Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

My take on Pork Steaks

Options
Greetings-

In honor of our National Party & the continuing Stanley Cup celebration I did pork steaks & corn. Rubbed with Bad Byron's Butt Rub on one side. Steak are about 1" thick with slices in the fat to avoid curling.

Egg was set up at 300° indirect with platesetter legs up. Started seasoning side up for 1 hr, flipped to seasoning side down for 30 min, then flipped once more & coated with Maull's BBQ sauce, another STL tradition. Corn was placed at the edges of the grill grate to get more of a direct cook for about 30 min. Pulled them off at about 160° internal (I know a little high but remember the continuing Cup celebration? It took precedent for a few minutes.) wrapped in foil until corn was done. Served with caprese salad and a 2009 Wellington Zinfandel.

Kind of pumped about the pink ring, they were darn tasty. Hope everyone had a great 4th, thanks for looking!

Cheers,
Chris
St. Louis, MO
Unit 1: LBGE, cedar table Unit 2:Akorn

Comments

• dharley
    dharley Posts: 377
    Options
    Nice cook!
    LBGE, PSWOO, 36" Blackstone, MasterBuilt smoke box- Playing with fire in Three Rivers, MI

My '23 & Me' said I'm 2/3 bacon and 1/3 Red Blooded American

USMC Veteran

Always do sober what you said you would drunk, that'll teach you to keep your mouth shut.  -EH
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options
    Salivating here...

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    My wife is from Jeff City, and while dating in college I was fed pork steak for the first time. This TN boy thought her family was backward watching them cook the steaks. That was until I took a bite. 

We joke that the technique and sauce recipe is the only good thing that we got out of her parents.   
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • TTC
    TTC Posts: 1,035
    Options
    And your effort is beautiful and has inspired me to make them tomorrow 
    XL BGE, Blackstone, Roccbox, Weber Gasser, Brown Water, Cigars --  Gallatin, TN

2001 Mastercraft Maristar 230 VRS

Ikon pass 

Colorado in the winter and the Lake in the Summer
  • johnmitchell
    johnmitchell Posts: 6,581
    Options
    That looks great and special points given for the fork and half eaten cob in your pic  ;)
    Greensboro North Carolina
    When in doubt Accelerate....
  • Sookie
    Sookie Posts: 335
    Options
    Bad Byron's is awesome, i always have some of that in my pantry!  Was that Blues win not spectacular???   Great cook on the pork steaks; we are making some of those tonight as well.

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    I grew up on Maull’s sauce. Last time I tried to order some, they appeared to be out of business. Did they re open? Awesome cook on the pork steaks!
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,365
    edited July 2019
    Options
    Haven’t seen that cut here, looks good 
    Jacksonville FL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    I'll bet that the phone call earlier was you inviting me to come enjoy that GREAT looking meal! I was raised in Centralia, MO over between Mexico, Columbia and Moberly. I have wonderful memories of "payday" meals of thinly cut, pan fried porksteak with rice!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Webass
    Webass Posts: 259
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Haven’t seen that cut here, looks good 
    Pork steak and country style ribs are sliced from the boston butt(pork shoulder).  I save a little and buy the whole pork butt on sale, sometimes as low as .99/lb. I ask the butcher to slice it and vac seal what we don't use right away.  As Chris shows above it's very good eating!   

Lenoir City, TN -  Bama fan in Tenn Vol's backyard. 

LBGE, Weber Spirit