday. Its a dry utah desert heat,  but it’s still really hot to me. Got a mini split in my master bedroom this week, so luckily the forecast in there is about 67 degrees. My point is cook anything outside, but crank the AC, and eat inside. :)
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Wilma works Sunday nights and has to go in three hours early on Sunday.  So I decided to cook a mess of chicken drums & thighs today so that there’s tasty leftovers on Sunday.  We just had the AC fixed and I’m well stocked on ice cold beer so no worries.
    Flint, Michigan
  • FSUMark
    FSUMark Posts: 35
    Options
    91 with a heat index of 99 right now. Got a 10lb pork butt on that will be ready to take off around 6pm. Currently inside at 73 with a Basil Hayden on the rocks. 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Game on!

Flint, Michigan
  • abtaylor260
    abtaylor260 Posts: 242
    Options
    I was gonna make a joke but found this 🤷‍♂️

How to Smoke Ice for a Cocktail:
    1. Add water or fruit juice to a large and shallow baking sheet.
    2. Set temperature to smoke and preheat with the lid closed for 10-15 minutes.
    3. Smoke liquid for about an hour.
    4. Pour smoked liquid on ice cube trays and freeze.
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I’m torn between curiosity of adding a smokey flavor to a beverage and diluting the spirits.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Gmnorris74
    Gmnorris74 Posts: 23
    Options
    Two kinds of stuffed burgers, cheddar bacon and jalapeño jack, couple of ears of corn, and the wife fixed up some basil garlic green beans. Wash it all down with a few loose cannons. Good evening for sure.
    LBGE 2019, North Carolina
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    Options
    7 miles south of Mason Dixon, 7:38 in the evening, “Feels like 104”.  Tito’s and club soda on ice.  Gonna T-Rex a sirloin roast and doing a zucchini “lasagna” in my cast iron pizza dish.   
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options
    ANTAND11 said:
    New to the forum. Decided to make a couple racks and jalapeño poppers in 110 humidity today.
    Welcome aboard. Nice looking meal right there! Great job.
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL