Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What's Your All-Time Favorite Cook?

Options
Ok guys and gals,  if you had to pick one meal to cook on your green beauty what would it be?
LBGE, MM, & Mini. Weber Smokey Joe for a knockabout. 
"Honestly, Honey!  Just one more Egg, and one more gun, and I'll be done!"

Comments

• MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Options
    Bone in chicken breasts if I had to pick one. The Egg really does a great job with poultry among other things. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Hans61
    Hans61 Posts: 3,901
    Options
    Faves will always be reverse seared thick steaks with garlic/Parmesan compound butter and loin back pork ribs. But love so many more too
    “There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body.”
    Coach Finstock Teen Wolf
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Beef plate ribs

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Options
    There's just something special about a perfectly cooked thick poke chop off the Egg.
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    Some may call it pedestrian, but I give you the mighty pork butt.  Super easy and fun to cook.  They smell great cooking all day.  They are a proven component to a good BBQ party or make a bunch of pulled pork to stock the freezer.  You can’t go wrong cooking pork butts.  Added bonus:  you can have fun with the name.
    Flint, Michigan
  • MeTed
    MeTed Posts: 800
    Options
    Meatloaf!
    Belleville, Michigan

Just burnin lump in Sumpter
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    lamb ribs
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    @smokingal with all the creative genius cooks you produce, I'm not buying lamb ribs for a minute.  But I will say you can do them much better than me.  B)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    Options
    @lousubcap You don't believe anything I say, lol.  Lamb ribs are the very first thing I ever tossed onto a smoker and remain my favorite.  They can be done in a matter of hours as opposed to a month or more of prep work and 12+ hours of smoking, followed by more cooking.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • vb4677
    vb4677 Posts: 686
    Options
    The most surprising meal so far was some locally made Italian sausages with peppers & onions I sauteed in one of those perforated wok things.  So cheap, yet SO delightfully tasty!

Other than that, the fave off the LBGE is Beef Ribs.  "Brisket on a Stick" for the win!
    Kansas City: Too Much City for One State - Missouri side
    2 Large BGE's, Instant Pot, Anova Sous Vide, and a gas smoker...
    Barbeque, Homebrew and Blues...
  • unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited June 2019
    Options
    3pm on Saturday  ;)
  • Theophan
    Theophan Posts: 2,654
    Options
    Man, this is interesting!  Some of the things I see listed above wouldn't be on my list at ALL, much less at the top.  You guys must do a LOT better with them than I do!  Sometimes I cook a 1/2" steak when I just don't feel like messing with a reverse sear, but no, not my top of the list!

It's really, really hard to pick just one thing.  How do you choose between a perfect steak and really good smoked ribs?  Apples and oranges, just not the same thing at all.  Korean-style chicken skewers, that Raichlen recipe for "Gulf Coast Shrimp."  Brisket, pork butt?

Maybe just because it was fairly recent, I'm leaning toward the last steak I cooked.  I threw in a couple of chunks of hickory during the low-and-slow part, and even after the sear there was some wonderful smoky flavor that made me think of a wood camp fire.  It was wonderful.  I really think it was the best steak I've ever had.  Very simple, just reverse seared steak with a little smoke.  Might have been salt and pepper, might have put some Dizzy Pig Cow Lick on it, I don't remember, but MAN it was good.

But every time I made those spare ribs with Smoke & Spice's recipe for bourbon BBQ sauce I think it's so good it should be ILLEGAL!  ;)  I don't know. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Boiled water. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    Shrimp and Chorizo Fundido for an appetizer. Perfectly cooked pork tenderloins with a hot pepper glaze. Baked sweet potatoes.
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,268
    Options
    Tell me more about the Shrimp and Chorizo Fundido. That got my attention @Gulfcoastguy ! Recipe please.
    Mountain View, CA
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,305
    Options
    dmourati said:
    Tell me more about the Shrimp and Chorizo Fundido. That got my attention @Gulfcoastguy ! Recipe please.
    I am not at home at the moment. I posted the cook back around Christmas. I didn’t post the recipe because the author of the book it came from does business with Big Green Egg company. If I forget ask me Monday and I will get the info to you.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,396
    Options
    smokingal said:
    @lousubcap You don't believe anything I say, lol.  Lamb ribs are the very first thing I ever tossed onto a smoker and remain my favorite.  They can be done in a matter of hours as opposed to a month or more of prep work and 12+ hours of smoking, followed by more cooking.
    @smokingal Ever the trusting soul here (aka true belief), I still have couple of lamb rib racks in the freezer and will transition one to the thaw phase for consumption later this week. 
    I will have a back-up plan at the ready so I won't starve.  =)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,491
    Options

:triumph:

Tin soldiers and Johnson's coming...

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    meatloaf

Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Beef Ribs
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Bayou_Buzzard
    Options
    Tough call between meatloaf and paella. 
    From the shores of Lake Michigan.  Grand Haven.
    Unsalted and Shark Free
    XL.  Woo Adjustable Rig Combo.  Flame Boss 300.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    I’m going with Paula Dean.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    I’m going with Paula Dean.
    There is always one in the group....

It is tough to decide my favorite. Each one can be so different form another. If I had to choose, either lamb (ribs or leg) or a duck, but in a close third is a thicker reverse seared ribeye. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    @DoubleEgger beat me to it.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Since he took my first choice, I'll chime in with a Cap of ribeye steak.  Followed closely by a reverse sear tomahawk ribeye
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Changed my mind.....peach glazed pork butt, smoked with peach wood. @fence0407 post changed my mind.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dannys
    dannys Posts: 164
    Options
    I'm not sure I have ONE all time favorite. I love a good rib eye steak, rack of lamb, swordfish, etc.

Based on the response when feeding crowds I would say that the bourbon, vanilla pork tenderloins with grilled peaches in the biggest hit.