Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Anyone ever wax your egg?

Options
I know there are going to be some perv comments from the title, and that's OK, let it fly.  But I was looking for a product to kind of restore my 10 year old medium's wooden handle, and came across this:

It worked really good on the handle, so I then wiped the bands, and other metal surfaces on my egg.  Holy crap, they looked almost brand new from it.  They had previously had a powdery oxidation look that they were taking on.  So then my brain says, what about the enamel on the outside of the egg?  Boom, that looks brand new (ish) too!  Next thing I knew, I was waxing the kamado joe jr too, and that thing looks better than new now too!  This might go into regular maintenance for me, I am impressed.

Before:

After:

I am sure when this guy does its next meat sweat, it will all go away, but it looks like a new egg, for now.

Comments

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Nice, let us know what happens after your next higher temp cook.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    No. Why?  Wax your car. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I try to limit my waxing to smaller carbon count fatty acids with lower melting points due to the increase in friction from increased viscosity. 

That said, the before and after is miraculous. 
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    No. Why?  Wax your car. 
    I explained why. And yes the car waxing is something I do. Some people like everything to shine. I don’t care either way, the first pic of the medium sums up it’s 10 year existence. But this product reversed that for anyone inclined. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    To each his own brother. I have enough to do without creating more work. That’s all. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,663
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    To each his own brother. I have enough to do without creating more work. That’s all. 
    That is how I feel about waxing a car.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That is how I feel about waxing a car.
    Then my car looks better than yours. And it’s paint lasts longer. Given I’m a car enthusiast. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Looks better I am sure but I have never worn out a paint job.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I promise your responses took more effort than wiping an egg down. 
    I promise my car looks prettier than yours  =)
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    I promise your responses took more effort than wiping an egg down. 
    I promise my car looks prettier than yours  =)
    Congratulations.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Seriously, why does it matter?  I have 3 eggs. They’ve all survived meat sweats and Georgia weather. Sometimes their dusty, or polleny, or moldy. I don’t really care. They cook well even when they look like @JohnInCarolina’s MM. So again, to each his own. I’m gonna wax my car and spill grease on my egg. Thanks for your post. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Seriously, why does it matter?  I have 3 eggs. They’ve all survived meat sweats and Georgia weather. Sometimes their dusty, or polleny, or moldy. I don’t really care. They cook well even when they look like @JohnInCarolina’s MM. So again, to each his own. I’m gonna wax my car and spill grease on my egg. Thanks for your post. 
    feel free to move along at anytime
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    That’s rude. No perv comments you brought up. Sorry you’re close minded. Never took you for that. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    I’ll let your post alone. Sorry for being honest. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    That’s rude. No perv comments you brought up. Sorry you’re close minded. Never took you for that. 
    I've explained that I dont have an investment either way, just passing on the info.  You have explained your point over and over, I was merely offering that you dont have to hang in this thread if it really bothers you.  Its for someones benefit, obviously not yours.  No offense meant here, but I dont know how to satisfy your questions.  I cleaned a handle, then tried the rest of the egg.  It looked kinda cool.  The end.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I did think about waxing my semi truck today
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• bgebrent
    Options
    It benefits no one. That’s what you missed. Peace. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I dont always come off right online, its a flaw in this type of communication.  Sorry to rub you wrong, I apologize.  If you lived closer, I would wax your eggs for you.  
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I dont always come off right online, its a flaw in this type of communication.  Sorry to rub you wrong, I apologize.  If you lived closer, I would wax your eggs for you.  
    That’s the cookingdude555 I thought was behind this post. I don’t either. You’re a good contributor. And I wax my 911, not my eggs😉
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    That’s the cookingdude555 I thought was behind this post. I don’t either. You’re a good contributor. And I wax my 911, not my eggs😉
    Well, we cant all drive a prius.  But I accept your shortcomings anyway. :)
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    @cookingdude555 I will try this with you, I have some of that very same mineral oil, it will only take a second to wipe it down and make it look nice again!
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• cookingdude555
    Options
    @cookingdude555 I will try this with you, I have some of that very same mineral oil, it will only take a second to wipe it down and make it look nice again!
    I am afraid this was a bad idea.  I need to get back to being ok with the egg looking like a mess.  @bgebrent, tried to rescue me, but I initially refused his rescue efforts.  I may be in trouble.
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bgebrent said:
    Well, we cant all drive a prius.  But I accept your shortcomings anyway. :)
    I hope one day to make you car sick in the N. GA Mountains in my 911.  Open invitation. 
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I've only been to georgia once, but if I ever get back,  you have your +1.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    Isn't the glaze porous? So some of that oil slurry is under the glaze now. I'm interested to see it after the first cook. It looks good right now though. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Personally, I’m a fan. Keeps them shining and makes it easier to wipe grease and spot off of ‘em. 

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1194590/pimp-my-egg/p1
  • billt01
    billt01 Posts: 1,530
    Options
    I did think about waxing my semi truck today
    fleeting thoughts...
    Have:
     XLBGE / Stumps Baby XL / Couple of Stokers (Gen 1 and Gen 3) / Blackstone 36 / Maxey 3x5 water pan hog cooker
    Had:
    LBGE / Lang 60D / Cookshack SM150 / Stumps Stretch / Stumps Baby

Fat Willies BBQ
    Ola, Ga

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,979
    Options
    This stuff - they've done studies and, 60% of the time, it works every time:

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike