Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Tough brisket flat

Options
I'm trying to learn how to cook good brisket on the egg.  I've cooked three.  The first one was only a flat and was delicious as well as very tender.  The next two were whole packer briskets: the point was great, the flat was like eating leather.  All three were cooked at a temp 250 for about 4 hours when I checked for color, then wrapped until around 200 degrees, internal temp.  When I pulled them the internal temp was around 160-165.  I wrapped them in a double layer or aluminum foil.  This last attempt, from the time I put it back on the grill until the internal temp was 200 took only 1 to 2 hours.  This was a 13 pound brisket.  I probed it for the "buttah" feeling and could tell it was tough.  But I was worried about over cooking it.  Not sure why the meat is finishing so quickly.  Shouldn't this take about 8-10 hours?  Any help would be appreciated.  

Comments

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Two thoughts.

1) What grade of beef?  Getting a great flat requires that you start with great beef (at least in my hands).

2) It's possible that at 200 the flat is still undercooked.  I've had to go to 203 fairly often and as high as 208 on one occasion.

I hope that helps.

Hopefully some others can contribute.

And welcome aboard.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• sooner.atkins
    Options
    Thanks for the comment.  The beef, I think was choice, but it may have been select.  
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I dry brine mine with salt 24-48 hours ahead, helps a bunch 
  • CornfedMA
    CornfedMA Posts: 491
    Options
    Not sure what you’re using for a temp gauge, whether it be the dome or something else, but be sure it’s calibrated. If you say you’re running 250, but it’s only taking you 6 hrs to cook a 13 lb packer that is coming out dry and tough, you could be cooking at a much higher temp than you think. 
  • lightningQ
    lightningQ Posts: 38
    Options
    I like to put about a 1/4-1/2 cup of black coffee on the bottom of my foil when i wrap.  it helps tenderize the flat and keep it moist.  I always take mine to 207 -208 internal.   I also suggest as @CornfedMA said check your calibrations.  As an adder i also go by grate temp and not the dome on long cooks but that is my method others may disagree, but i like to know the temp where the meat is actually located during the cook. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,143
    Options
    Keep it simple. 

Salt and pepper rub

smoke at 225

start probing when internal temp hits 190

when everywhere probes like melted butter, wrap in aluminum foil, then a towel, and leave in a warm cooler for at least an hour

slice pencil thick against the grain

Tough brisket is almost always undercooked brisket. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• jtcBoynton
    jtcBoynton Posts: 2,814
    Options
    Time to cook was short, probed tough, and internal temp is below what is commonly found to be a finishing temp.  All point to being underdone and needing to cook more.

Not sure why the meat is finishing so quickly.

Seems like it isn't.

Southeast Florida - LBGE
    In cooking, often we implement steps for which we have no explanations other than ‘that’s what everybody else does’ or ‘that’s what I have been told.’  Dare to think for yourself.

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    100% agree it is underdone.
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    As is noted above, it is all about the feel in the thick part of the flat, independent of temperature. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • wardo
    wardo Posts: 398
    Options
    Time to cook was short, probed tough, and internal temp is below what is commonly found to be a finishing temp.  All point to being underdone and needing to cook more.

Not sure why the meat is finishing so quickly.

Seems like it isn't.

I agree with this assessment.  Dry briskets are over cooked and tough ones are under cooked from what I can tell.
    NC - LBGE