Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Poll - Do You Refrigerate Syrup?

Options
WeberWho
WeberWho Posts: 11,026
Going off DoubleEgger posts about bbq sauce, do you refrigerate your syrup?

I made pancakes this morning when my mother in law stopped over. She was helping me put things aways from breakfast and went to put the syrup in the refrigerator. She goes, "Does this go in the fridge?" I told her we store the syrup in the pantry. She keeps hers in the fridge. 

I didn't realize people keep syrup in the fridge. I think real maple syrup needs to be in the fridge but not the fake corn syrup stuff. It's probably no different than ketchup in/out of the fridge.

Anyone keep their syrup in the fridge?
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I dont keep it on hand now, but when I did always in the fridge 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • cookingdude555
    cookingdude555 Posts: 3,194
    edited June 2019
    Options
    For me, real goes in the fridge. But mostly what we use is the fake stuff, and growing up it never went in the fridge. So we don’t put it in now, either. 
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,648
    Options
    We make our own and keep it in the fridge.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Good timing.

Just this morning, I poured some maple syrup onto my pancake, and noted a snot-like glob coming out of the spout as well. Never happened with maple syrup that stays refrigerated, or with Ms. Butterworth (still my all-time favorite, and I’m not ashamed to admit it). 

So, I’m probably converting to the “maple syrup should be refrigerated” camp.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    My dad never refrigerated real maple syrup and he never seemed to have any problems, or taste a difference, but once it's open, I always put it in the fridge.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options
    Maple syrup goes in the fridge, sorghum is in the pantry.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    always left maple syrup in the cupboard.  the mold on it is safe to eat or you can strain it out, heat it up and rebottle. only seen the mold once.  cold syrup on warm pancakes is so wrong
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HendersonTRKing
    HendersonTRKing Posts: 1,803
    Options
    In fridge to keep from developing mold. 

Microwave in small glass bowl to warm before serving.

Don't believe what you read in polls.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Nope

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• CtTOPGUN
    CtTOPGUN Posts: 612
    Options
    Pantry for me. Never had an issue. Real or fake.
    LBGE/Weber Kettle/Blackstone 36" Griddle/Turkey Fryer/Induction Burner/Royal Gourmet 24" Griddle/Cuisinart Twin Oaks/Pit Boss Tabletop pellet smoker/Instant Pot

BBQ from the State of Connecticut!

Jim
  • Thatgrimguy
    Thatgrimguy Posts: 4,729
    Options
    I've probably never had real maple syrup. My karo, Mrs. Buttersworth and IHOP butter pecan are all in the pantry!
    XL, Small, Mini & Mini Max Green Egg, Shirley Fab Trailer, 6 gal and 2.5 gal Cajun Fryers, BlueStar 60" Range, 48" Lonestar Grillz Santa Maria, Alto Shaam 1200s, Gozney Dome, Gateway 55g Drum
  • Markarm4119
    Markarm4119 Posts: 526
    Options
    Pantry for Log Cabin and pure Maple syrup. Never had an issue .
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,760
    Options
    I've probably never had real maple syrup. My karo, Mrs. Buttersworth and IHOP butter pecan are all in the pantry!
    Mrs Butterworth was my first experience
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    Real maple syrup requires refrigeration.  Corn syrup based stuff does not, unless it's that fruit flavored stuff.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    smokingal said:
    Real maple syrup requires refrigeration.  Corn syrup based stuff does not, unless it's that fruit flavored stuff.
    Totally agree. Had to throw out what remained of a quart of real maple syrup last month. Had mold and was put in the pantry. Refrigeration would have prevented that.  Never buy the fake stuff. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    Refrigerate the Hungry Jack after each use. It has a thermometer on it, so you microwave until it shows “ready”. Use it, then put back in fridge.  Easy peasy 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Refrigerate the Hungry Jack after each use. It has a thermometer on it, so you microwave until it shows “ready”. Use it, then put back in fridge.  Easy peasy 
    Try the real stuff some time. You might like it. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    seriously have only seen real maple syrup mold once in my life, you get it in the winter when the sap flows and someone drops off a bottle, its gone before the blueberry season ends ;) the only bottle ive seen mold in wasnt even opened, i assume everybody buys from the refrigerator section. this microwave thing confuses me, do i need to buy one for pancakes
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • EagleIII
    EagleIII Posts: 415
    Options
    Off-the-shelf-grocery-store syrup never needs refrigeration.  The no kidding real maple syrup, yes, I have seen it mold after opening, so I refrigerate it...