Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Can’t keep L egg at 300

Options
I stir the old charcoal until i see the particles have fallen through the holes, then fill to the line with new lump. I use a propane torch to light in 3 spots, easily starts and gets climbing with bottom and top open. I have the new reggulator top, not the daisy wheel. I close the bottom to an inch, and close the top to about a half inch of air flow. It gets to 300 and i add my soaked (for 2 hours) wood chips, and my egg smoker plate thing. Put my grate over it and bone-in skin on chicken thighs. I then keep fighting the grill because its climbing to 350-400 so fast, i open the top to get the temp back down, close the reggulator to the point of almost completely shut, and have the bottom vent open a half inch and it still climbs. I am a newbie, and love how i can sear a steak at such high heats, but have trouble maintaining low temps. Help!

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    bikesAndBBQ Posts: 284
    Options
    What do you mean open the top to get the temp back down?
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Close the vents not open. When you open the top to let the hot air out, what you really are doing is increasing the draft velocity from the bottom. Close the bottom further. 
  • ckhell
    ckhell Posts: 8
    Options
    I open the lid to make the temp go down, which works, but doesn’t last long. Also, i have both draft parts so close to completely shut, i dont see anither option. 
    Could a reason be that there is too much ash built up underneath? I don’t clean out old ash from the bottom too often, actually just got the egg ash cleaner today. 
  • ckhell
    Options
    And really don’t need to soak the wood chips? Thats wonderful news!
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    Opening the top will drop the temp for a little but ultimately raise the temp as you give it a huge dose of oxygen when you do that. Seems that you aren’t letting the temps stabilize enough. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • ckhell
    Options
    How long should I let temp stabilize when cooking at a lower heat typically?
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,977
    Options
    ckhell said:
    You do not.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ckhell said:
    I open the lid to make the temp go down, which works, but doesn’t last long. 
    That’s because you’re adding oxygen to the primary heat source.  All you’re doing when you open the dome and close it like that is to briefly expose the dome (and it’s thermo) to some cooler air.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    ckhell said:
    You do not.
    Just in case you think ol’ John is pulling your leg (which he’s sometimes known to do), here’s a credible resource that covers the issue very thoroughly: https://amazingribs.com/more-technique-and-science/more-cooking-science/myth-soak-your-wood-first
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ckhell said:
    I open the lid to make the temp go down, which works, but doesn’t last long. Also, i have both draft parts so close to completely shut, i dont see anither option. 
    Could a reason be that there is too much ash built up underneath? I don’t clean out old ash from the bottom too often, actually just got the egg ash cleaner today. 
    You are letting the fire get too large/hot from
    the jump. Ash buildup will hamper the temp from rising. You have too much air for your temp and/or the fire is being allowed to grow too large for the temp desired. Same issue really. Get about a softball size area of coal going and close the lid. Once closed, begin to close the vents down as the temp rises. Starting at say 1/2 way for each. Once you breach 200 then fail the bottom down to about 1/2”. If the temps continue to rise then dampen further both top and bottom. 
  • ckhell
    Options
    How often do you guys suggest cleaning out the ash from the bottom?
    Also, how long do you suggest letting it get to temp before adding meat?
  • pgprescott
    Options
    ckhell said:
    How often do you guys suggest cleaning out the ash from the bottom?
    I do it as a matter of habit and ritual almost every time. This is totally unnecessary. If you doing normal grilling say an hour or less, every 4-6 uses is fine. If you are doing pork butts and brisket more frequently.

Once the grill is stable, add the product.  
  • ckhell
    Options
    Thank you everyone! 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    ckhell said:

I’m usually waiting an hour before putting the protein on.
  • bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I like to let temps stabilize for about 30 minutes.  Some like to stabilize longer. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Sammi
    Sammi Posts: 598
    Options
    @ckhell You may want to try running various temps without protein in the egg. Without opening the egg, shoot for 300, 350, 400 maintaining each for at least 30-45 min. Start with the lower temps and move up, the reverse is more difficult.
    Sudbury, Ontario
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Also put the plate setter in earlier. It will absorb heat too. 

You can also use less charcoal. Doesn't have to be full every time.

I clean mine out when there is 2-3'' of ash in the bottom. I use a shop vac from the top so I can clean out the small round vent holes too.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I let the temp go 25 degrees past what I want, in your case 325. 

I then close the bottom to the width of my thumb and then add my grills and heat diffuser

this will drop the temp by about 50. Close the rEGGulator to about 1/2 inch and let things stabilize. 

If your racing to shoot past 300 adjust accordingly and likewise if forward progress stops give it a tough more air up top.

I like this method as it gets some residual heat in the ceramic and also gets the draft pulling air and smoke cleanly. It’s so consistent I setup the egg this way before church, put the ribs on and leave for an hour and a half and come back to the temp exactly where I left it (272)
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    edited June 2019
    Options
    ckhell said:

Crazy talk.  If you know your vent settings, you can light, let it catch and then set your vents and have your meat on in 20 minutes or so once you are familiar with your own egg. *

*under time pressure situations.  Otherwise, JiC's rules stand and allow for more supervisory beverages.
    NOLA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ckhell said:

Crazy talk.  If you know your vent settings, you can light, let it catch and then set your vents and have your meat on in 20 minutes or so once you are familiar with your own egg. *

*under time pressure situations.  Otherwise, JiC's rules stand and allow for more supervisory beverages.
    Typically for me I’m waiting at least 30 minutes for the bad smoke to clear, and then at that point yeah I can usually throw it on if I know I’m going to be around and it’s a short cook.  So no problem for steaks.

For true low and slows overnight, I’ll just wait longer to make sure the temps are genuinely stabilized.  
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    ckhell said:

20-30 minutes if you light it with a torch.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • OshawaDave
    OshawaDave Posts: 198
    Options

A lot of good comments.

FWIW, I cooked a spatchcock chicken on the weekend raised direct at 375 degrees and I had bottom vent open 1/8" and the daisy wheel open 1/2 to maintain 375.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"