Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mahogany Table Build -- Some Final Pics

2»

Comments

• Wow! Beautiful table! Nice job!
  • doubleapex
    doubleapex Posts: 82
    Kent8621 said:
    thats nice, make sure you get some sort of air gap under the egg before the paver.  you have created a heat sync just sitting it on the paver i would hate to see you ignite that amazing table.
    So here's the thing...I did think this through quite a bit.

I'm not using pavers.  These are insulating fire bricks, so they do not get hot.  I've felt the bricks and wood below after a 350-400 degree cook and it was cool to the touch.  The bottom of the egg was still very hot.  Also, the small gaps between the fire bricks line up with the gaps in the wood--that area has a large air gap...theoretically at least.

The reason I've gone this route is, I  don't want to raise the egg any higher.

Still think this is unsafe?
  • doubleapex

Table is awesome, how do we get a bottle of the van winkle?
    You definitely have to know someone...!  
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    i would personally ditch the bricks completely and just use the air gap of a table nest and it wouldn't adjust your height.  if the bricks were cool to the touch, just check underneath everything if you decide to leave the bricks, 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• doubleapex
    Kent8621 said:
    i would personally ditch the bricks completely and just use the air gap of a table nest and it wouldn't adjust your height.  if the bricks were cool to the touch, just check underneath everything if you decide to leave the bricks, 
    so the table next raises the egg 1.75 inches, and the bricks are 1 inch.  Almost twice as high haha.  

In all seriousness, I know I need to keep an eye on it.  If the wood is getting to hot I'll have to make a change for sure.
  • yzzi
    yzzi Posts: 1,843

Table is awesome, how do we get a bottle of the van winkle?
    You definitely have to know someone...!  
    Pleasure to meet you lol!
    Dunedin, FL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The insulated fire bricks should be fine.  Keep an eye on it if you do pizza. 

Pretty darn sweeeeeet! A work of art!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    AWESOME!!!  What's the tall door nect to the cooler door for?  Plate Setter?

Also, get a table nest so you don't burn that thing to the ground.  Put a big floor tile underneath it to be extra safe.  That paver isn't an insulator, it's a conductor.
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Man, that is one fine table.  Very nice fit and finish.  Superb!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • BeerMike
    BeerMike Posts: 317
    Wow!  😮 
    I think it's time for another beer!
    BGEing since 2003
    2 Large BGEs 
    Sold small BGE, 3rd and 4th large BGEs and XL BGE (at wife's "request"....sad face)
    Living the dream in Wisconsin
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Beautiful.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • Beautiful table did you use pocket hole jig & screws ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • JNDATHP
    JNDATHP Posts: 461
    Absolutely beautiful!
    Michael
    Large BGE
    Reno, NV
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Great looking table. Nice job.
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• KiterTodd
    KiterTodd Posts: 2,466
    Beautiful table.

I agree, put an air gap under the egg, and then put something fire proof under the air gap (granite slab, tile, fire bricks, etc.)  I have seen dozens and dozens of pictures of people who swear by their setup, and then when they disassemble it to move they find a big burn patch under their insulating layer.  And yes, some have caused fires.  Just be safe, throw an air gap in.  If the egg raises up an inch, it's not awful.  It'll give you a little more of an air gap between the side of the egg and your table as well.

But again, gorgeous work.  Thanks for sharing it.
    LBGE/Maryland
  • JohnEggGio
    JohnEggGio Posts: 1,430
    That really is beautiful- suitable for a living room...too nice for my (sloppy) style of cooking.  I’d have grease everywhere within a week.
    Maryland, 1 LBGE
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    flynduc said:
    Wow, beautiful table!  Where is the order form located so that I can place my order, ha?
    $5k plus shipping.  Let me know when you want it haha
    so only 3 grand without the built-in cooler????
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.
  • AWESOME!!!  What's the tall door nect to the cooler door for?  Plate Setter?

Also, get a table nest so you don't burn that thing to the ground.  Put a big floor tile underneath it to be extra safe.  That paver isn't an insulator, it's a conductor.
    I have my tools hanging inside there and the plate setter.

I'm not using pavers.  These are insulating fire bricks, so they do not get hot.  I've felt the bricks and wood below after a 350-400 degree cook and it was cool to the touch.  The bottom of the egg was still very hot.  Also, the small gaps between the fire bricks line up with the gaps in the wood--that area has a large air gap...theoretically at least.
  • Beautiful table did you use pocket hole jig & screws ?
    Yes... lots and lots of those.  That's the only way I could build this without any visible screws!  :)
  • flynduc said:
    Wow, beautiful table!  Where is the order form located so that I can place my order, ha?
    $5k plus shipping.  Let me know when you want it haha
    so only 3 grand without the built-in cooler????
    The cooler is only $300.  Removing the pull out drawer would probably save another $100 (because you still need a cabinet door).  So, $4,600 without the built in cooler :)
  • speed51133
    speed51133 Posts: 691
    I know. I was commenting on just in the process of yeti coolers 😛
    XL BGE and Kamado Joe Jr.